beachesl

Back from the press conference. Frank Yallop told me that as far as he knows, it is between Vancouver or Edmonton, "and it's 50/50 at this point", for the third home game. He said that the announcement would be made "before August 1".

As to the possibility of another site, he said that he was not aware of any in the running, but that if the CSA were to consider this, he said that he told the CSA generally wanted an opportunity to check out the facilities before any decision. He said a major reason for being in Edmonton today was to go to Commonwealth Stadium this afternoon to reacquaint himself with the facilities. He said that one of the things he has promised the players is that he would always check out any locations beforehand.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

I thought they wanted a cold weather venue for the October game. Vancouver wouldn't offer that. I figured that Winipeg or Edmonton would be better choices. We need to freeze Costa Rica.

I directly asked Yallop that. He said that the important thing was facilities, and that was the player's concern as well. He said that the players thought that the cool of the evening was good enough for advantage.

Before the conference, I asked him for a hint about October 13, and he looked at the ASA/CSA guys (John Gill and Mike Trafficant, the chairman of ASA and a member of the CSA board) he had just been introduced to, and said that there may be an anoouncement. After the conference he gave me the "50/50" quote. He may have thought that the local organizers had gone further about following a CSA request to explore October 13 further (they obviously had just been concentrating on Sept 4) and thought that there was a possibility that it may be announced at the conference. I got the impression that he thought Edmonton in mid-October for the weather was a great idea to him, but he was careful not to state a prefernce.

As discussed before, there are logistical problems with setting a second game in Edmonton, not insurmountable, but significant, problems that would not be applicable to Swangard.

After the "50/50" quote, I asked him about alternative sites such as Laurentian, Pobillard and King George in St. John's and this is when he told me, without wanting to comment on these sites, that he had told the CSA that if other sites were considered, he would have to check them out first. I think that he views one of his primary goals is to riverbed everything for his players to avoid any surprises. He distinctly left the impression, without giving any other reasons, that his players preferred to play in Edmonton and Vancouver for this series, for whatever reasons. He said that the extra travel to these sites was a consideration , but just one of many.

Yeah, I find it weird that only Edm and Vcr are in the running. Don't get me wrong, Southern Ontario has been blessed with 2 matches recently so I can't complain. But what about Montreal...or Winnipeg (or the Turks and Caicos)? I know, I know - facilities, blah, blah, blah - pro-cdn crowds, blah, blah, blah. More blah and then some.

Still...spread the love, chums.

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

Yeah, I find it weird that only Edm and Vcr are in the running. Don't get me wrong, Southern Ontario has been blessed with 2 matches recently so I can't complain. But what about Montreal...or Winnipeg (or the Turks and Caicos)? I know, I know - facilities, blah, blah, blah - pro-cdn crowds, blah, blah, blah. More blah and then some.

Still...spread the love, chums.

It's a tough call. Part of me thinks that the national team can play anywhere the hell they wanted - the remotest area of the country if they feel like, over and over again - as long as we qualify for the World Cup and all the matches are televised. :)

I wonder how much benefit a team gets by really "knowing" a stadium and its pitch? Then again, the whole home-field-advantage effect has always blown me away. I wouldn't believe it exists if the stats weren't so overwhelmingly convincing.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Actually, my friend from Minnesota considers Eastern Ontario a part of Southern Ontario. ;) [:P]

All of Canada is a suburb of Southern Ontario, so he's right. Never forget speaking of such things at a wedding on Lake Huron and this local guest tries to convince us BCers that it is not that way, beginning his sentences with phrases like "well, here in Canada...". Telling.

Archived