Aviators to play in Clarke Park...

strobe_z

..for their next home game. Looks like some people will get their wish. If nothing else it'll make for more fodder for the "Commonwealth vs. Anywhere else" venue argument.

---

Edmonton Aviators notified of City's intention to relocate game four

Edmonton, June 18, 2004 - The Edmonton Aviators have received notice from Commonwealth Stadium management that the next Aviators home game (Monday,June 21st) will be moved from Commonwealth Stadium to Clarke Park.

City officials have advised that the field is in a very vulnerable condition citing weather and poor spring conditions. Officials further advised that they expect the field at Commonwealth Stadium to take a beating from the Churchill Cup Rugby tournament scheduled to take place this Saturday, June 19th. As such, the Edmonton Aviators have been told that they are unable to use Commonwealth Stadium for their next home game.

"Obviously, the Edmonton Aviators are disappointed by the decision to not allow us use of Commonwealth Stadium for our game on June 21st. The stadium is clearly a world class facility and provides for a game day entertainment experience. Commonwealth Stadium remains our first choice of venues", said Greg McDannold, Director of Business Operations for the Edmonton Aviators Soccer Club. "Having said that, we certainly respect that Commonwealth officials have a responsibility to protect the condition of the field and that it is in the best interest of all facility users."

The Edmonton Aviators have a three year agreement with the City for use of Commonwealth Stadium. The agreement allows the City the right to relocate the Aviators to Clarke Park should field conditions warrant the need to do so.

"Commonwealth Stadium is a great facility and we look forward to returning to it for our next home game", said McDannold.

The Aviators will begin planning today for the move to Clarke Field for game four. The move will involve significant human and financial resources.

"We realize that Clarke Park is not an ideal venue for our games. There is no doubt that Clarke Park will not provide for the type of game day presentation that our customers have already become accustomed to", said McDannold. "We are confident, however, that our season ticket holders and other customers understand that this situation is unavoidable and that it requires co-operation from all parties affected."

Additional information on the relocation of game four will be shared with the public as it becomes available.

So what happens if more season ticket holders and Minor Soccer pass holders show up than the maximum? There is a mini grandstand on one side, and the rest of the track is surronded by chain link fence. No reason to buy a game ticket (if that is an option), just bring a deck chair and watch the action outside the fence, closer to the action than in the stands of Commonwealth. I expect that they will cordon off the area around the chin link fence (and charge admission to this?)

Wonder if this was in the business plan?[:I]

PS: The article doesn't say this, but the visiting teams on Monday, June 21 are the A-League Whitecaps at 6:00 pm ( a non-Voyageur Cup match) and the W-League Denver Lady Riders at 8:30 pm.

Outside looking in:

How can a stadium authority break its contract to host a game? If it is as simple as saying..."we can't host you, so make other arrangments..." then the Av's have a TERRIBLE contract. Is ANYONE in Edmonton on the business side of things willing to do what it takes to succeed in the A-League?????

it would appear that the city has the right to move games. talk about signing a bad contact. No wonder the team is mess.

and to note:

feildturf....and they'd be still playing at commonwealth. Now does everyone understand why the new Varisty in TO cannot be grass.

My God, the irony is thick...

It will be very interesting to see how they proceed with temporary seating...further, the idea of a beer gardens / barbeque pit would bring the spirit of good old Canadian tailgate parties.

If it is well received, and deemed a success, I can only imagine the calls from the peanut gallery.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Just watching some of thatrugby game from Commonwealth and there appears to be nothing wrong with the grass. The city of Edmonton are just being bitches.

Your watching on TV peanut.

You weren't in the stadium getting sunburned.

Didn't Titus say that they should be playing at that stadium before he left? Kinda makes you wonder if Titus was just talking out of his behind or he actually knew what he was saying.

Coincidence or not it looks real bad on Edmonton. For them to implement something after it had been broadcasted by a former player to them (and us via media) a week or two ago, shows some lack of thought by the people who negotiated to have the games played at Commonwealth.

Just my 2 cents.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Your watching on TV peanut.

You weren't in the stadium getting sunburned.

So tell me, penis, was the grass any worse in person?

I suppose most people that watched, watched on TV. Stadium was nearly empty.

For someone with such as a small one, you can be a really big dick sometimes.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

let's keep this on-topic shall we?

I'm a mod.. it's my job~

Not a problem.[^]

I was there for the 10am Women's consolation game. The low number I would give for attendance would be 3,500 with the high at 5,000. Slightly a few more showed up for the women's final.

There was at least 10,000 for the Canada-USA mens game with 14,000 for the England-NZ Maori. The TV cameras and Jumbotron really tend to distort the actual picture.

What was nice was after the Maori won the tile and had done their victory celebration, a leage chunk of fans that had moved over to the west side of the stadium began chanting "HAKA! HAKA! HAKA!" as we wanted to see it. The Maori were more than happy to do so.:)

Dropped by Clarke Stadium on my bike this afternoon for a wee boo.

There was no extra seating there yet, just the ad hoarding lying on the grass. Just as I was leaving, some guys in a pick-up truck came by to drop off the bags of powder for the lines. I asked them about the extra seating, and they told me that extra seating for 1,600 was being dropped by and installed tomorrow, from Northlands where they apparently use it for outdoor events and the horse track.

Therefore, the total theoretical seating will be 2,900, which should be easily eonough for spectators on Monday. The extra attendance on Tuesday was due to the combination of it being Minor Soccer night, the $10 tickets and all the girls that came by to see Kara Lang, Erin Mcleod, Brittany Timko and Sasha Andrews. The Denver Lady Riders and the male Whitecaps won't be much of a draw.

The seating in the grandstand (1,300 seems a bit optimistic, you'd really have to pack them in like sardines) and the temporary seating will be flat bench types, so you may want to bring pillows.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Watching the rugby match replay and while the grass looks fine from the overhead cameras, when they switch to the field cameras it doesn't look so good. Doesn't look to me like there is anything near 10 000 fans at the game though.

That's another camera trick. There were 10,000 by the time the men came onto the field.

quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

Why dont they just make the capacity around 5000, and make it the Aviators new home. Whats the point of getting around 3000ppl. in a stadium that has a capacity of 60217 all youre doing is making the team look bad.

Thats what I think.

You can't put 5,000 in without a complete overhaul of the place.

Archived