WC2006 Q's: Semi-final round question

Mumbo Jumbo

12 rows behind the head cucumber? I thought you were a bit closer than that but slightly on our left back... ...you wore a red Addicks strip sponsored by All-Sports, right?

Ummm... ...I thought you sat behind us and might pick up some sound-bites from the other spectators since people around you were all "normal" fans... ...(smile)

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

This has come up before (I think) and is a great plan. We should really get on this one as I'm sure there would be many people willing to travel for the Labour Day Weekend game. I wouldn't want to fly in from Toronto and *not* sit with the Voyageurs. I wouldn't even care if the tickets cost a little more for the trouble. We really should make it clear that we're not looking for a "deal".

Unless we are.:)

In Edmonton, the East stands are usually general admission and the West stands (near the benches) are selected seating. We could all sit together in the General admission, and maybe have ealry arrivals save a several rows of seats, rope them off with plastic like some of the minor league soccer mom's do for their teams.

I like the idea about writing the CSA soon and asking them to reserve a West Stand sections F G or H near the front for us though (so we are in garlic distance of the player's benches). Anybody up for drafting such a letter?

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

In Edmonton, the East stands are usually general admission and the West stands (near the benches) are selected seating. We could all sit together in the General admission, and maybe have ealry arrivals save a several rows of seats, rope them off with plastic like some of the minor league soccer mom's do for their teams.

I like the idea about writing the CSA soon and asking them to reserve a West Stand sections F G or H near the front for us though (so we are in garlic distance of the player's benches). Anybody up for drafting such a letter?

I believe Gordon was.

Hey V's

Finally back on the board after a long absence. Thanks to all for keeping me upto date on the last couple of games. I'm currently in Guatemala, and I'll be scoping out this weekend's game v. Surinam.

Can anyone comment on the quality of pitch at Claude Robaillard stadium? I thought it was field turf. We really need one game in the east, and the first one v. Guate makes the most sense.

For Edmonton I think going the GA route makes a lot of sense. Plus the cameras face the GA side and my mom likes to see me on TV and know that I'm alive and drunk. That being said I think we should advertise our presence (small scale, a few posters near Commonwealth and maybe a blurb on the CSA site if we ask Morgan pretty please) to let people know: if you want to stand and sing, come to Section 12 (or whatever). Then we can try to attract new people and also let people know where we are going to be. We just have to be there early enough to stake a claim to seats.

I assume Vancouver won't work the same way, so I'm all for the letter. It's a good idea for all games, but since Edmonton's one side has always been GA, no real need.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

For Edmonton I think going the GA route makes a lot of sense. Plus the cameras face the GA side and my mom likes to see me on TV and know that I'm alive and drunk. That being said I think we should advertise our presence (small scale, a few posters near Commonwealth and maybe a blurb on the CSA site if we ask Morgan pretty please) to let people know: if you want to stand and sing, come to Section 12 (or whatever). Then we can try to attract new people and also let people know where we are going to be. We just have to be there early enough to stake a claim to seats.

I assume Vancouver won't work the same way, so I'm all for the letter. It's a good idea for all games, but since Edmonton's one side has always been GA, no real need.

cheers,

matthew

Your thought about GA in Edmonton may be the most practical solution, Matthew. Given my dealings with the CSA, it is unlikely that they would respond in any meaningful way, if at all (unles we got Yallop to personally intervene of course[:P]).

If somebody promises to buy me a beer, I'll show up several hours early to line up (they usually don't admit before a 1/2 hour before kickoff at Commonwealth) and show up with yellow police scene tape and rope off a sufficient area in Section S, T or U in the East stand. That's how the soccer moms do it, and gawdhelp anyone that gets in their way!

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Your thought about GA in Edmonton may be the most practical solution, Matthew. Given my dealings with the CSA, it is unlikely that they would respond in any meaningful way, if at all (unles we got Yallop to personally intervene of course[:P]).

If somebody promises to buy me a beer, I'll show up several hours early to line up (they usually don't admit before a 1/2 hour before kickoff at Commonwealth) and show up with yellow police scene tape and rope off a sufficient area in Section S, T or U in the East stand. That's how the soccer moms do it, and gawdhelp anyone that gets in their way!

If soccer moms try to intervene, toss them a few sliced oranges. That goes over well at Céline Dion concerts.

quote:Originally posted by ballboy

I will be MORE THAN GLAD to go and "deal with the soccer moms" if there's any problem... ...as long as the husbands are not there (wink wink... ...grin)

I'll gladly take one for the team... ...(smile)

Geezus...

And I thought Bear was desperate after he joined that yoga class to meet chicks.

(or would that be "meat"? Sorry. Sorry. Me bad)

I've sent an e-mail to CSA. The issues re: Miking and Camera's are something that I will pursue with the CSA (or Sportsnet) should they seem receptive to the idea. I do think there is a value to establishing the practice of reserved sections for every game, as opposed to more ad hoc arrangements depending upon venue. I had difficulty finding the Voyageurs at the U-19 in Commonwealth, simply because every plan had to be modified at the stadium due to GA being unpredicable.

Any way, we will see where this goes, which just might be nowhere. If I get a nibble, then we can start working on location issues and the like.

Archived