Neil Davidson: Devos Ready for Canada

Defender Jason deVos sorts out club future, ready to play for Canada

(CP) - Jason deVos has sorted out his club soccer future and that's good news for Canada.

The big defender, out of contract at Wigan, has signed a three-year deal with English First Division side Ipswich Town. That means he's available to play in Canada's first round of World Cup qualifying against Belize next month in Kingston, Ont. It also means he will play a pair of tuneup matches: Sunday against Wales in Wrexham, and June 5 in San Jose against the MLS Earthquakes.

"It was a concern for me being out of contract," deVos said Thursday from the Canadian team hotel outside Chester, England. "I wasn't sure if I'd be able to play in these games if I couldn't get my contract situation sorted out. But I'm glad that it's all done and dusted and I'm here now and raring to go, and really looking forward to the challenge ahead."

The move to Ipswich continues a Canadian link to the East Anglia club. Current Canadian national team coach Frank Yallop played there from 1982 to 1996 while former goalkeeper and current TV analyst Craig Forrest was a member of the Tractor Boys from 1985 to 1997.

"A great move," Yallop said Thursday of deVos' switch. "It's a wonderful club. I have some great memories there . . . It's really my only club to be honest, playing-wise.

"The fans are fantastic, the ground's great, the people there are really friendly. He'll have a really good time there."

DeVos, 30, wasn't necessarily looking to leave Wigan, which finished seventh in the First Division last season. But the club was somewhat tardy in offering him a new contract and deVos was not happy with the terms.

Plus when the offer of a two-year deal finally came, it was February - one month after deVos was allowed to speak to other clubs. So he explored his options, with interest coming from Ipswich, Stoke City and Cardiff City among others.

Still he says he chose Ipswich over more lucrative offers. He liked the setup of the club, from the 30,311 capacity of Portman Road stadium to its staff and squad.

While happy to land in Ipswich, getting there involved a side of soccer deVos does not enjoy.

"It is a business and it's a horrible business to be in as a footballer. Because you are just a piece of property that kind of gets traded about as a commodity," said deVos, who has also played for Dundee United and Darlington. "There doesn't seem to be a great deal of commitment to players in today's games unfortunately from clubs."

Ipswich has a proud history. Founded in 1878 - although the team did not enter the Football League until 1938 - the club was a founding member of the Premier League. It was relegated in 1995 but won promotion in 2000, only to fall again in 2002.

Its trophy case includes the FA Cup (1978) and the UEFA Cup (1981). And former managers include England bosses Alf Ramsey (who won the World Cup in 1966) and Sir Bobby Robson. The current manager is Joe Royle, a former star player and veteran manager.

The addition of deVos should be good news for Ipswich, which leaked goals this season despite finishing fifth in the First Division with a 21-15-10 record, losing 2-1 on aggregate to West Ham in the semifinals of the promotion playoff.

Ipswich scored 84 goals last season, tops in the division, but gave up 72. Only 19th-place Burnley (77) and No. 24 Wimbledon (89) let more in.

DeVos, a hard-nosed defender from Appin, Ont., has played for Canada 43 times since making his debut against Iran in 1997.

He served as skipper under former manager Holger Osieck but Yallop said Thursday he has yet to decide on his captain. DeVos says he is not concerned about possibly not wearing the armband.

"It's not going to change me as a player or as a person. I'm still going to go out and play the game exactly the way I play it."

Notes: Defender Chris Pozniak did not make it to the Canadian camp for the game against Wales. A team spokesman said his Norwegian club, Haugesund, had refused to release him.

quote:

Notes: Defender Chris Pozniak did not make it to the Canadian camp for the game against Wales. A team spokesman said his Norwegian club, Haugesund, had refused to release him.

Interesting. Probably too late to get a replacement by now.

Guest Georgio

Now that would be a good development if Aguiar attended. Rather funny too after everything he said here. We can be sure that Watson and Aguiar would not be sharing a room.

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

If Pozniak is out, this would be a great chance to bring in Aguiar for the 2 matches, especially as one would replace a defensive minded player with one of similar ilk.

Cheers!

After what was said, would you really want him on the team? Including someone on a squad is more than just a question of skill.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

any indications why poz's club didnt want to release him?

I think that if Canada insisted he would have to go as it is a FIFA date. But since he has club games this weekend -he's in 2nd tier, they don't normally stop anywhere for FIFA dates- they surely came to a sort of deal, not go now but maybe go for Belize.

Since Poz has just arrived there and the season is just under way he probably wants to dosify his Canada appearances.

Shouldn't Frank Yallop have received clearance from Pozniak's club before calling him up? Don't you set these kind of things up with a club weeks in advance? This seems like poor planning from Yallop or the CSA or whoever is responsible for the finer details in player call ups. Oh well, I guess we can find someone from the English 3rd division to replace Pozniak.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Oh well, I guess we can find someone from the English 3rd division to replace Pozniak.

Don't wish for things you might not be prepared for. Yallop can

call up Fenwick, Dasovic, et. al. :)

Seriously, as much as you can blame Yallop we just don't know why

this arrangement is botched up. Pozniak may have said yes, but the

team may have changed its mind.

Let's have a prognosis after the Belize series. It's too early to

judge Yallop or the MNT, and not all decisions will be acceptable

to its supporters.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Shouldn't Frank Yallop have received clearance from Pozniak's club before calling him up? Don't you set these kind of things up with a club weeks in advance? This seems like poor planning from Yallop or the CSA or whoever is responsible for the finer details in player call ups. Oh well, I guess we can find someone from the English 3rd division to replace Pozniak.

Funny how everyone was screaming for Yallop to be our coach, and now after one game (a win at that !) people appear to be turning on him.

As for replacing Poz with someone in the English Third Division, it's conceivable that Terry Dunfield could be called (as Poz is playing more of a mid role with FKH). I would certainly have no problem with that.

Archived