June 6: Toronto vs Puerto Rico. (R)

There are so many good points in this thread, I don't know where to start.

Oh wait, yes I do...

No one cares about the Lynx, but they do it to themselves anyway. Writing to the newspapers will accomplish nothing but create several questions as to who the Lynx actually are. Aren't they some baseball team in Ottawa? Maybe it's worth it anyway.

The whole flag/anthem thing was a little weird, but since I'm hardly a nationalist, I can't really comment. Oh, I'll be in Kingston alright...but the status of our national anthem at an EH-League match won't lose me any sleep.

Given the choice between Ronald Reagan and war vets, I'll pick heores any day. Reagan may have been a laugh ("Nancy honey, I forgot to duck."), but people who stormed an exposed beach to get ripped to pieces by machine gun fire deserve free cupcakes 365, IMHO.

Goddard played great.

5-1, eh? I'm still not convinced about the Toronto defence. I mean really, PR sucked. Hard. And they still had a fair amount of penetration. Goddard made several key saves. For once our offence kicked in because their defence was actually somehwere in Upper Volta on holiday, but I'm glad it wasn't Montreal at Centennial yesterday. It could have been ugly. Instead it was uglier for PR.

And re: all that theme day crap. Am I getting better at ignoring it, or is it just less noxious? The Ecuadorian dancers were hilarious, and they love scarfing pizza more than I do. Weird. Beyond that, I wasn't paying any attention.

Robin, nobody is saying that life should come to a stand still for the anniversary of D-Day, but to fail to recognize it at a public event is a pretty big oversight. Especially when the Lynx make such a big deal about Event Days and trying to be a team that represents 'the community.'

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Now shouldn't play soccer on D-Day anniversary. Check

Shouldn't play soccer on Wednesday during the afternoon because people are working. Check.

Shouldn't play soccer next Sunday because it's a Canada National team qualifying game and the Lynx should have known months ago that the game would be in Kingston. Check.

Howbout we just name the team Canada Pro 40 and the team can play 28 road games for the season? :)

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the national anthems. Maybe they should have left Ricky Franco standing around while they played the canned version of the Puerto Rican national anthem and then had him come back and sing the Canadian anthem.

The Canadian flag always flies at the Northern end on the highest flagpole. Sometimes they have an extra Canadian flag on one of the eastern side poles.

Now shouldn't play soccer on D-Day anniversary. Check

Shouldn't play soccer on Wednesday during the afternoon because people are working. Check.

Shouldn't play soccer next Sunday because it's a Canada National team qualifying game and the Lynx should have known months ago that the game would be in Kingston. Check.

Howbout we just name the team Canada Pro 40 and the team can play 28 road games for the season? :)

Back to soccer. Richard Goddard saved the game in the early going and prevented any chance of a comeback with about four huge sliding saves. He can boot the ball the length of the field and throw to the halfway line. He comes out to challenge and cut down the angles but got caught on the Islanders goal.

Re: the anthems.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Are you suggesting that it was a mistake and that the anthems were not meant to be played in that order?

Re: The flags.

You'll have to excuse me, I consistently forget to bring my compass to Lynx games. In laymans terms, I've always seen the Canadian flag flying parralel to the centre-circle on the pitch, along with the American flag. Forgetting protocol, this position, to me, has symbolic value. It's easily the most front and centre position for flags, and most importantly, it's where the players look during the anthems. The insignificance of the flag behind the net is seen by the fact that none of us (the Ultras) even spotted the flag until some 15 minutes into the match.

G-man,

I accept your criticism, however I think you miss the point. Irregardless of it being D-Day, it's still a mark of disprespect. The fact that it was the 60th anniversary of D-Day only made what happened worse. Whether or not you can argue about my level of observation to the date is irrevelant; the Lynx duty to show some type of respect is not to me or the fans, it's to the significance of the date. A quick glance at the schedule shows that the Lynx anticipated the coming of the Olympics when it comes to organizing their theme days, but they couldn't recognize the anniversary of D-Day - a sign that if they can't profit from it, the Lynx don't care about it.

As for your sugggestion that this issue is somehow racial, I'll just ignore that.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

As a stupid white male .............

Fixed your post. WTF does being White & Male have to do with anything in this thread???

Jay Way if you insist:

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Are you suggesting that it was a mistake and that the anthems were not meant to be played in that order?

RR--I'd say the anthems were out of order. How many times over the years (about twice a year) have you heard "due to technical difficulties, the anthems are unavailable"? I think someone just thought to tack on the Puerto Rican anthem after the other ones when they found out Ricky Franco wasn't/couldn't sing it live. Everytime they cut back and forth to the sound system (imagine Dr Frankenstein's lab) they risk not being able to cut back out to the sound.

You'll have to excuse me, I consistently forget to bring my compass to Lynx games. In laymans terms, I've always seen the Canadian flag flying parralel to the centre-circle on the pitch, along with the American flag. Forgetting protocol, this position, to me, has symbolic value. It's easily the most front and centre position for flags, and most importantly, it's where the players look during the anthems. The insignificance of the flag behind the net is seen by the fact that none of us (the Ultras) even spotted the flag until some 15 minutes into the match.

RR--I've seen enough games where there's been no flags on the east side and the only flag has been in the North. Like every CPSL game I've seen where the players look to to the north. Ultras view of the north flag would be blocked by the press box from your far corner.

The PR flag was just carried out of the press box and put up the flag pole within half hour of the game starting.

The obvious choice would have been to skip the American anthem and take down the American flag but there might be an A-League bylaw against that. I'm not going to look it up.

Jay Way if you insist:

RR--I'd say the anthems were out of order. How many times over the years (about twice a year) have you heard "due to technical difficulties, the anthems are unavailable"? I think someone just thought to tack on the Puerto Rican anthem after the other ones when they found out Ricky Franco wasn't/couldn't sing it live. Everytime they cut back and forth to the sound system (imagine Dr Frankenstein's lab) they risk not being able to cut back out to the sound.

RR--I've seen enough games where there's been no flags on the east side and the only flag has been in the North. Like every CPSL game I've seen where the players look to to the north. Ultras view of the north flag would be blocked by the press box from your far corner.

The PR flag was just carried out of the press box and put up the flag pole within half hour of the game starting.

The obvious choice would have been to skip the American anthem and take down the American flag but there might be an A-League bylaw against that. I'm not going to look it up.

That's CPSL games though. At the Lynx games the Canadian flag is always on the East end - Sunday was the exception.

Remark made on how the Canadian flag should be flown.

http://flagspot.net/flags/ca_prtcl.html#Etiquette

quote:When two or more than three flags are flown together, the Canadian flag should be on the left, as seen by spectators. Whenever three flags are flown, the Canadian flag should be in the middle.

This normally applies to domestic flags. It maybe applicable in international situations.

As for the anthems, the American Anthem should've been first followed by the Puerto Rican anthem. "O Canada" should be done last.

Ah good point. It can't be an A-League bylaw that the US anthem be played because they don't play it when it's just Toronto vs Montreal.

They could have let Ricky Franco sing the Puerto Rican son's song (ie Ricky Martin) "She Bangs". At least he'd sound better than William Hung. I heard more journalist passes were granted during the Blue Jays baseball game he visited to sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" than any game since the season opener.

*William Hung is the off-key singer eliminated on American Idol and replayed on their 'Worst' segment special.

Archived