Dutch Euro 2004 Squad

Mimglow

No suprises in Dutch squad

Theo Ruizenaar

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/euro2004/headlinenews?id=301100&cc=5901

AMSTERDAM, May 19 (Reuters) - Dutch coach Dick Advocaat sprang no suprises on Wednesday when he announced his provisional 23-man squad for the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal.

There were places for Ajax Amsterdam youngsters Rafael van der Vaart, Wesley Sneijder and Johnny Heitinga, who will all be taking part in their first major tournament.

Forward Arjen Robben, soon to join Chelsea, has recovered sufficiently from a hamstring injury to be included in the squad that will assemble on May 26 for a warm-up match against Belgium in Eindhoven on May 29.

Defender Mario Melchiot and his Chelsea team mate Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, a striker, along with Manchester City midfielder Paul Bosvelt and PSV Eindhoven defender Andre Ooijer have been put on standby in case of injury.

The Dutch play the Faroe Islands in Lausanne on June 1 and host Ireland four days later.

On June 8 they travel to Portugal where they open their tournament a week later against Group D rivals Germany in Porto. Latvia and the Czech Republic are also in their group.

Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Fulham, England), Ronald Waterreus (PSV Eindhoven), Sander Westerveld (Real Sociedad, Spain)

Defenders: Michael Reiziger (Barcelona, Spain), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Jaap Stam (Lazio, Italy), Frank de Boer (Rangers, Scotland), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona, Spain), Wilfred Bouma (PSV Eindhoven)

Midfielders: Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Edgar Davids (Barcelona, Spain), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan, Italy), Philip Cocu (Barcelona, Spain), Boudewijn Zenden (Middlesbrough, England), Mark van Bommel (PSV Eindhoven)

Forwards: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, England), Patrick Kluivert (Barcelona, Spain), Pierre van Hooijdonk (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich, Germany), Edwin van der Meijder (Inter Milan, Italy), Marc Overmars (Barcelona, Spain), Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven)

Well, Reizinger and Davids are in great form lately. Almost everyone on the squad play for clubs that finished the season on a positive note, so hopefully that'll translate to some positive attitudes at the start!

I just hope Advocaat doesn't still think he can win with van Nistelroij in the starting 11. [|)]

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

My gut feeling tells me that the Netherlands won't be a power this year. I may be wrong of course, but the squad doesn't jump off the page.

I get the same feeling. It appears to be very much the same old names and there doesn't seem to be a renewal. Davids, Overmars, Kluiverts, De Boar have been there for a while now haven't they? I even recall Overmars from when he played on that squad that faced Canada at Varsity stadium in 1994.

Also, it would appear that few would be dissappointed to see Davids leave Juve. Many of the others strike me as being in the same boat.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

My gut feeling tells me that the Netherlands won't be a power this year. I may be wrong of course, but the squad doesn't jump off the page.

I get the same feeling. It appears to be very much the same old names and there doesn't seem to be a renewal. Davids, Overmars, Kluiverts, De Boar have been there for a while now haven't they? I even recall Overmars from when he played on that squad that faced Canada at Varsity stadium in 1994.

Also, it would appear that few would be dissappointed to see Davids leave Juve. Many of the others strike me as being in the same boat.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well, Overmars has to be called because of the question-mark surrounding Robben's fitness. Robben should get the majority of playing time though if everything goes well with the recovery process.

Hmmm... I'm not sure about the Davids/Juve comment. I mean, Barca have been the best team in Europe since Davids arrived there. Meanwhile, Juve went into the tank after he left.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well, Overmars has to be called because of the question-mark surrounding Robben's fitness. Robben should get the majority of playing time though if everything goes well with the recovery process.

Hmmm... I'm not sure about the Davids/Juve comment. I mean, Barca have been the best team in Europe since Davids arrived there. Meanwhile, Juve went into the tank after he left.

This article is not completely up to date. Jaap Stam is now with AC Milan. [B)]:([xx(][V]:([|)]

(Yeah, Maldini, Nesta, Stam. Apparently Milan won't be giving up any goals next year. The anti-Real Madrid.)

This article is not completely up to date. Jaap Stam is now with AC Milan. [B)]:([xx(][V]:([|)]

(Yeah, Maldini, Nesta, Stam. Apparently Milan won't be giving up any goals next year. The anti-Real Madrid.)

Seems Hasselbaink and Melchiot are on the outs with Advocat.

I guess they didnt get enough games at Chelsea which is funny because VAN der Mede was called and he was used sparingly at Inter.

Probably right to leave Bosvelt, shame about Ronald De Boer, would have been nice for him and his brother to go out together.

Surely this is VAn Hooijdonk's final magor tournament?

But everyone would of loved to see Bergkamp there. Kind of like Shearer with England and Baggio with Italy.

But otherwise no major surprises.

I guess they didnt get enough games at Chelsea which is funny because VAN der Mede was called and he was used sparingly at Inter.

Probably right to leave Bosvelt, shame about Ronald De Boer, would have been nice for him and his brother to go out together.

But everyone would of loved to see Bergkamp there. Kind of like Shearer with England and Baggio with Italy.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

And Davids is not officially a Barcelona player come June 1 unless we sign him. After that date he should be officially listed as uncommitted.

Word is that Barça won't offer him the same as some other Italian clubs like Inter, so it is question of where he wants to be.

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

We have seen this before though haven't we? Many national sides in Europe tend to favour players who play professionally in other championships in Europe rather than England. Remember Eric Cantona? A legend at Man U but seldom, if ever, called by the French National team. In a way this is why I have always favoured and hoped that that our MNT not be made up entirely of players playing only in the UK as it used to be in the past. But in this regard, we are in pretty good shape today with and MNT pool that is quite diverse (i.e.: different leagues)and likely not dogmatic in terms of playing philosophies and practises.

Archived