Jump to content

June 2 - Calgary Mustangs vs Seattle (R)

Guest Ed

Recommended Posts

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Official attendance was 1247, but that was highly optimistic. I'd suggest it was about half of that, maybe 700-800 at the most.


That's really horrible. With crowds like that, one has to question if Calgary is ready for the A-League.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Match report:

Sweet Revenge!!

June 2, 2004 – Calgary, Alberta

Goals by Damir Jesic and Steffen Holdt powered Calgary to its first victory of the 2004 campaign as they exacted a little revenge over the Seattle Sounders on Wednesday night.

In front of its largest crowd of the season, Calgary pressed Seattle throughout the match and forced the Sounder keeper, Preston Burpo, into a number of big saves.

Seattle began the action in the 5th minute as an inswinging free-kick from Viet Nguyen was met by Roger Levesque, but he headed straight down and the bounce was gathered by Lutz Pfannenstiel.

Seconds later, Calgary stole the ball, and Geert Brusselers fed Conrad Smith, but his blast was deflected for a corner.

Levesque and Nguyen combined again in the 10th minute off a corner, but Levesque’s header headed straight at Pfannenstiel.

Billy Sleeth was shown a yellow card in the 35th minute for roughing up Jamie Auvigne. That would come back to haunt him later in the match.

In the 38th minute, Calgary’s newest acquisition, Nic Reyes, made a lovely run down the left side and laid the ball to Conrad Smith, but his low shot lacked power and was gathered by Burpo.

Two minutes later, Seattle came close, by accident, as a clearing attempt by Auvigne went straight off the head of Jason Farrel, but luckily the rebound was directed straight into the arms of Pfannenstiel.

Calgary very nearly took the lead in the 40th minute as Jesic did a little juggling act with the ball before launching a looping 28-yard shot over the outstretched fingers of Burpo, but he was denied by the crossbar.

Calgary had the last chance of the half after Holdt latched onto a fine passing combination between Mesut Mert and Brusselers, but his 18 yard blast sailed just wide left.

HALFTIME SCORE: Calgary 0-0 Seattle

Calgary kept up the pressure after the restart and came close in the 56th minute. Mert fed a beautiful long ball to Reyes, who walked the ball up the right side before it found itself on the foot of Smith, whose shot was deflected wide for a corner.

A minute later, Mert lofted a perfect cross onto the head of Jesic, whose nod was just touched over the bar by Burpo.

GOAL – 57th Minute - The resulting corner saw Mert play provider again, as his beautiful corner was met by Holdt who made no mistake when he powerfully headed the ball past a sprawling Burpo.

The 65th minute saw Calgary substitute, Zdravko Savic make a long, weaving run before he got off a shot that rolled just wide of the left post.

GOAL – Calgary scored their second of the match in the 75th minute, as Jesic was finally rewarded with a goal. Holdt ran onto a fine through ball on the left touchline and curled a perfect left footer into Jesic, who took one steadying touch before slipping the ball past Burpo from around the penalty spot.

Five minutes later, Jesic would force Burpo into making an excellent save, at full stretch, as he dove to his left to parry away Jesic’s curling right-to-left shot from the top-left corner of the 18 yard box. Off of the resulting corner, Savic met the Mert cross and forced a reaction save from Burpo. The ball fell to the feet of Jesic, but his shot was blocked and resulted in another corner.

GOAL – In the 84th minute, Seattle would claw a goal back as Roger Levesque unleashed a powerful shot that found the left corner of the Calgary net, past a diving Pfannenstiel.

Shortly after, while awaiting a Seattle free-kick, the Sounder’s Sleeth decided to elbow Nick Zuniga in the nose, in the Calgary box. Sleeth was shown the red and was escorted off to a chorus of boos from the 1247 Calgary fans.

Calgary poured the pressure on and nearly regained a two-goal lead in the 90th minute as Savic missed a good shooting opportunity from in-close, after being fed by Sergei Kolomiets-Raad, following a fine run.

The fourth official signaled for 5 minutes of extra time, but Calgary hung on to post their first win of the season and draw within two points of Seattle for the fourth and final playoff spot.


57:00 – Calgary, Holdt

74:00 – Calgary, Jesic

83:00 – Seattle, Levesque

Calgary Lineup:

Pfannenstiel, Kooy (Gillespie 23), Pesznecker (Zuniga 37), Sestito, Auvigne, Holdt, Mert, Brusselers, Reyes, Jesic (Kolomiets-Raad 88, Smith (Savic 67)

Seattle Lineup:

Burpo, Sleeth, Velez, Jackson, Jenkins (Henderson 59), Nguyen (Callahan 76), Farrel, Brown, Aristodemo (Welton 62), Smith (Edwards 90), Levesque

Yellow Cards:

Seattle – Sleeth 30, 87

Calgary – Reyes 80, Raad 92

Red Cards:

Seattle – Sleeth 87 (second yellow)

Referee: Mark Budda

Attendance: 1247

Weather: Sunny, 18 degrees Celsius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:That's really horrible. With crowds like that, one has to question if Calgary is ready for the A-League.

If we keep playing like this, we're definitely ready for the A-League.

More wins means more people.

I would like to have seen over 2000, but the crowd today was more vocal and enjoyed some great soccer. Some more W's will bring the numbers up, for sure. Slow and steady wins the race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...