CP: Canada to Open World Cup Qualifying in.....

Canada to open next round of World Cup qualifying with two home games

(CP) - Canada will open the next round of World Cup qualifying at home, with games in Burnaby, B.C., and Edmonton.

After weekend contests elsewhere in the region, Canada now knows what lies ahead in the semifinal round of qualifying in the CONCACAF region, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The Canadian men, ranked 95th in the world, are in Group B with No. 26 Costa Rica, No. 55 Honduras and No. 87 Guatemala.

After home-and-away round-robin play, the top two will advance to the final CONCACAF round of six teams next year. The top three will earn berths at Germany 2006 with the fourth-place country taking on an Asian side in a playoff to join them.

Canada advanced to the semifinal round with an 8-0 aggregate win over modest Belize.

All but one of the 12 teams in the semifinal round have been decided. Mexico and Dominica don't play their second leg until Sunday but the Mexicans are already in cruise control after winning the opener 10-0.

As it looked when the framework of the CONCACAF qualifying draw was announced last December, Canada's group appears to be the toughest in the region.

"We got maybe two of the better teams in CONCACAF in one group," coach Frank Yallop said Monday.

Both Costa Rica and Honduras reached the final round of qualifying for the 2003 World Cup, with the Costa Ricans joining Mexico and the U.S. at the finals in Japan and South Korea.

"I don't mind it. It's not a bad thing," he added. "There's no easy game any more anyway . . . I just want to be able to compete and I look at the group we've got and I think that on any given day we can get a result in CONCACAF."

Canada will open against Guatemala on Aug. 18 at Burnaby, before playing Honduras in Edmonton on either Sept. 4 or 5.

Then it's off to Costa Rica on Sept. 8 and Honduras on either Oct. 9 or 10.

Canada's final home game will be against Costa Rica on Oct. 13 at a site yet to be determined. A cold weather venue could come into play if the Canadian Soccer Association wants to make the Costa Ricans uncomfortable.

The round concludes Nov. 17 with Canada in Guatemala.

Yallop, who calls Vancouver home, would prefer more eastern venues, to shorten the journey for his European-based players. But he is realistic.

"It is what it is, whether it's in Vancouver or it's in Toronto or it's in Kingston. We're still playing a World Cup qualifying game and we can't make any excuses for that. And I don't.

"We live in Canada so guess what? It's a huge country and it's a long long way from Europe."

Yallop knows all about that. While playing his club football in England, he made 52 appearances for Canada between 1990 and 1997.

Group A features No. 9 U.S., No. 51 Jamaica, No. 104 El Salvador and No. 120 Panama while Group C reads like a travel brochure with No. 4 Mexico (barring a massive upset), No. 77 Trinidad and Tobago, No. 120 St. Kitts and Nevis and No. 163 St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

For those keeping count, the average FIFA ranking in Canada's group is 65.8 compared to No. 71 for the American group and No. 91 for the Mexico foursome.

There were few surprises in getting to this stage, although St. Kitts beat a higher-ranked opponent in dispatching Barbados 5-2 on aggregate. St. Vincent and the Grenadines did the same against Nicaragua, winning 6-3.

All of the semifinal dates have been cleared for international matches by FIFA, meaning the top leagues in Europe will close down to permit players to join their national teams.

That does not necessarily translate to lower divisions, however, although FIFA regulations allow Yallop to call up players from those clubs anyway. It is a hammer he may be reluctant to use on players who won't start for Canada, however.

"It is an 18-man roster and most guys get to play," Yallop said. "And I'm really excited about the way our guys have committed themselves already to the cause."

Canada stumbled at the semifinal stage last time round, eliminated from advancing just four games into the round in an ugly 4-0 loss in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad.

The Canadians went 1-3-2 in all, scoring just one goal in the semifinal stage. Canada got past Cuba 1-0 on aggregate in a two-game playoff prior to that.

Holger Osieck's team paid for lack of scoring and inability to pick up points at home. Plus the Canadians had a horrid schedule.

After losing 2-0 to Trinidad and Tobago in Edmonton, the Canadians had three straight games on the road and went 0-2-1.

The die was cast by the time they had games at home against Panama (in Winnipeg) and Mexico (in Toronto).

In qualifying last time round, the team with the least amount of points that advanced was Costa Rica with 10 (with the Costa Ricans edging Guatemala on goal difference).

"If you get 10 points in six games, you've done well," Yallop said. "Yes it would be a yardstick for us but you never know in these groups. Nine might be enough. Maybe 11 could be the measuring stick."

He also thinks Canada's three rivals "are going to beat each other."

"Because Honduras and Costa Rica are pretty even, Guatemala a little bit down (from) there."

Canada's career record against its three semifinal rivals is 3-5-4 against Costa Rica, 6-2-1 against Guatemala and 5-2-5 against Honduras.

Former Olympic team coach Bruce Twamley scouted both Guatemala and Honduras on the weekend.

-

Canada's Schedule

Aug. 18: Guatemala vs. Canada, at Burnaby, B.C., Honduras at Costa Rica

Sept. 4-5: Honduras vs. Canada, at Edmonton; Costa Rica at Guatemala

Sept. 8: Canada at Costa Rica, Guatemala at Honduras

Oct. 9-10: Canada at Honduras, Guatemala at Costa Rica

Oct. 13: Costa Rica at Canada (site tba), Honduras at Guatemala

Nov. 17: Canada at Guatemala, Costa Rica at Honduras

Ho, boy. Footie in Winnipeg in mid October. Better bring your scarf.

No threat of your beer getting warm either.

Actualy it can be real comfortable if the wind dosen't get up. Of course it can also be Hell's Fury. Real crap shoot. We've had Halloweens were I've been out with the Little One in my t-shirt. Or like last year, buttoned up tight laughing at everyone else in their parkas and ski-do suits.

Had this discussion before, about climate and the advantage it brings. Keeping in mind that our lads are all European based so you wouldn't want it too cold. But they certainly would be able to take the late autumn chill better than our CA opponents so something above freezing would be preferable. Not too much above freezing mind you.

And yeah, play as close to Europe as possible. Halifax if I had my way. What's a flight from Halifax to London? What ever it is it dosen't get any better than that. The further the Ticos have to travel, and the less our lads have to, the better. And you know, Halifax may just be cold enough to meet our requirments.

WSC isn't getting used again this year. Pitch may just be up to snuff by the fall, though.

Conspiracy theroy #1. CSA waiting on reports from fact finding mission sent to WSC before considering other venues for Oct. 13 match. Would be nice to see what the new mayor'll think about it to.

Can always hope.

any chance of a half time show welcoming the Hondurans in Edmonton??

I wouldn't mind Montreal or even Quebec City for the third home game, is it not pretty nippy in those cities around that time. If not, i think your best bet for cold in October would probably be Winnipeg, heck, throw in Saskatoon too.

i might be able to pull off a voyage out to Edmonton, if, it is on a Sunday. i'll definitely look to interupt any idiotic Honduran half time shows, unlike the T&T show that turned my stomach literally upside down, did the Hartrells run that event???

quote:Originally posted by Franky

any chance of a half time show welcoming the Hondurans in Edmonton??

i'll definitely look to interupt any idiotic Honduran half time shows, unlike the T&T show that turned my stomach literally upside down, did the Hartrells run that event???

Yes, I was in the stands for that T&T match and could barely restrain myself. If the organizers pull a stunt like that again, they fully deserve any abuse (physical or other) they may take.

That said, I think Edmonton redeemed itself for the unprecedented show of patriotism for the Canadian women. I like to think that nothing that stupid could happen again, but it's something we must remain vigilant for. If there is a press conference in Edmonton, organizers should be reminded of the disservice they provided Canadian soccer for the T&T match, and should be made to state publicly that it will never happen again.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Ho, boy. Footie in Winnipeg in mid October. Better bring your scarf.

No threat of your beer getting warm either.

Actualy it can be real comfortable if the wind dosen't get up. Of course it can also be Hell's Fury. Real crap shoot. We've had Halloweens were I've been out with the Little One in my t-shirt. Or like last year, buttoned up tight laughing at everyone else in their parkas and ski-do suits.

Had this discussion before, about climate and the advantage it brings. Keeping in mind that our lads are all European based so you wouldn't want it too cold. But they certainly would be able to take the late autumn chill better than our CA opponents so something above freezing would be preferable. Not too much above freezing mind you.

And yeah, play as close to Europe as possible. Halifax if I had my way. What's a flight from Halifax to London? What ever it is it dosen't get any better than that. The further the Ticos have to travel, and the less our lads have to, the better. And you know, Halifax may just be cold enough to meet our requirments.

WSC isn't getting used again this year. Pitch may just be up to snuff by the fall, though.

Conspiracy theroy #1. CSA waiting on reports from fact finding mission sent to WSC before considering other venues for Oct. 13 match. Would be nice to see what the new mayor'll think about it to.

Can always hope.

tshirt for halloween in the peg? I dont remember doing that once when i lived there for 10 yrs.....seemed to snow each year on that 1 day :D. On that note, i think that'd be a god place to have the game....will the Soccer complex be done with the "renovations" by then?

quote:I wouldn't mind Montreal or even Quebec City for the third home game, is it not pretty nippy in those cities around that time

While it is very rare to see snow in Montreal in mid-October, it can get quite cold.

Anyone know if Claude Robillard is FIFA approved for World Cup Qualifying? At 105 yards long, it might be too short. I can't recall what FIFA standards are for WCQ.

Archived