READ ME!!! RE: Next round games out west.

Former Champ

Hi Everybody

I'm a new member with a mission and I wanna pitch in and help promote the club and the team. I met some of you guys before (thanks for the warning about the mormons) and after the second Kingston game on the practice field ("Get off the field!") and by the way, thanks for the beers. And for the first game I sat with the parents of the guy with the soccer ball hat, who told me all about the club. (i was the one with the sunburn) This club has the right attitude, but we need to let more people know about us. Aside from Tony Danza, who is the boss? Take me to your leader.

I'm a big Canada supporter and I've not missed seeing a qualifying game since they showed up on TV here for the run up to USA '94 (what a team that was!). I've seen 6 of the last 8 home qualifyers in person (Mexico(97) and T & T in Edm., Panama and Cuba in Winnipeg, and both Kingston games...can anyone top that?) and after this coming round I will make it at least 8 of 11. I am very familiar with Edmonton and Commonwealth including the spot Esk fans go to drink at smoke at halftime, and are left alone. I'd be happy to help anybody with advise if they are traveling here from afar or even a ride from Calgary..

I'm pretty excited about 2 games out west and I have a BUNCH OF IDEAS to help promote the fan club and the team, which will help give more crowd support which will help Canada qualify for Germany.

Get in touch with me and I'll have a detailed description of my plan (insert evil laugh).

We are a complete and total (dis)organization. No leaders, no rules. We try to stand together and create a positive atmosphere for national team games in Canada and abroad and then in the intervening three years between home games we bicker and argue like a tanked up white trash couple on here.

That's a pretty impressive run. I don't think organization for Commonwealth will be a problem. They've treated us prretty good there before and having the general admission side helps. Burnaby may require more oragnization, but by all means bring the ideas forward.

We've got two months to Vancouver. After the press conference if the site is 100 per cent confirmed I think we should start getting organized for August 18.

cheers,

matthew

If we can't get GA seating in Swangard then we will have to decide on a section that we would make ours.Gordon is making inquiries with the CSA for Edmonton but as Matthew mentioned it shouldn't be hard at Commonwelth.Hopefully we can get the same at Swangard.

Right now Swangard only holds 6100.They could probably add bleachers in the north and south ends which could bring the capacity up to near 8000.

I can help out as well to try and get a Voyageurs section but I want to see what the options are going to be available after the press conference.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay everybody, but I caught Sars and spant the last week trying not to die.

Here is part One

Game Date and Time

Saturday September 4th, 2004 2:00pm

Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, AB

Sponsored by...

I will use the name Voyageurs, include the website on any promotions and use my company (Empire Car Wash, Calgary Eaton Center) as a reference for people who wish to double check the source of this offer ((403)263-0777 mon-sat 7-3pm).

I am also interested in any sponsorships that will offset the costs of this endeavour. Savings will be passed on to the individual ticket holders and to upgrade Voyageur promo costs.

Ticket costs included

Reserved seats are $19 - $39 per person plus tax and ticket service charges.

General admission are $8 per person plus tax and ticket service charges.

I will purchase the specified tickets on a per order basis. I will pay with the deposit paid per person. The lower cost to travel on this offer than public transit, makes it nessecary for us to buy your tickets.

Transportation Costs

Transportation will be booked in mid August once the amount of people can be determined.

Early Estimates.

# of people type of transport company minimum costs minimum cost per

1 person Public Bus Greyhound $60 $60

groups of 7 mini-van (*without driver)(no ammenities) Discount Rental $50 per van $10

* I can arrange a maximum of 3 drivers (cost may vary without volunteers ), but insurance/liability gets dicey.

groups of 15 15 pax van(*without driver)(no ammenities) Budget Rent a Car $100 per w/min $100 fuel $15

* I can arrange a maximum of 3 drivers (cost may vary without volunteers ), but insurance/liability gets dicey.

40-48 chartered motor coach (w/ Driver, TV and Washroom) 2 or 3 Charter Coach Lines $850 (12 hour maximum) $25

* paid and insured professional driver with 12 hour limit.

50-56 chartered motor coach (w/ Driver, TV and Washroom) 2 or 3 Charter Coach Lines $1000 (12 hour maximum) $22

* paid and insured professional driver with 12 hour limit.

Maximim / Minimum Costs per person

Prices will vary depending on volume and ticket prices: highest, lowest and best packages

Highest possible cost per person: (travel only)

16-30 people, 2 15pax vans, 2 drivers = $400 van rental + $200 driver charge

Travel cost per person plus misc (Max $40)

Lowest possible cost per person: (travel only)

56 people, 1 56 pax bus w/driver TV and bathroom.= $1000 bus rental

Travel cost per person plus misc (Min $20)

Best possible cost per person: (estimate)

150ish people, 3 x 56 pax bus w/driver TV and bathroom. = $3000 bus rental

Travel cost per person plus misc (Min $25)

Approximate Travel Schedule

8:00 am Meet at Whitehorn C-Train Station

8:15 am Leave Calgary

- 10 minute Pit stop en route

12:00 - 12:30 Arrive/Lunch Stop (time conditional) - Edmonton

1:00 pm Arrive at Commonwealth Stadium

2:00 pm Game Time

4:00ish Game Over

4:30 pm Leave Commonwealth

- Dinner stop (optional)

8:15 pm Arrive Calgary/Whitehorn C-Train station

Reservations and Deposit

Minimum deposit is based on ticket preference:

Best ticket (39$ per person plus gst,travel and ticket service charge) = $50 deposit

Reserved ticket ($19 per person plus gst, travel and ticket service charges) = $35 deposit

General Admission ($8 per person plus gst, travel and ticket service charges) = $25 deposit

Balance of payment will be accepted at departure when final costs are known. (please allow 10% margin of error from above estimates.

I am interested in reservations and all feedback

Luv Dave

Part 2

Has anyone ever tried to make a newsletter? With input, I bet it would be a hoot to throw together a double sided 8'1/2" x 11" newsletter full of important stuff like letting us poor westerners know that we are expected to yell and carry on, and that our players like it! A newsletter full of pro-Canada tidbits like our awesome record vs Brazil (only one loss in 3 games) and the success of Canadians in European Soccer.

We got a couple of months, so send me your ideas

'Ooooh.. Frankie Yallop

You are my sunshine

You make me happy when skies are grey.

Too bad for Holger, he was a ****er.

Please don't take

Frank Yallop

away!'

muuka@sprint.ca

Wank and not damn? Mr. Editor sir, you have strange morals...

Part 3

I know I am the new guy, and you may have tried this stuff before, but here are some ideas I have for promotions during the upcoming qualifying games out west.

PROMO FOR GAMES

At each entrance there should be 3 or 4 VG handing out our newsletters and posters promoting the team, club and website.

- volunteers to design promo posters

Each group should be familiar with all the relevant information and news about the team.

Can we make closer ties to the actual club? (i.e. a team reception or greeting at every home match)

Mass transit purchases to make traveling cheaper

HAS THE CLUB EVER LOOKED FOR MONEY OR SPONSORSHIP?

A lot of promotion can be bought with a little bit of money. Photocopies are cheap!

We need to appeal to the main demo (men 25-49) while bringing in the U-19 fans and jump all over the upcoming Youth Championships.

WE NEED SONGS

Every English fan I know tells me that team Canada needs some songs. I take a lot of flack for Go Canada Go, Go leafs Go, Go flames Go......

-any suggestions? I like 'Blame Canada" or "Shut your f****** face, uncle f*****, or even Snowbird "Take these tiny wings and fly a-waaaaayyy!!!"

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

If we can't get GA seating in Swangard then we will have to decide on a section that we would make ours.Gordon is making inquiries with the CSA for Edmonton but as Matthew mentioned it shouldn't be hard at Commonwelth.Hopefully we can get the same at Swangard.

Right now Swangard only holds 6100.They could probably add bleachers in the north and south ends which could bring the capacity up to near 8000.

Ignoring the Whitecaps configuration, Swangard has a capacity of 7100, not 6100. For WCQ the VIP section in the north end will be non-existant allowing for ticket sales in the permanent north end bleachers. Remember those seats are already there, the Whitecaps just don't use them because their view is obstructed by the tents and table in the VIP section the Whitecaps set up. Thats an extra 900 permanent seats that the Whitecaps don't use. If they use the permanent bleachers on the east side of the stadium they'll be 400 more seats than if they use the temporary bleachers the Whitecaps have presently placed onto the track. Thats 7,100 permanent seats already there. If they add the same amount of seats to the south end of the field that they presently have in the north end thats 8,000 seats. Hopefully they'll ad a larger sized bleacher to the south end.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Every English fan I know tells me that team Canada needs some songs. I take a lot of flack for Go Canada Go, Go leafs Go, Go flames Go......

-any suggestions? I like 'Blame Canada" or "Shut your f****** face, uncle f*****, or even Snowbird "Take these tiny wings and fly a-waaaaayyy!!!"

If enough southsiders come out to the game at Swangard, no worries about the songs. We get a laugh out of those "lets go______ clap, clap clap, clap, chants, and you wouldn't get any of us with such lame ones.

Current Champ, I've sent you an e-mail telling you the about my modest efforts about getting a block of reserved seats in the East Stands of Commonwealth set aside for the Voyageurs. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

You seem like a go-to guy. That's good. Any help and ideas would be appreciated, and you may get ahead where others fail.

Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Ignoring the Whitecaps configuration, Swangard has a capacity of 7100, not 6100. For WCQ the VIP section in the north end will be non-existant allowing for ticket sales in the permanent north end bleachers. Remember those seats are already there, the Whitecaps just don't use them because their view is obstructed by the tents and table in the VIP section the Whitecaps set up. Thats an extra 900 permanent seats that the Whitecaps don't use. If they use the permanent bleachers on the east side of the stadium they'll be 400 more seats than if they use the temporary bleachers the Whitecaps have presently placed onto the track. Thats 7,100 permanent seats already there. If they add the same amount of seats to the south end of the field that they presently have in the north end thats 8,000 seats. Hopefully they'll ad a larger sized bleacher to the south end.

Yeah,that sounds right.

Those bleachers in the north side and the south side ones used in 97 WCQ are both quite far from the field.I'm going to find out if they intend on using the same configuration as 97.If so the east bleachers would be a better bet for our section.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

WE NEED SONGS

Always true, but we sang A LOT in Kingston. Really, we kept it going for most of the match(es) with no problem. As K-head says...as long as there are Southsiders there to lead the way (as the Ultras did in Kingston) I think we'll have some purty tunes.

But the singing will be limited to us lot, and therefore I concede the point to your English chums. There's no way will see 20,000 people in Commonwealth signing anything.

Conceeded...

You guys in Kingston were great. During the Second game you had almost the entire GA section going. This is of course what inspired me. Enthusiasm is infectious, and if I bring 100 people from Calgary, and fill them with enough beer, we will be really loud, and we'll have time on the buses to practise singing.

Us Westerner's like to be loud, too, we just simply seem to need permission, and a little encouragement. This is also where we could use a newsletter to encourage this kind of thing. The feeling is there, but just hidden under a layer of Prairie values.

I was told that when Canada scored against Brazil in the game before USA '94 that Commonweatlth came apart, and I can remember the U-19 semifinal (also against Brazil) when a riot almost started.

TAKE THESE TINY WINGS AND FLY A-WAAAAAY!

I agree :D

quote:..and the old reworked tune we used to sing to David Stadnyk, loosely sung to the tune of Rule Brittania:

Guatemala

Guatemala kiss my ass

We wish you'd

never set foot

On Swangards Grass

One of my all time faves !!

Wanna know the chant that made me double over laughing in Kingston? It was the 10 count when an opposing player was rolling on the ground, dying (although Belize were really good about that). Anyone who has watched Canada playing Central American teams has seen a lot of that, so I hope to hear the 10 count alot!!!

Anyway... I'll start promoting my bus charter plan after the Stampede and if I can even get 40 people, it will at least make chartering a bus affordable ($25-$30 a person)

I'm gonna do my best to co-ordinate ticket sales with the Voyageurs section, but still let people get the fancy seats or GA if they want.

When I got back to the Hostle in Kingston the first person I spoke to asked how the game went. I said:

'I'm a little excited, and I'm a little drunk,

I'm trying not to be, very very loud."

It's pretty catchy and quickly became my battle march for the rest of the night. (A good Canadian post goal chant, I'd say)

Word.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Sept 4 Version of "Rule Brittania":

Diss Hon-dur-ass!

Hon-dur-ass kiss my ass

You'll wish ya

never set foot on

Com-mon-wealth Grass

:D

Funny. This is something which odviously can be worked with.

Just had a mental image of some middle aged opra singer in her best Elizabethian costume piece carrying the note to this one in the Royal Albert Hall. Very strange. Funny. But strange.

Hooonduuuuraaaaas

kiss

my

aaaaaass

Archived