Six Benfica players on Portuguese team

Massive Attack

I thought I'd post this, seeing as Fernando Aguiar isn't good enough for Canada's national team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

LISBON (AP) - Benfica has six players in the Portuguese squad, the most for years, and the Lisbon club's winger Simao Sabrosa reckons that's proof his club is back on track after eight years without a trophy.

"The truth is that Benfica has been working well, especially last season, and you can see that by the six players who have been called up," Sabrosa said in an interview published Monday in sports paper A Bola.

European champion FC Porto also has six players on the roster.

Benfica beat Porto last month to win the Portuguese Cup, handing the Lisbon club its first trophy since 1994.

But Sabrosa says there's no evidence of rivalry from club level at the Portugal's Euro 2004 training camp.

"We get on well, we fool around, we're feeling very confident, but when there's work to be done no one shirks," Sabrosa said.

The former FC Barcelona player, once touted as the new Luis Figo, missed the 2002 World Cup because of an injury.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2004/06/07/489611-ap.html

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I thought I'd post this, seeing as Fernando Aguiar isn't good enough for Canada's national team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surprising... more than I would have guessed. Altho when I look at those 6 players, I would only expect one of them to play regularily (Petit). Simao might start the first game, but expect Ronaldo to take over soon after.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Was anyone arguing that Roy Keane wasn't good enough to play for Ireland in the World Cup?

Archived