Canada-Costa Rica,U-19 Semi,June 4 (R)

beachesl

Results: Canada 4 - 0 CR

USA 6 - 0 Mexico

Important game in Montreal televised by Sportsnet. Winner goes to World U-19's in Thailand in November, loser gets nothing, as no place for 3rd place.

Costa Rica tied defending World Champions USA on Tuesday, 0-0, so they could be tough. USA plays Mexico just before to determine the other spot in the Worlds.

Here's an interesting piece of trivia: Costa Rica was the first country to form an National Women's Football Team, in 1949. There is a book on it in Spanish in the University of Alberta library.

3-0 in the 38th minute. Zurer just scored off a corner. Maranda scored during the run of play for the first goal. The second was also off a corner but I forget who scored it. Canada is completely dominating Costa Rico and the ball hardly ever crosses into Canada's half. Costa Rico seems to be far weaker than Mexico. I don't know how they tied the US as the US beat Mexico 6-0 today to go to the final as well.

Timko got the 2nd for Canada.

This team seems to have more individual skill overall than the last U19 team. Maranda & Cichini are making a great tandem in midfield & both can actually distribute the ball (though I've only seen them play against Mexico & Costa Rica, it will be interesting to see how they play against a good team).

Great performance, absolute domination.

I guess I'm gonna watch the second half too, I switched over to the Portland-Charleston game, but the play-by-play guy is the one that does the "Its in the net, its in the net, oh its in the net" spiel. It might be tolerable to most, but I still have nightmares of the NPSL games he did, hearing that 20 times in two hours is just too much.

Have to agree with GL's comment about the improvement in individual skill. The senior WNT and the last U-19's have been fairly succesful over the past 5 years due mainly to overall athleticism, and I'm glad to see our female players are developing more football skills, which will be increasingly more important as the other nations start to develop more. And, that Bridge is letting them use their skills in a more sophisticated way.

I agree about this U19 team being more skilled than our last squad. Its great to see them able to show more than how far they can kick and how well they chase the ball. Maybe the CSA has learned something about soccer.

On an unfortunate note, the Kevan Pipe interview revealed that the CSA will not be seriously pursuing real grass at the new Toronto stadium. They have conceded that for the number and variety of uses the stadium will likely have, FieldTurf is the only option. It may be bowing to reality but is nonetheless dissapointing. I wish the interviewer had asked Kevan about the apparent FIFA decision to deny Costa Rica permission to use their stadium with FieldTurf for WCQ. I would very much like to hear the CSA's position on that.

They played really well in the first half especially and still, despite loosing both urgency and some of their best players to substitution, dominated the second half as well. I look forward to Pellerud starting Miranda, Cichini, Timko and Moscato in the midfield :) I was really impressed with Miranda. She appears to be exactly the kind of midfielder Canada needs. Also, Lang as a Centreback seems a stroke of genious. She swept very well. Perhaps a little prone to the long ball, but passed out as often, maybe a tad more, than she launched it out. Most of her launches ended up on Canadian feet though, so nothing wrong with that. Her partner also looks good as well. Yeah, probably more overall talent on this team, but Sinclair was a superstar head and shoulders above the rest, maybe Marta was close, but only on her good days. So that is one thing this vesion of U-19 doesn't have. Also, Candace Chapman was brilliant in the U-19 WC also. After watching the most recent WWC, I'd say she was one of the top 3 or 4 outside fullbacks in the world.

I am also glad to see all of the doomsayers who were predicting that Canada would play hoof and run until the rest of the world passed them were wrong (although one U-19 team does not neccesarily a reversal make). Given that both this U-19 women and the most recent U-20 men have played an attractive, technical style of soccer, and that the senior men have hired a coach who prefers a more technical short passing game, can I offer some Kudos to the CSA on (maybe) turning the corner without getting flamed?

It was nice to have Gerry and Helen in a more subdued and less know-it-all mode. I didn't have to mute the game this time. I did find Sportsnet replays a bit annoying at times as it cut down on live play too much. It was also nice to see that Sportsnet didn't cut off the transmission as soon as the final whistle went and we got to see the players celebrating.

quote:Originally posted by ray

On an unfortunate note, the Kevan Pipe interview revealed that the CSA will not be seriously pursuing real grass at the new Toronto stadium. They have conceded that for the number and variety of uses the stadium will likely have, FieldTurf is the only option. It may be bowing to reality but is nonetheless dissapointing. I wish the interviewer had asked Kevan about the apparent FIFA decision to deny Costa Rica permission to use their stadium with FieldTurf for WCQ. I would very much like to hear the CSA's position on that.

It was funny how Pipe started off by calling the new TO stadium "soccer-specific" and then go on to contradict himself [xx(]with all the reasons the multi-use facility will have to compromise on the soccer angle. I wish he weren't such a mumbo-jumbo[:o)]. At least Andy Sharpe comes out and says what's on his mind at times.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am also glad to see all of the doomsayers who were predicting that Canada would play hoof and run until the rest of the world passed them were wrong (although one U-19 team does not neccesarily a reversal make).

Let's see what happens when they play better teams. In the past they've changed their approach when playing better teams. Starting in the final against the US, but especially away from home in Thailand.

Hard to see them going long ball with the players they start in the positions they start. Neither Jamani nor Belanger are your target forward types. Lang is the only forward type who fits the mold, and she is playing cnetreback. If they move her (Lang) up front...in about 10 mins...then I'll be concerned.

Archived