Euro 2004 - Czech-Holland (R)

beachesl

Czechs 3-Dutch[B)] 2!

WHOAAAAA! Big comebck for the Czechs!

The Dutch now have to depend on the Czechs to at least tie Germany, while they beat Latvia on Wednesday. With the quarter-finals coming up on either Saturday or Sunday, you gotta think the Czechs will be resting some key players. The Dutch fans[8] will continue in their eternity of anxiety. The Germans[}:)] still control their own destiny, will they never die?

Bad reffing..... Van Nistolrooy was CLREAYLY AND OBVIOUSLY MUGGED in the penatly area and should have gotten a PK...Other than that it was probably the best game of the tourny (that i've seen anyways)

Nedved almost scored the goal of the year but crashed one off the cross bar from i dont know how many yards out (40 maybe?)

Also i think that Heitinga's 2nd yellow was a terrible call.....he barely bumbed nedved as he was already almost totaly fallen. A foul at the most definitly not a yellow. Another bad call was in the 1st half when the dutch had an offside call against them and the player was clearly onside by about a foot....Refs and assistant refs in the european championships should never miss these calls and i can uarentee that these guys will not see any games for the rest of the tournament

Bad reffing..... Van Nistolrooy was CLREAYLY AND OBVIOUSLY MUGGED in the penatly area and should have gotten a PK...Other than that it was probably the best game of the tourny (that i've seen anyways)

Nedved almost scored the goal of the year but crashed one off the cross bar from i dont know how many yards out (40 maybe?)

Also i think that Heitinga's 2nd yellow was a terrible call.....he barely bumbed nedved as he was already almost totaly fallen. A foul at the most definitly not a yellow. Another bad call was in the 1st half when the dutch had an offside call against them and the player was clearly onside by about a foot....Refs and assistant refs in the european championships should never miss these calls and i can uarentee that these guys will not see any games for the rest of the tournament

Looking forward to watching if I can. After a poor game versus Latvia, the germans get a huge break from the result in the Hol-Cze game. The dutch are now finished IMO.

Cze 6pts

Ger 2pts

Hol 1pts

Lat 1pts

final games

Cze-Ger

Lat-Hol

With the czechs now advancing, what are the odds that they will put forward a good efort versus germany in the final game.

Looking forward to watching if I can. After a poor game versus Latvia, the germans get a huge break from the result in the Hol-Cze game. The dutch are now finished IMO.

Cze 6pts

Ger 2pts

Hol 1pts

Lat 1pts

final games

Cze-Ger

Lat-Hol

With the czechs now advancing, what are the odds that they will put forward a good efort versus germany in the final game.

Yes, there were lots of reffing problems, which was probably the only thing that knocked this down from being a perfect match for neutrals.

But you forgot the biggest one of all, the only one that led directly to a goal: Van Nistelrooij not being called offside on the second Dutch goal. I know there is lots of subjectivity around this rule, but considering he was in an offside position by a mile, did not make it back to an onside position before joining the play and ended up scoring the goal, I don't understand how this is not a case of a player gaining an advantage by being in an offside position.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Yes, there were lots of reffing problems, which was probably the only thing that knocked this down from being a perfect match for neutrals.

But you forgot the biggest one of all, the only one that led directly to a goal: Van Nistelrooij not being called offside on the second Dutch goal. I know there is lots of subjectivity around this rule, but considering he was in an offside position by a mile, did not make it back to an onside position before joining the play and ended up scoring the goal, I don't understand how this is not a case of a player gaining an advantage by being in an offside position.

You're absolutely correct on that one DJT, but 15 seconds earlier RVN was bowled over in the penalty area. At the time, I figured it was poetic justice. But the calls kept going the Czech's way after that.

quote:You're absolutely correct on that one DJT, but 15 seconds earlier RVN was bowled over in the penalty area. At the time, I figured it was poetic justice. But the calls kept going the Czech's way after that.
In my opinion the missed PK call is balanced out by the missed offside call, so the Dutch got their two goals either way.

As for the rest, well, I thought the Czechs got the short end of the stick when these two teams played at Euro 2000 (undeserved late PK awarded to the Dutch), so I'm not feeling particularly bad for them now.

Of course, two wrongs don't make a right. The officiating needs to be better than that.

I thought the reff'ing wasn't the greatest in the Lat-Ger game either. I made the bad decision to watch that one live ( a relatively boring game)instead of the Hol-Cze game. I'll give the ref credit for not getting caught up by some of the diving. But on the other hand he was whistling down everything, thus distrupting any flow to the game. For a while, I thought I was watching a Concacaf game.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

ruud wasn't recieving the pass when he was offside and was onside when he recirved the pass from whoever it was....so he was techinically onside

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

ruud wasn't recieving the pass when he was offside and was onside when he recirved the pass from whoever it was....so he was techinically onside

Yes, but I'm referring to the rule where you can be called offside if you are gaining an advantage by being in that position. In this case you don't actually have to receive the pass. That's where the subjectivity comes in: deciding whether or not a player is gaining an advantage by being in a certain position.

Outstanding match. Watched with friends of the family this evening and they were impressed and even interested. Bit unnerving realy.

Seedorf had the ugly on in that first half. Lovely to behold. Czechs were going down a little bit too much for me, but what a comeback.

And yeah, Ruud was offside, remained in the play and took full advantage of his previous offside positioning to net one. Stupid rule. Too complicated for a high paced sport and so subject to hind sight screams of bloody murder. It's gotta go. Hope Holger and his technical commity comrades agree.

Latvia-Germany didn't much enjoy. Good for Latvia. Germany could have taken it given a little better luck but they didn't. One point a piece.

Holland's not done yet. From what I've seen today I think they're going to shred Latvia and Germany may not be able to pip a coasting Czeck team. This is going to be fun.

aBSOLUTELY cheetah theres no proper way to interpret this rule live on the fly for the linesman never mind th epoor defence.Totally ridiculous concept "passive offside".

Just screws the game stop screwing with the game let the players determine the outcome instead of these over technical tedious rule adjustments that turn the game into a farce!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Totally agree it was the best game so far in the tournament, very well played and entertaining. Also agree that Mejuto was soft especially on that possible penalty 1st half, and on a few other calls that could have gone Ruud's way. It was like it was Shaq looking for a call that never came. And agree too that the 2nd yellow was a bit harsh. But that has nothing to do with Spanish reffing. In fact if you watch Spain as I do usually they are overly strict, never let anyone get any contact, are excessively legalistic.

It would be hard to argue in any case that the reffing was decisive, as you could understand that especially on the penalty not called Ruud was pushing at his defender. What really lost it for Holland is that they are so psychologically soft, never pressuring the ref, which they could have done as they have Spanish speaking players who know him. And maybe not putting on Roy with 20 minutes to go for fresh legs and a chance at a counter.

Archived