Toronto vs Puerto Rico - Matchday 2 (R)

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

The may have something there. 11Am starts, now if they could only play on feildturf and add some cheerleaders, half the board here would have ****fit.

come on Calgary what are you waiting for.

What's the point if they are giveaways?

The strategy still makes no sense since time and time again, as we have seen, there has been little to no pay-off from these mid-afternoon youth days. The only effect these games leave is a handful of alienated and frustrated diehards.

Is it worth it?

As Gianluca pointed out, the question the Lynx must ask themselves is: are they in this for survival, or are they in it to build something special? The optimistic description given of the organization on the Lynx website suggests the latter; their actions, however, suggest the former.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It depends on whether you wish to thrive or survive. The school days may help with the latter, but marketing to a bunch of disinterested kids ( and having been to one of these matches, that is not an inaccurate statement) instead of marketing to soccer fans will get the Lynx nowhere with the crowds for the rest of the season, something we've seen year after year after year. Generally speaking as far as the kids are concerned, they get in for for free, spend the entire match in the stands annoying the boy/girl they have a crush on and only pay attention if somebody happens to celebrate a goal. They go home, forget all about the Lynx and never hear about them again and don't come back to any more matches. That's no way to run a professional sports team, though it's not a bad way to run a day-care centre.

I've seen quite the opposite.

It depends on whether you wish to thrive or survive. The school days may help with the latter, but marketing to a bunch of disinterested kids ( and having been to one of these matches, that is not an inaccurate statement) instead of marketing to soccer fans will get the Lynx nowhere with the crowds for the rest of the season, something we've seen year after year after year. Generally speaking as far as the kids are concerned, they get in for for free, spend the entire match in the stands annoying the boy/girl they have a crush on and only pay attention if somebody happens to celebrate a goal. They go home, forget all about the Lynx and never hear about them again and don't come back to any more matches. That's no way to run a professional sports team, though it's not a bad way to run a day-care centre.

I've seen quite the opposite.

disinterested kids ( and having been to one of these matches, that is not an inaccurate statement) [...] Generally speaking as far as the kids are concerned, they get in for for free, spend the entire match in the stands annoying the boy/girl they have a crush on and only pay attention if somebody happens to celebrate a goal.

It was plainly evident even on the Rogers broadcast that what Gian-luca describes is accurate. For the entire game the kids looked like a bunch of ants scurrying about on the track and hill on the far side of the field as they were in constant motion (I guess when you're 10 years old it doesn't matter that it's 40°C, you can still run all day!). It looked like a playground. Not only were most of them not watching the game, I think many were also in jeopardy of getting seriously hurt as they were pretty close to the field and they wouldn't be able to react to an errant ball or player headed their way. Even commentator Dan Dunleavy, who is always positive about everything off the field (which I would guess is a Lynx-imposed requirement), pointed out that most of the kids were not paying attention.

AND so what that they weren't paying attention. Since when is attending a soccer game a classroom.

And the die hards you talk about offending number how many in Toronto?

And if you're offended don't go back. The CPSL offer tons of teams with empty stands and 12 die hard fans at every game.

4950. The media will only see that. Not the usual 1200.

And I understand that tickets in previous years were sold at 5 bucks a pop. So that's a gate of 25,000 dollars. Add pizza sales and cokes...another 20,000.

That a bigger cash deal than a Wednesday night game VS PR would have done.

Man the lynx fans are whiners; no wonder the on field product stinks.

Add pizza sales and cokes...another 20,000.

You are assuming they make on average $4 profit from each kid at the game? Even if every single kid bought a coke and two slices of pizza they still wouldn't make half that much. Considering the amount of people staffing those games, sales like that to 5000 people would be far too overwhelming.. they struggle with the regular 2000.

That is even assuming every kid buys food, which is very, very unlikely. From my experience from elementary school trips (about a decade ago) kids are generally encouraged to pack a lunch so in reality, while the numbers may be high in the stands I very much doubt that concession sales were high. In fact, without beer sales they very well could have been lower.

In addition, your typical 2000 (and that is a typical crowd number, not your 1200) person Lynx crowd, using numbers based on around half the crowd being considered "youth" (u18), you get gate money around $22,500. Lets say ten percent of the crowd is there on free tickets... the Lynx still bring in $20,000. While it is less than what they made on school day, the difference isn't very large, and that assumes no freebies for any of the schools.

Thats not to say school days don't make financial sense, they do. It helps mainly as it boosts attendance averages so they can get better deals from their sponsors. But as for game day revenues, the difference is not nearly as dramatic as you seem to think.

quote:And I understand that tickets in previous years were sold at 5 bucks a pop. So that's a gate of 25,000 dollars. Add pizza sales and cokes...another 20,000.

If you think Pizza Sales, Hot Dog and Coke sales made $20,000 you've never orginized an event for 5,000 people.

$8,000-$10,000 at the most.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

If you think Pizza Sales, Hot Dog and Coke sales made $20,000 you've never orginized an event for 5,000 people.

$8,000-$10,000 at the most.

Dont forget the sausages.. I hear they're so good that on occassion, people will get two.

AND so what that they weren't paying attention. Since when is attending a soccer game a classroom.

Apparently since the Lynx started scheduling games with nothing but students in the stands.

As for the whining comment, ignoring the irony of somebody whining about somebody whining, the Lynx have scheduled 4 games this season (out of 14) which many of their real fans (the ones that do pay attention) can not attend. What were you expecting as a response, that the fans were going to launch a "Nicole Hartrell for Prime Minister" campaign?

Does G-Man work for the Lynx or is he obsessed with whining about what he perceives as other peoples whining?

-"You guys whine to much about Field Turf."

-"You guys whine because you are white males."

-"You guys whine too muchabout schoolday games."

Perhaps we should shut down all discussions because G-Man perceives it to be whining. Perhaps he should set us up with a set of rules listing what we are allowed to talk about here.

What I find funny is that no one here owns a team or has lost a dime on any soccer team. And if it wasn't for the Lynx ownership a city of 4 million would have no professional team to speak of and yet you whine about them owning the team and how they run it.

I'm surpised that no here whined about the players talking to kids at schools. I mean really it's not like those kids CARE about the pro game in Canada! and those players return tired for their training sessions, thus preventing the Lynx from being in the top 4 clubs in the world. And I want to go the games you guys are going to. 2 pizza slizes and a coke for 4 bucks! What a deal! And ask any kid, if his mom or dad gave them 5 bucks in spending money would they spend it all? and the answer would be yes

What the quickest way to end up with a million dollars running a pro soccer team in north america?

Start with 10 million.

What I find funny is that no one here owns a team or has lost a dime on any soccer team. And if it wasn't for the Lynx ownership a city of 4 million would have no professional team to speak of and yet you whine about them owning the team and how they run it.

You're only half right. Nicole has sacrificed a lot to keep the team alive. For that she deserves a lot of credit. But what she doesn't deserve is a free pass on everything she does; which is what you are seemingly fighting for. She runs a company that provides a services to it's customers. As paying customers we have a right to be critical.

The Ultras have dug deep into their pockets to invest in this organization. We've put in an incredible amount of effort to promote, support, and see this team through. Ask Frank about how far he's gone to secure sponsorship for the club. We've been on the pitch helping out pregame; we've been on the streets trying to spread the word; and we've clocked many miles supporting a team that is pandered out to those who don't care rather than loyal fans like us. Our track record speaks for itself; we've put in the effort, and put our money where out mouths are.

I'm not going to go into any detail, hence why I deleted my first post. But I will say that the *in my opinion* the youth days don't attract press and only add to deminish the reputation of the club in the press' eyes; and I'm speaking from a position of experience, not just a fan. That's as far as I'm going to go.

Archived