Carl Fletcher on TSN

nolando

Dick seems to treat Carl like a child with a learning disability. Dropping lines like "That's right, Carl, Raul IS a very good player", or "Like Carl said earlier, Zinedine Zidane can strike at any moment" (said while holding Carl's hand)

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think a big difference between Craig and Carl is that Craig was one of the best Canadian players of all time who played high level club soccer for many years. Carl was a fringe national team player who never reached a high level of club play. At the moment I am not sensing the level of insight and knowledge from Carl that Craig has regardless of the delivery (and he is commentating on top level soccer not A-league). Maybe he will get better but if I was TSN and was looking for a commentator, he wouldn't have been someone that immediately came to mind even if I narrowed the candidates to former Canadian national team members.

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

Dick seems to treat Carl like a child with a learning disability. Dropping lines like "That's right, Carl, Raul IS a very good player", or "Like Carl said earlier, Zinedine Zidane can strike at any moment" (said while holding Carl's hand)

Oh man, that is funny!! The thing I've learned from being involved in sport is that sometimes those who succeed and play at a high level don't necessarily understand, or care about, the intricacies of the game. Let alone communicate them well. It amazes the number of pro athletes who aren't really fans of their sport, let alone a student of it.

Heh... I think Carl did a bang up job today. He's looking a LOT more comfortable. I don't think it matters that much what level Carl's played at. There's tons of great commentators and coaches who understand the game very well but just didn't have the physical gifts to be a great player. On the flip side, there's tons of great players who make crappy commentators.

I love Wayne Gretzky, but having him as a commentator would most likely be a painful experience.

Slightly off-topic.. whatever happened to Graham Leggat? Vic Rauter mentioned Graham today.. something to the effect of "When Graham used to sit there back when we telecast CSL(?) games..."

Thanks for that Georgio. I'm having a hard time visualizing a Scotsman with a drinking problem myself, but you might have something there. I reckon it was Mai Tais then that led to his downfall, or creme de menthe??

I guess that creepy Dicky as a former GK need to use his hands. At least he doesn't have the shakes yet. Carl will get better in time. I seem to recall when Craig started he was tentative too. But the man for job would be Paul Stalteri when he retires if ever.

Archived