Bayer Leverkusen Coach Augenthaler on DeGuzman

Grizzly

An excerpt from an interview in today's Kicker with Augenthaler on the personnel questions for Leverkusen in the upcoming season. Sounds a bit like he is expecting the transfer to happen.

Kicker: Julian De Guzman should be coming from Hannover. Where could he play?

Augenthaler: I see him as a typical sixer (not sure what he means by this, maybe as a sub/injury cover), as an alternative to Ramelow who often has to fight injuries. DeGuzman is a good lad, he wants to play for us and I think he will fit in.

kicker: Julian De Guzman soll aus Hannover kommen. Wo kann er spielen?

Augenthaler: Ich sehe ihn als typischen Sechser, als Alternative zu Ramelow, der ja auch mit Verletzungen zu kämpfen hat. De Guzman ist ein guter Junge, er will zu uns und ich glaube, er passt.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I would suspect he is referring to the traditional numbering to position..

where 1 is the goalkeeper and 9 and 10 being the two strikers... 6 - I think would be the central defensive midfielder but I could be wrong.

That would be my opinion as well.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I would suspect he is referring to the traditional numbering to position..

where 1 is the goalkeeper and 9 and 10 being the two strikers... 6 - I think would be the central defensive midfielder but I could be wrong.

the "6" is a central midfielder,in europe it`s very common to see teams play a "double 6", having 2 central midfielders to destroy the opponents game and to distribute possession.

Guest Jeffery S.

Central playmaking mid in front of the defence, at least as understood here, is a 4. 6 is usually given to what the Spanish call a volante, a left or right side attacking mid. But I wonder if the numbering is different in each nation. A nine is a centre striker, a 10 plays behind him. 11 is usually reserved for a classic winger, either side.

Maybe in Germany it is different, but I would say de Guzman would fit in with this description of a 6.

Guest Jeffery S.

Central playmaking mid in front of the defence, at least as understood here, is a 4. 6 is usually given to what the Spanish call a volante, a left or right side attacking mid. But I wonder if the numbering is different in each nation. A nine is a centre striker, a 10 plays behind him. 11 is usually reserved for a classic winger, either side.

Maybe in Germany it is different, but I would say de Guzman would fit in with this description of a 6.

There may be variations. I think though like basketball (1- point guard ... 5 - center)the numbers refer to player positions but each team can choose to employ them differently. The numbers generally start from the goal and move forward. And the 9 is normally the Central striker (Target Man) with the 10 playing in a more withdrawn role. Of course, with all the different formations these days, it is no longer so simple.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Archived