More English soccer on Fox sports world

shaku_bert

I'm surprised no-one has brought this up.

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=2433836

Says that there will be more EPL on FSN. First I wonder if that means Sportsnet will not cover EPL any more. I also wonder if fox will kill its other European games. I hope not as I enjoyed watching the German soccer in particular. I also wonder if Bob McMahan will be banished to nunavut (I know that has nothing to do with the announced EPL thing, but it is something i'd love to see happen anyhow)

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

Says that there will be more EPL on FSN. First I wonder if that means Sportsnet will not cover EPL any more. I also wonder if fox will kill its other European games. I hope not as I enjoyed watching the German soccer in particular. I also wonder if Bob McMahan will be banished to nunavut (I know that has nothing to do with the announced EPL thing, but it is something i'd love to see happen anyhow)

Actually, I was going to mention this but forgot. Both the Premiership trophy and FA Cup made its way to "Nevada Smiths" in New York yesterday. Awesome event ... i never thought I would be in the same room as those trophies by complete accident! (ie. yesterday was the first I heard about FSW's increased coverage).

Anyway, not sure if this effects Sportsnet or not. There were always games scheduled in the past seasons that were on both FSW and sportsnet. Altho that article makes it sound like Sportsnet are totally shut-out from the EPL now. Personally, i wouldn't mind if it translates to more money for La Liga coverage. Well, that might be a stretch, but either way its great news for soccer fans in North America!

It is very possible that the current deal is that FSW has the North American rights, which they then sell on to Sportsnet for Canada. I'd be surprised if this meant no soccer on regular cable in this country.

Sounds like we'll see more FA Cup, which is appreciated.

Now where are those Division One matches??

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

It is very possible that the current deal is that FSW has the North American rights, which they then sell on to Sportsnet for Canada. I'd be surprised if this meant no soccer on regular cable in this country.

Sounds like we'll see more FA Cup, which is appreciated.

Now where are those Division One matches??

Um, Sportsnet isn't the only regular cable station in Canada that shows soccer. There is a world outside of England.

Oh, those poor Americans. I hope they don't impose their PPV on us!

quote:"David Sternberg, Fox Cable Networks' senior vice president of emerging networks, said it had not yet been determined how many games would be shown on Fox Sports World, which is available in about 20 million homes, and how many would be sold pay-per-view - last Saturday's FA Cup final was available live in New York City households for $24.95."

That being said, I am ordering PPV for the Div One final tomorrow. That used to be on Sportsnet, the buggers. (Except Setanta may be the ones to blame for this) Oh well, it's a good excuse to get a group together. :D

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

First time poster here, glad to see a place where Canadian socer fans can get together and chat about the game we all love!

EPL wll be back on Sportsnet and FSWC next season with coverage of more games thanks to this new deal. I am not sure who will show what games- does anyone know who gets first pickings FSWC or Sportsnet?

shaku-bert, I am happy to tell you that the Bundesliga will be back again next year! I am a fan of the German league too and had they stopped showing it I probably would not have watched FSW anymore. In addition, the French, Brazilian and Argentinian leagues will also be back. The Dutch League however will not. I hope they sign long-term deals for the German and French leagues (apparently the same company now distributes the rights for both leagues). Lots of people voiced their views to FSW regarding the European leagues, I think that is why they are back (A poster on the 'Big Soccer' boards kept saying that these leagues would not be back because no one watched them and they did not sell ads for FSW- well apparently some people do or else no on would have contacted FSW about this). I am glad to see coverage of other leagues because EPL all the time would have sucked!

F.A. Cup and UEFA Cup will also be back on FSWC, I am not sure about the English national team games though. FSW now has rights to their home games through this new deal.

Regarding Sportsnet, does anyone know if their coverage of the Spanish league and UEFA cup was a one time deal or will they be back again next season? Did they sign a multi-year deal or one year deal with GOLTV?

I am a TV junkie and I like to keep-up-to-date regarding soccer coverage on TV, that is why I know all this stuff.

It looks like Canadian soccer fans will have another great season to look forward to next year- lots of coverage on the tube!

I got this from a BigSoccer.com post.

quote:Expected TV schedule next year:

Saturday 7:30am ET live on FOX Sports World (US) and Rogers Sportsnet (Canada)

Saturday 10am ET live on pay-per-view (US) and Rogers Sportsnet (Canada)

Saturday 12noon ET either live or 2-hour delay on FOX Sports World (US) and Rogers Sportsnet (Canada)

Sunday 9am ET live on FOX Sports World Canada. Time slot for this match on FOX Sports World (US) is to be determined.

Sunday 11am ET live on pay-per-view (US) and FOX Sports World Canada. If no 11am ET game is available, then the 9am ET game will air on pay-per-view (US) at 11am ET.

Weekday games live on FOX Sports World (US) and FOX Sports World Canada.

I'm not sure if Rogers will be showing 3 games on Saturdays, but it would be nice for the selection of matches!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

its great news for soccer fans in North America!

If it takes away from coverage of other leagues then no, it isn't. Since FSWC was born, coverage of English soccer on that channel has increased while coverage of other European soccer has decreased, so I remain skeptical. I don't care if English soccer brings in the most money, it's great only for those making this money and for fans of English soccer, not for fans of soccer in general.

Archived