de Vos & Bircham news/rumours

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

An article on the Sheffield United web-page states that they have been in talks with Marc Bircham, who is out of contract. He says that he doesn't want to leave QPR but is willing to listen to offers.

ALSO, From Sky Sports:

Ipswich Town have confirmed that they are in talks with Canadian international defender Jason de Vos over a possible move to Portman Road.

The Wigan Athletic captain is in search of a new contract after seeing his current Latics deal expire at the season's end, with Stoke City and Cardiff City also showing an interest in de Vos.

The club announced that the former Darlington and Dundee United centre back will travel to Suffolk on Tuesday for talks with Town boss Joe Royle, who has stated his desire to bring in a new centre back after seeing Matt Elliott end his loan spell with Ipswich and return to parent club Leicester City.

"Jason is available on a Bosman and is coming down to talk to us about a possible move here," Royle told the club's official website.

"He's a player that I have admired for a while, a big commanding central defender and I think he could do the same sort of job that Matt Elliott did for us at the end of last season.

"I have made no secret of the fact that I am looking to bring in a new central defender as well as a front player.

"It's by no means anywhere near a done deal, though. Stoke and Cardiff are also interested in talking to him and Wigan have made him an offer to stay there as well.

"We will sit down and talk and see how things go. I'd love to tie something up today (Tuesday) but we will have to wait and see how things develop."

De Vos told skysports.com earlier this month that he hoped to resolve his future by the end of May, with the Canada skipper facing World Cup qualifying with his country at home next month.

Guest Can. in UK

I suppose this puts to rest any notion of Bircham being a Premiership player.

He can transfer for free on a Bosman, yet the Premiership teams previously linked with him have not expressed interest (that we know of yet).

What are your thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

I suppose this puts to rest any notion of Bircham being a Premiership player.

He can transfer for free on a Bosman, yet the Premiership teams previously linked with him have not expressed interest (that we know of yet).

What are your thoughts?

Re.: Bircham

I have seen him play much more often for our MNT than I have for his club sides. I cannot say that he is premeirship level no more than I can say that he definitly isn't. I recall that he had a very strong game in that Freindly versus Northern Ireland circa 1999. I was also quite impressed with his play versus Mexico at Varsity especially given that he showed some really good abilities on set pieces and appeared to be a really presence on the pitch as far as leadership. But he looked somewhat up and down in that Freindly versus Finland.

As far as where he stands on the depth charts of MF's for Canada, IMO he a dropped a little. But not necessarily because his play has dropped but moreso because other MF's are improving and gaining more and more professional experience. Right now, I can think of others who should be in the starting line up over him and that is probably a good sign for our MNT as far as our MF position goes. As far as those past rumours that surfaced here a while back ( was it Spurs that he was linked to?), I never took them seriously in the first place. We have seen this stuff before haven't we. Players using the media to boost their values by throwing out these kind of rumours or clubs using these kind of rumours for one reason or another.

One point to consider, I have on occasion peroused that lists of recent and past transfers that are available on line. There is a certain trend that sticks in my mind. That is that there are not that many transfers from lower divisions clubs to the Premiership clubs for players that are at or past their prime. Meaning, If he is not playing top division soccer now, he will most very certainly never will be. I have noticed that most transfers to top tier clubs are from abroad, demoted sides or other top tier clubs in the same league. They may also stock their squads with youth players or maybe even the odd young player like Hume who is playing in Lower divisions, but because of his age and internation pedigree, has some real upside.

As I try understand more and more how these things work, I noticed that they really do resemble the minor leagues in Hockey and Baseball in North america. The exception, of course, that you can get promoted whereas no such thing exists in North America. If you are not in the NHL by the time your 25-28 you will not ever unless you are a goon or someting like a 4th line injury callup.

In summing up, a decent to good player but I saw nothing to suggest premiership from him.

Archived