Canadian Belizeans discuss the match

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

5-0 Portugal! Well, one of our good Voyageurs predicted that Portugal would win 5-0 in the World Cup against the USA. Obviously that wasn't the case :D

I had a good heaping of Crow as a result.

Today, I would've said 5-0 USA.:D

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Some will attend the Kingston match I presume ...

The best quote from the conversation:

"Canada vs Belize...

Will probably go with Belize on this... dont know much about Canada's soccer team... "

Just to be clear, that person is answering the question "Who will you root for?" when making that response (NOT "Who do you think will win?")

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Does anyone know if Belize have named their squad yet?

They have. Here's the 24-man roster they have in camp. I think they've picked their 18, but I haven't found it yet.

The Football Federation of Belize has released a list of twenty-four players who are currently in training at the complex in Belmopan to represent this nation against Canada in World Cup qualifying play on June thirteenth and June sixteenth. These players are: Rodwell Leslie, Jarbi Alvarez, Vallan Symns, Charles Slusher, Jerome Serano, Robert Muschamp, Jori Suazo, Peter Mariano, Elroy Smith, Mark Leslie, Harrison Roaches, Dennis Serano, Eden Rawley, Amin Gonzalez, Jorge Dorado, Victor Morales, Denmark Casey, Deon Flowers, Olliver Hendricks, Deon Frazer, Francis Arzu, Shane Orio, Jamie Brooks, and Albert Thurton.

quote:I wonder if the FA have resolevd the dispute with their domestic league brass?

They have as well.

Here's a TV story from Thursday:

National footballers prepare for Canada

It has been a tumultuous and most likely crippling process, but Belize's national football team has finally been selected... only a matter of days before its first all important World Cup qualifier against Canada. News 5's James Adderley headed to Belmopan for a scouting report.

James Adderley, Reporting

The hopes and dreams of Belizean football took on a human face when we journeyed to capital city Belmopan on Wednesday to view the National Football Team that will represent Belize in the World Cup qualifying round at Canada.

Under the guidance of the Technical Director, Ian Mark, the players go through their practice routine at the football field with the two matches in Canada foremost in their minds.

Suddenly the rains come down, but the session continues as if Belizean football is saying nothing is going to stop this train. You see the long and bitter feud between the F.F.B. and the B.P.F.L. almost crushed this initiative in 2004. Of course, this internecine struggle did have its negative impact as relayed by Head Coach, Anthony “Garrincha” Adderley.

Anthony Adderley, Head Coach

”Life is always unfair, but God will help those who help themselves and here we trying to help ourselves with what we have. We’ll be putting out the best players with the time available to us and the resources available to us. That’s what we’re taking to Canada.”

Folks, this national team features the highest level of players in the country, but has a pattern to be utilised on the field against Canada been established.

Anthony Adderley

”Prior to two weeks ago we were just doing physical training and trying to select our players since the dispute between the two bodies have been solved and the players are now in camp, we’re trying to establish a pattern. We’re also trying to improve some of the late-comers physical fitness.”

So Mr. Head Coach, what are our expectations as Belizean football fans?

Anthony Adderley

”What we can expect from our national team in Canada is winning back our respect. A lot has been said about how many goals have been scored against us, how we have played poorly. Well we have come together now and this is the time for us to show our pride, our loyalty to our country, and represent well. Let us play with effort and don’t give up and we play till the long whistle blows.”

“This is a very important outing for Belizean football. The world will be looking at us, our players will be presenting themselves to the world, other coaches, scouts will be there. This is the time for people to see where our football is at and what we need to move forward.”

But what is the view from the players’ ranks?

Vallan Symns, Kulture Yabra

”The level of play is not the Canadian play, because some of them are from England, some are from America the Major Leagues; it’s some big players they are going to bring. But we can’t think about that, we just have to go our there and play our style of ball. And at the end of the day if we lose or win we can say we gave it our best shot.”

“I’m in the peak—the best years of my career, playing well. I just finished my season and never got hurt or anything, I’m going out there and want to do a good show, to try to get a scout to play outside, most of us have that passion to play outside for our country, become a profession. And at Canada there will be a lot of scouts our there and it will be a good opportunity for us.”

Amin Gonzalez, Boca Juniors

”The team I represent is Boca Juniors from Cayo and I got selected to play the National Team and I’m proud of that because it’s a long time I di wait for this opportunity to play on National Team of Belize.”

Certainly, you might know Robert Muschamp as the midfielder for Sagitun, but the National Team has chosen this Independence player as its captain.

Robert Muschamp, Captain Natl. Team

”I think we could do well. As long as we stay together, we listen to our coaching staff, we try to do exactly as we are told. I think we have a high expectation now, at least for my part. I am not afraid of Canada; in fact I am not afraid of any team out there; as long as we get together and know exactly what we want. It’s eleven players with one mind, and once we go with that, everything is going to be okay.”

Can we be sure everything be all right? Well if the unity, enthusiasm, optimism, and sense of opportunity that permeates in this particular environment continues to prevail Belizean football will have already won big time. As to the football match on the field, our expectations must be tempered by reality, and F.F.B. President Dr. Bertie Chimilio summed it up best.

Dr. Bertie Chimilio, President, F.F.B.

”We did a lot of hard work over the last three months, we call this team about February twenty-fifth of this year and we’ve have very good response. Towards the end now we had a greater response from the players. Nevertheless, it has always been mine, and the Federation’s thought that we must represent at any cost, we must be out there, the world must see us play. Even if our level is not there, the world must know that Belize exists and in Belize we play football. So despite the fact that it might sound too late, but we’ll go to Canada, we’ll represent, at any given time anything can happen, and I know these boys are motivated to go out there and do their best and after you’ve your best, not even the angels in heaven can ask for more.”

Our National Football Team leaves for Canada on Thursday, June tenth. They play game one on June thirteenth and game two on June sixteenth. Things have been far from perfect in our football world and there’s a whole lot left to be done to develop our football; let’s start here. Of course, win lose, or draw I’m a Belizeans and I know you are too. This is James Adderley reporting for News 5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been following Belize domestic soccer for more than a year and I've never heard of Amin Gonzalez. Symms is quite good and will anchor their defence, but I really don't know how good the rest of the d will be.

Sounds like they won't be nearly as well prepared as I thought. They've been training in secret and now publicly for more than a month and they've just starting to talk tactics? Oh well I'm not complaining.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Does anyone know if Belize have named their squad yet?

They have. Here's the 24-man roster they have in camp. I think they've picked their 18, but I haven't found it yet.

The Football Federation of Belize has released a list of twenty-four players who are currently in training at the complex in Belmopan to represent this nation against Canada in World Cup qualifying play on June thirteenth and June sixteenth. These players are: Rodwell Leslie, Jarbi Alvarez, Vallan Symns, Charles Slusher, Jerome Serano, Robert Muschamp, Jori Suazo, Peter Mariano, Elroy Smith, Mark Leslie, Harrison Roaches, Dennis Serano, Eden Rawley, Amin Gonzalez, Jorge Dorado, Victor Morales, Denmark Casey, Deon Flowers, Olliver Hendricks, Deon Frazer, Francis Arzu, Shane Orio, Jamie Brooks, and Albert Thurton.

quote:I wonder if the FA have resolevd the dispute with their domestic league brass?

They have as well.

Here's a TV story from Thursday:

National footballers prepare for Canada

It has been a tumultuous and most likely crippling process, but Belize's national football team has finally been selected... only a matter of days before its first all important World Cup qualifier against Canada. News 5's James Adderley headed to Belmopan for a scouting report.

James Adderley, Reporting

The hopes and dreams of Belizean football took on a human face when we journeyed to capital city Belmopan on Wednesday to view the National Football Team that will represent Belize in the World Cup qualifying round at Canada.

Under the guidance of the Technical Director, Ian Mark, the players go through their practice routine at the football field with the two matches in Canada foremost in their minds.

Suddenly the rains come down, but the session continues as if Belizean football is saying nothing is going to stop this train. You see the long and bitter feud between the F.F.B. and the B.P.F.L. almost crushed this initiative in 2004. Of course, this internecine struggle did have its negative impact as relayed by Head Coach, Anthony “Garrincha” Adderley.

Anthony Adderley, Head Coach

”Life is always unfair, but God will help those who help themselves and here we trying to help ourselves with what we have. We’ll be putting out the best players with the time available to us and the resources available to us. That’s what we’re taking to Canada.”

Folks, this national team features the highest level of players in the country, but has a pattern to be utilised on the field against Canada been established.

Anthony Adderley

”Prior to two weeks ago we were just doing physical training and trying to select our players since the dispute between the two bodies have been solved and the players are now in camp, we’re trying to establish a pattern. We’re also trying to improve some of the late-comers physical fitness.”

So Mr. Head Coach, what are our expectations as Belizean football fans?

Anthony Adderley

”What we can expect from our national team in Canada is winning back our respect. A lot has been said about how many goals have been scored against us, how we have played poorly. Well we have come together now and this is the time for us to show our pride, our loyalty to our country, and represent well. Let us play with effort and don’t give up and we play till the long whistle blows.”

“This is a very important outing for Belizean football. The world will be looking at us, our players will be presenting themselves to the world, other coaches, scouts will be there. This is the time for people to see where our football is at and what we need to move forward.”

But what is the view from the players’ ranks?

Vallan Symns, Kulture Yabra

”The level of play is not the Canadian play, because some of them are from England, some are from America the Major Leagues; it’s some big players they are going to bring. But we can’t think about that, we just have to go our there and play our style of ball. And at the end of the day if we lose or win we can say we gave it our best shot.”

“I’m in the peak—the best years of my career, playing well. I just finished my season and never got hurt or anything, I’m going out there and want to do a good show, to try to get a scout to play outside, most of us have that passion to play outside for our country, become a profession. And at Canada there will be a lot of scouts our there and it will be a good opportunity for us.”

Amin Gonzalez, Boca Juniors

”The team I represent is Boca Juniors from Cayo and I got selected to play the National Team and I’m proud of that because it’s a long time I di wait for this opportunity to play on National Team of Belize.”

Certainly, you might know Robert Muschamp as the midfielder for Sagitun, but the National Team has chosen this Independence player as its captain.

Robert Muschamp, Captain Natl. Team

”I think we could do well. As long as we stay together, we listen to our coaching staff, we try to do exactly as we are told. I think we have a high expectation now, at least for my part. I am not afraid of Canada; in fact I am not afraid of any team out there; as long as we get together and know exactly what we want. It’s eleven players with one mind, and once we go with that, everything is going to be okay.”

Can we be sure everything be all right? Well if the unity, enthusiasm, optimism, and sense of opportunity that permeates in this particular environment continues to prevail Belizean football will have already won big time. As to the football match on the field, our expectations must be tempered by reality, and F.F.B. President Dr. Bertie Chimilio summed it up best.

Dr. Bertie Chimilio, President, F.F.B.

”We did a lot of hard work over the last three months, we call this team about February twenty-fifth of this year and we’ve have very good response. Towards the end now we had a greater response from the players. Nevertheless, it has always been mine, and the Federation’s thought that we must represent at any cost, we must be out there, the world must see us play. Even if our level is not there, the world must know that Belize exists and in Belize we play football. So despite the fact that it might sound too late, but we’ll go to Canada, we’ll represent, at any given time anything can happen, and I know these boys are motivated to go out there and do their best and after you’ve your best, not even the angels in heaven can ask for more.”

Our National Football Team leaves for Canada on Thursday, June tenth. They play game one on June thirteenth and game two on June sixteenth. Things have been far from perfect in our football world and there’s a whole lot left to be done to develop our football; let’s start here. Of course, win lose, or draw I’m a Belizeans and I know you are too. This is James Adderley reporting for News 5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been following Belize domestic soccer for more than a year and I've never heard of Amin Gonzalez. Symms is quite good and will anchor their defence, but I really don't know how good the rest of the d will be.

Sounds like they won't be nearly as well prepared as I thought. They've been training in secret and now publicly for more than a month and they've just starting to talk tactics? Oh well I'm not complaining.

cheers,

matthew

quote:I've been following Belize domestic soccer for more than a year and I've never heard of Amin Gonzalez. Symms is quite good and will anchor their defence, but I really don't know how good the rest of the d will be.

Because Belize Premiere league was in disagreement with the Federation, the federation created a new league known as the A league. Many players from the premier league joined this league. The current sub-champs is a team from Santa Elena, Cayo known as BOCA. Here is where Amin Gonzales plays. He is a very talented young man. If given the opportunity to play then you won't need a year to know them one game will do. In fact, Gonzales hasn't been playing in the Belize Premiere league because he didn't want to. The only one who made the move was his older brother who plays for San Pedro Sea Hawks.

quote:Canada vs Belize...

Will probably go with Belize on this... dont know much about Canada's soccer team...

Of course we (or at least I) don't dream of Belize winning 5-0 but I truly Believe we will earn the respect of the Canadians. Once the whistle blows it will be 11 vs 11.

quote:Originally posted by Belizean

Of course we (or at least I) don't dream of Belize winning 5-0 but I truly Believe we will earn the respect of the Canadians. Once the whistle blows it will be 11 vs 11.

Belizean, I think most of us respect your team, based on your

results against Guatemala, Haiti, and Nicaragua. This is why

Yallop is not taking your team lightly and is fielding its first-team

(minus one or two). After its Gold Cup match with Cuba, Canada is

not taking anyone lightly.

quote:Belizean, I think most of us respect your team, based on your

results against Guatemala, Haiti, and Nicaragua. This is why

Yallop is not taking your team lightly and is fielding its first-team

(minus one or two). After its Gold Cup match with Cuba, Canada is

not taking anyone lightly.

Based on past results, if I were a Canadian I would have high hopes of doing a good job against Belize. However, being confident is one thing and bragging is another. While some of you may respect our team, it is unfortunate to read some of the posts from some of you alreading thinking about the next round and preparations for it. A few years back Real Espana of Honduras (champ) came to Belize to play against Juventus of Belize (champ) for the Concacaf champions cup. The hondurans won the game 1 - 0 even though the commentators from honduras all agreed that Belize outplayed them. When they returned to Honduras they begun preparations for the next round believing they were over Belize. A week later for the return match, Belize surprized them by winning 4 - 1 in Honduras. About a month later same Juventus played Platense of Honduras for the second round of the same tournament and again we won 1 - 0.

This is just an example. Or ask the concacaf champions Alajuela of Costa Rica who were also surprised to loose against Acros of Belize City after they had believed they would trash us.

So asking for 8 - 0 (and a $1 for every goal) is not being confident and respectful. It is plain disrespectful. If you want to demonstrate your confidence it is enough to point out that due to the fact that many of your players play in European leagues that you have a good chance of winning regardless of the score.

Because Belize Premiere league was in disagreement with the Federation, the federation created a new league known as the A league. Many players from the premier league joined this league. The current sub-champs is a team from Santa Elena, Cayo known as BOCA. Here is where Amin Gonzales plays. He is a very talented young man. If given the opportunity to play then you won't need a year to know them one game will do. In fact, Gonzales hasn't been playing in the Belize Premiere league because he didn't want to. The only one who made the move was his older brother who plays for San Pedro Sea Hawks.

Well the reason I spent a year is because I do respect your side and wanted to learn more. I was mostly following the PBFL, but yes I knew BOCA were champions of the A Tournament, but didn't know how good that league as compared to the BPFL.

Thanks for the info. I was very surprised Nunez and Celiz weren't selected and Bent Burgess as well. You made it sound like this was a politically motivated thing? It seems Nunez is pretty out-spoken, but for the others I was surprised. Still there is a lot of talent up front and in the midfield from what I've read. How big is their loss for you, or are you better off with a harmonious team?

I respect your side, but I believe we are coming to Kingston to win and I always believe we will win before a match. I expect a good match and don't believe the score will get carried away.

cheers,

matthew

quote:I was mostly following the PBFL, but yes I knew BOCA were champions of the A Tournament, but didn't know how good that league as compared to the BPFL.

Many people in Belize felt and in fact still feel that the level of play between the BPFL and the A Tournament is in favor of the BPFL. However, the A tournament teams are making good progress. For example Verdes pulled out from the BPFL tournament and went to play for the A tournament, because the winnner would be the one to represent Belize for the CONCACAF champions tournament. Even though they changed over with their full semi-pro squad, lost their first two games to A tournament teams.

Belize football is kind of "funny" to follow. There is the BPFL A Tournament, the BPFL B Tournament and the FFB A Tournament competing for the top places. Then in each district you have what is known as 1st Division, 2nd Division.

In the cayo district, where I come from, there have been very good players from the 1st Division (amatuer) who then make it up to the semi-pro and A tournament teams. Right now, there is a very young guy, 17 years, who has been given an opportunity to play with the Honduran club Olimpia. He comes from the 1st division tournament.

Many people in Belize felt and in fact still feel that the level of play between the BPFL and the A Tournament is in favor of the BPFL. However, the A tournament teams are making good progress.

OTOH Boca Juniors lost 15-0 to aggregate to Alajuelense in the Champions Cup, while BPFL teams were generally competitive and pulled off the occasional upset as you noted above.

Just found this on the Channel 7 news site archieves:

posted (May 13, 2004)

With the feud settled, the FFB says the major huddle to victory in Canada is financing to prepare all 18 players for the trip north. The FFB appealed to the business community and today Scotia Bank, whose headquarters are based in Canada, chipped in with $5,000.

In accepting the check from Scotia's Country Manager Patrick Andrews, the FFB's Dr. Chimilio says the money will definitely be useful.

Dr. Bertie Chimilio,

"This will be used to get traveling gear for the team: sweat suits, shirts, and it will be very good for us at least now we can travel as a team and look quite neat when we travel and this is something we have always liked to do and Scotia Bank is contributing this time to make that happen."

Patrick Andrews, Manager Scotia Bank

"We felt that the Belize selection or Belize as a whole needed the support from the business community and ourselves as a Canadian based bank we wanted to more or less step up to the plate and assist the Belize selection in facing the Canadian selection. Canada and Scotia Bank are one and so we wanted Belize to jump in also."

So I just have to ask who will Scotia Bank be rooting for since you guys are from Canada?

Patrick Andrews,

"No, no, no, our parent company is Canadian but we are all Belizeans so we will be rooting for Belize all the way and we will come back with something - you watch it."

Our national football team leaves for Canada on June 10th. Their first game will be June 13th.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad I bank at CIBC :)

cheers,

matthew

Belize remain unbeaten in prep games for Canada:

Belize tops Guatemala in friendly warm-up

Good evening, I’m James Adderley and we welcome you to this delivery of Sports Monday. As a part of its preparation for next week’s two-match World Cup qualifier at Canada, the National Football Team engaged a two-game international friendly series with the professional military team from insides Guatemala known as Aurora.

In game one at the Michael Ashcroft Stadium Friday night, the National team got a wicked header from Orland Lyons to burn the visitors 1-zip, so the Guatemalans are quite serious about today’s outcome.

Of course, Belize has its own motivation and the first shot at goal comes from Denmark Casey, but is hasn’t enough on it to worry the Guatemalan goal keeper.

Belize attacks again off this nice centre from Yellowman Rowley that sees Dennis Serrano beat the keeper, but the ball whistles outside the target.

At this time we salute these Cayo fans who proudly display the national flag and we say viva la patria.

Now folks, this is where I question the discipline of this military team. Number twenty-eight intentionally takes down Yellowman. The referee immediately shows him the red card—and now this Guatemalan player spits at the referee. This move could have sparked a new Central American war, but cooler heads do prevailed. Still, number twenty-eight must leave the field in disgrace.

In the meantime, let me just quickly remind you that the mood on the pitch has undergone a server decline and it’s being manifested on both sides of the equation.

The visitors try to steal the lead off this spot kick, but the goalkeeper comes up with an easy save. At the other end, the national team gets an open look at goal, but Amin Gonzales fails to complete the hard work Serrano started and at the half the scoreboard remains unmoved.

It’s more home side highlights when Orland Lyons, the scorer from game one tries to repeat with this individual effort that rises over the crossbar.

Meanwhile, the Guats look to take the lead with this centre into the danger zone, but John Brooks is well positioned.

However, the best shot by the visitors comes with this punch from number twelve off the left wing, but ain’t nothing doing. Folks, this play breaks down but finds Victor Morales of the A league who fires this screamer, but the keeper comes up with a good save.

For certain, this shot would have given the visitors the lead, except for the intervention of Vallan Symns.

It’s getting late in the ballgame when Serrano slices with the left foot to Victor Morales and just like that team Belize takes a 1-zip lead.

Belize looks for more off this spot kick from Yellowman, but the keeper gets a hand on it. Still, looking to double the lead, Serrano fails to find either the back of the net or Deon Frazer to squander this wonderful scoring opportunity.

Now folks, the frustration that had been mounting on the Aurora ball club found this player pushing his Belizean counterpart for no apparent reason. Deon Frazer intervenes and then all hell almost breaks loose. Mercifully, things did cool down. Belize goes on to post the 1-zip victory to sweep the series and inform Guatemala that Belize no longer belongs to them.

James Adderley

“It was a good finish and we are very thankful that you provided the goal for us, but I gotta say looking at your game today, I thought you were a little bit soft against the aggressive nature of the Aurora players.”

Victor Morales, Member, Belize Natl. Football Team

”Yes, because I noh know, it’s something that I get nervous or something like that, but I come in the game in the second half really strong.”

James Adderley

“Okay. Do you feel that after this performance that we could go to Canada and pick up a W?”

Victor Morales

”Yes. We are training.”

Anthony Adderley, Head Coach, Natl. Football Team

”We are a lot more physical than they are, we are a lot more fitter than they are, but our ball movement needs to improve a little bit more. We are getting goals. It’s only one, but we need to score at least three goals a game before we can say that we are on top of our game. At the moment we haven’t shown that. It’s a confidence building game, but to say that we think we are already at that level that we can challenge Canada out rightly? No! Canada still has a few legs ahead of us, but by the time Sunday come, we should be right there.”

So, Belize sweep this friendly series with Aurora and our team leaves the jewel on Thursday to face Canada on the thirteenth and then on the sixteenth. We take this opportunity to wish our team maximum success.

Hey folks, that’s our show for today, but before we go we just want to remind you that the national team leaves for Canada Thursday, June tenth. Hopefully they’ll make us proud, if they don’t, then at least they’ve tried. We invite you back same time, same place next week. Jah over all, I'm James Adderley.

I've been with Scotiabank since my student loan days (which was several generations ago). I will be moving my accounts to CIBC this week, after talking to some suits.

Sad to see Yellowman has pulled an Owen H and abandoned Trenchtown for Belize.

I'm more interested to see that a guy I thought was an iron clad lock to start in their central defence — Orland Lyons — yet wasn't named in their 24-man roster, apparently scored the goal in the first game. Based on the players they called they have a very offensive/attacking lineup.

And can I say enough about the Belizean player's nicknames . . . Yellowman, Carcass, Da Madd Bomber and Big Den (who is 5'8" maybe he's stocky? unless it's an ironic thing, but 5'8" is pretty average).

cheers,

matthew

Guest Dave

I have accounts at both CIBC and Scotiabank. I will be terminating my business with Scotiabank this week after hearing about this.

Archived