Costa Rica- Cuba / Guatemala- Surinam (R)

nolando

It's such a pity that CR couldn't have given up these two draws in the semifinal round. Espcially the draw at home. Man, that would have realled messed up CR's chances, and I would dearly love to see them (and their arrogant idiot coach) eliminated.

Hopefully those weren't the last "bad" games Costa Rica has left in them.

One plus, according to FIFA, CR picked up three yellows in today's match. Hopefully they will have some guys suspended sometime next round.

I like upsets, but personally I'm glad that we're going to face the tougher opponents. If we can't beat these guys then we don't deserve to be in the World Cup. I don't want to be like Australia, looking for the cheapest route.

That's a fair argument, but it would have been nice to have an incremental increase in strength of opposition as we move through the three stages. Moving from Belize to our Group of Death leaves no room for error, and absolutely requires we have our best guys in form, uncarded, and on the field for all six of those matches.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

If you look at our group from an optimistic point of view, we have decent records historically agianst the 3 teams in our group.

Vs. Costa Rica: 3W 5T 4L (The most recent game a 1-0 win for Canada in the 2003 Gold Cup)

Vs. Honduras: 5W 2T 5L

Vs. Guatemala: 6W 2T 1L

We'd never lost to T&T until that game in Edmonton. We've beaten each of those three teams the last time we played them. So a lot of the guys have experience beating these teams which is good. We have little experience going in there. I'd like to play ES in a friendly on the road to help us prepare, but I can't see it happening.

I'm feeling nervous today. I hope it passes, because I can't feel like this for two months.

cheers,

matthew

You'd be an idiot if you weren't nervous going into these games Matthew. We are the 3rd seed in the 4 team group based on games against them and based on CONCACAF play the last 8 to 10 years. Our coming in top two will be fairly considered an upset, a minor upset perhaps but an upset.

Archived