Anyone have following info on Jonathan DeGuzman

Grizzly

A German poster on another website I post on has asked me for the following info:

birthdate, height, postion, contract valid until, stats/playing history etc.

I actually don't know much about Jonathan other than that he plays for Feyernoord and is well regarded.

He is only 16, turns 17 next September 13 I believe. No use talking contract as he is a youth player. As far as I know, you can not be signed as a pro until you turn 18 if you are non-UEFA. Height and weight TBD (not done yet). Was the top scorer in the national U17 league in Holland, moved up to the U19s mid season and was again dominant. Scored the winner in the U19 Cup final a few weekends ago as Feyenoord beat Willem II 1-0. You can find more info at www.feyenoord.nl. He's been at Feyenoord since he was 13 years old. Plays an attacking midfield position usually. Probably the top youth prospect in Holland, let alone Canada.

yea he said he "still has time to decide" i believe

i hope he choses us......at least it would make more sense if he chose holland over us than whoregraves since he's actually lived in HOlland for a nuber ot years......the whore owen just started playin for some country where hehad never previously lived (rite?)

Thanks Ed. I didn't realize he was that young. I couldn't find anything on him on the Feyenoord site other than some game reports in Dutch that with my German and English I could understand about 50% of. From standing next to him in Kingston, he is taller than Julian, maybe about 5'10". "Still has time to decide" was indeed what he said in Kingston.

I hope Jonathan chooses Canada. I would be very disappointed, of course, if he chose The Netherlands. (Though the way the Dutch have been performing in major competitions these days, one has to wonder if it is that much better playing over there. Many other lesser European lights are gaining fast on the clog-heels of the Dutch. Change is afoot in the European arena.)

I find it disgusting when an individual born and raised in one country opts to play their football for an other. If this means Bircham gets booted from our squad, so be it. I am starting to really appreciate Bircham, and I am flattered he's chosen to play for us, but I hate to see these defections (and Canada is not the only country who has seen this happen.)

Mostly, though, I love the idea of the DeGuzmann's ripping it up together in our midfield. Just imagine this as our future midfield:

Julian out left, Atiba holding, Jonathan attacking, Hume out right

That would be a sweet midfield for 2010.

Radzinski was born in Poland, and came here when he was 13 yrs old I think. Are you disgusted with him for playing for Canada?

Ed, I know you have no issues with OH's defection. And I respect your right to have an opinion. Really.

But there are pretty valid reasons for people holding resentment towards him vs. holding no resentment to other players who have played for countries other than their birth counntries.

Radz situation is different from OH. Rafz fled a country where communism stifled any chance of a prosperous life, and had the family returned right after they left, they would likely have been incarcerated or worse. Canada opened its arms to his family, and like many immigrants, Radz probably feels a great deal of gratitude. So why not turn out for Canada at soccer?

I think even you would agree that OH's decision was made for purely selfish reasons. Maybe you've moved on, but I think its fair for people to think OH is a selfish so and so. Is that productive? Probably not, but what at all is productive about any of us yammering about soccer on a forum board when we could be working ar doing something to make the world a better place.

PS. re Jonathan DG: if he did opt to play for Holland I would be bummed out but I guess I couldn't blame him as he really did learn his soccer there and he has lived there much of his life. His life experiences from age 12-16 (which are Dutch) are probably more deeply etched in his mind than 0-12. If he said he felt Dutch, it wouldn't seem so horribly untrue unlike OH's English statement.

Everyone has their own views on the Hargreaves situation, I guess.

He didn't pick Canada and I felt bad about it... ...but maybe I have moved on. Instead of feeling too much resentment towards him, I would much rather channel my energy to support the guys who are willing to make the sacrifices to play for Canada.

I hope to see Jonathan playing for us one day... ...

Funny thing maybe but I think the decision has already been made. And it was made for him.

Wouldn't you want to play along side your brother? Especially if your brother was looking likely to have a long and important international career.

I would.

it looks like, in retrospect, hargreaves made a pretty good decision. in the end, it's his choice. he had the opportunity to (hate to use this term) "better" his career by opting for a supposed world power and he took it. not only that, he started for his adopted country in the world cup against argentina. i seem to recall certain pundits in canada claiming he wouldn't amount to anything in an england shirt. with english and welsh parents, not to mention extended family, as well as a father who was a devoted wanderers fan (and i believe played semi-pro football in england), i don't begrudge him feeling sympathies towards what is, his heritage.

i should think de guzman would follow his brother into the canadian midfield, but if the oranje came calling, could we really blame him? i'm sure mr. vogts, given his recent call-ups, wouldn't have minded handing iain hume a cap or two, let alone, as mentioned above, the poles giving tomasz a call - so it's a two way street.

in the end - personal decision, and something TO be selfish about. i, despite living in england, would turn out for canada every time - but i can certainly understand the decisions of those who don't.

I imagine that De Guzman could be influenced by the prospects of playing for Holland. I would say from a practical point of view their are two things that may influence against this that were no evident with Hargreaves. One, his parents aren't Dutch and will not be "emotionally" attached to the country or the Orange football side. Second, his brother looks to be a fixture in the Canadian side for years.

On Hargreaves, not sure whether playing for England has furthered his career. He's still with Bayern Munich and certainly seems that he is only a reserve player on that side. Sure, he's started some matches when there have been injuries and played some important games but not sure it has improved his chances of playing at a higher level or been lucrative in any way financially for him. That being said, he would have been a fixture in our midfield and possibly benefited financially in Canada if he remained loyal to the country of his birth. Of course, that would have been at the expense of missing some major tournaments, even as a sub. But I can say for sure, that as a person leaving in the UK that it is clear that he will likely never be a household name here, a celebrity of any sort, or benefit directly or indirectly from his decision.

Guest Can. in UK

He may not be a household name for his football skills but most people know that he's "the Canadian guy" or "the guy with the Canadian hairdoo".

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

He may not be a household name for his football skills but most people know that he's "the Canadian guy" or "the guy with the Canadian hairdoo".

I assume you mean Hargreaves. What the hell is a "Canadian hairdoo"? I didn't know that there was a national hair-style. Very exciting.

My friend, how many English fans know that Hargreaves is not English? Do many care that he's not lived in England but still holds a spot on the team? Do many fans wish that the spot he holds was given to an Albion-born midfielder instead? In general, what is the response to Hargreaves in England?

the general feeling seems to be, "if he's good enough....."

most people who follow football are aware that he's canadian/welsh/german/english...seeing as they all wish that giggsy could play for england as well, they don't seem to care....just like they don't begrudge the english guy playing in the italian midfield during euro 2004 (born in manchester).

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

On Hargreaves, not sure whether playing for England has furthered his career. He's still with Bayern Munich and certainly seems that he is only a reserve player on that side. Sure, he's started some matches when there have been injuries and played some important games but not sure it has improved his chances of playing at a higher level or been lucrative in any way financially for him. .....

With all due respect, I think you are out to lunch. He is certainly not "only a reserve player" for Bayern. Rather than "starting some matches when there have been injuries", I think it's his injuries that limited his playing time. His starting position is his to lose. How can you possibly argue that playing for Canada would be more financially lucrative??

i agree that anyone that follows the English side generaly knows that he is Canadian and pretty much don't care (anymore than they care about Greg Rusedski or that we care about Bircham). But being a Canadian playing for England means that he is definitely less liked than most of the English players by the average fan. Look at Rusedski, they were thrilled to have him but his popularity doesn't come close to Henmans.

Hargreaves is a starter for Bayern and has been for several years. In the form he displayed in the last season whether due to injury or whatever he was not one of their stronger starters but is also not in danger to losing his spot to anyone currently in the Bayern system. On a German site in regards to rumours of a transfer to a top English club many Bayern fans were calling for an upgrade at his position and wouldn't be sad to see him leave if they could bring in a better replacement (as opposed to the DeGuzman thread where the Hannover fans all wanted to keep DeGuzman although admittely Hannover is not Bayern). Certainly he has not been as successful this year as his promise a few years ago seemed to indicate but this is not to say that next year he won't perform much better. However, I think the interest of top English clubs in him at his current form can be attributed largely to his playing for England. His England call ups in current form can also be attributed to a weakness and lack of depth at his position in England. However, even in current form he is far from being a Bayern reserve player and would have been an immense help for Canada at his position (noone would even be talking about Aguair if Hargreaves was holding down defensive mid). As much as I disagree with his decision to play for England it has without a doubt dramatically increased the possibility of his signing for a top English club which would provide him with a larger salary and more media exposure. Regardless of whatever low esteem one may or may not hold him in one has to give credit to his playing level and ability and he is still young and could become one of the top midfielders in Europe.

Archived