England Euro 2004 squad...

littleD

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well, in general its true that Canadians don't know anything about football.

That isn't true, and this isn't a discussion board that Canadians "in general" posts to - people that come to post here are interested in football as the website name implies, and generally been watching/playing it all of their lives.

Canadians have lots of opportunities to watch British football - 3 EPL games a week (and unlike DirecTV in the U.S. - they are not PPV) plus any other competitions. Plus I watch a lot of Scottish football at various Pubs and some Spanish and Italian games. Most of my friends are Canadian born (like myself) and are very knowledgable as they support their clubs in England. Football fans are football fans all over the world - so saying a certain country has more knowledgable fans is a joke - England may have more of them but I wouldn't say they are more knowledgable.

Next thing the English will claim they invented the game - now THAT would be arrogant!!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That isn't true, and this isn't a discussion board that Canadians "in general" posts to - people that come to post here are interested in football as the website name implies, and generally been watching/playing it all of their lives.

I know, but "rodneyreams" stated that he just stumbled across this board b4 making his first post. If I only read this thread and not any others from this board, I'd arrive at the same conclusion as him. You have to admit, anyone saying Phillips would be a better choice than Rooney or Vassell is clearly not watching the 4 EPL games available in Canada every week, nor have they (**AND THIS IS THE KEY POINT**) watched any recent English NT games!

How can you not play rooney? He scores from anywhere. Pure class striker, Have him and owen togeather and you will be fine. The problem with Owen over the past few years has been his lack of a midfield at liverpool. Im sure I will get heckled for that one, but Stevie G cant do it all at liverpool.

Liverpools style became kick and chase long ball and basically they wanted it to be the Owen show. But it just cant work that way, they need to send nice through balls not giant hoofs up the field.

What England needs to do is have Stevie G and Lampard in the middle with Becks and Joe Cole on the wings. That will create alot of offence from the midfield and give space to the strikers up front. The main thing that scares me about England is there defence this year.

Terry NEEDS to be fit for england to challenge for the championship. I would like to see a back 4 of Cole, Campbell, Terry and Bridge .. and i guess James in the net.

There gonna have a tough time with the french, but there poofs so i take england to beat the french.

quote:Originally posted by fbsfc

Canadians have lots of opportunities to watch British football - 3 EPL games a week (and unlike DirecTV in the U.S. - they are not PPV) plus any other competitions. Plus I watch a lot of Scottish football at various Pubs and some Spanish and Italian games. Most of my friends are Canadian born (like myself) and are very knowledgable as they support their clubs in England. Football fans are football fans all over the world - so saying a certain country has more knowledgable fans is a joke - England may have more of them but I wouldn't say they are more knowledgable.

Next thing the English will claim they invented the game - now THAT would be arrogant!!

You brought up a key-point when mentioning how you follow several leagues around the World. That's a pretty common trait among most non-Mexican soccer fans who grew up in North America. But European soccer fans will spend 98% of their soccer-devoted part of their brain on one domestic league. In other words, on average, soccer fans living in England are way more knowledgeble about the EPL and English NT than people growing up on this side of the pond.

i sorta feel like I have to defend myself here but before I do that, I will come out and say that, although I love the board for giving me the opportunity to follow the mens national team, a whack of the posters are complete knobs who obviously have tiny willies and talk tough and insultingly from behind their keyboards. :(

Anyhoo, about me saying kevin phillips should have have gone to Euro 2004, I think you ought to look at the posts and maybe your dim little mind will see that the suggestion was pretty much tongue in cheek (hey, I'm talking tough from behind my keyboard!). I am a supporter of Saints and thus would love to see Southampton players in any kind of tournament.However, having said that, some of the argument made about why the other strikers should be preferred could also apply to Phillips or Beattie. For instance, the other strikers have poor midfield service. Um, Rory Delap at Saints is not the epitome of creativity.[:P]

Ultimately, regardless of the number of goals scored by BT over the last few years, Sven has had a look at him and clearly thinks his footballing skills are not up to snuff. And Phillips has had too many lean years. I GET THAT. It's just fun to talk about who should be in or out without man-hood challenged ****ers questioning your intelligence. [xx(]

As for Rodney being arrogant, I'm not so sure. The English definately have a different sense of humour than us North Americans. They like the whole "piss-taking" thing. They take as good as they give so there's no need to get uptight. [^]

And hey, has anyone considered the fact that one day maybe Spain might win a tournament? OK, now you can all start questioning how smart I am. [:o)]

Ouch.

Anyway, Terry will miss Sundays tilt as the ol' hamstring isn't 100% yet. Guess is he'll be fine from there on out though.

Sven'll go with Terry and Campbell when all is right in the world. Not exactly the most fleet footed and mobile fellows but they've already won the air war in Portugal without playing a match and boy are they going to get to bullie some foreighners. Should be fun.

As for Spain. If the Danes can snatch a Euro title...

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

And Phillips has had too many lean years. I GET THAT. It's just fun to talk about who should be in or out without man-hood challenged ****ers questioning your intelligence. [xx(]

As for Rodney being arrogant, I'm not so sure. The English definately have a different sense of humour than us North Americans. They like the whole "piss-taking" thing. They take as good as they give so there's no need to get uptight. [^]

Right. So if you get that, then what exactly is your beef? I mean, saying "Phillips should be there" and then getting responses like "no he should NOT", is not insulting anyone's intelligence. Unless you're upset with statement that Canadians don't watch alot of football. But how can you argue that? It's true, plain and simple. As Jerry Seinfeld would say, aren't we just getting a little over sensitive? You can tell me to my face that I don't watch or know much of the Irish second-division hurling league and I won't flip out on you, I promise! [:P]

English national team games are all televised via Setanta in pubs across Canada (amd in the USA too, I'm sure).

Phillips scored 30 goals once for Sunderland - not sure what happened to him after that but he's never been the same (maybe it was the big and small act he misses up front - never got over good ol' Niall Quinn retiring)! No harm in bringing up names for discussion as there are many questionable selections and it makes for good reading.

Just heard Terry will miss the French game so that wil hurt the English team.

All this nattering on about inconsequential things....here's an article that has an interesting cure for "La Maladie Anglaise":

[8D]

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1236261,00.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It's OK to smoke dope, England fans told

Paul Kelso in Lisbon

Friday June 11, 2004

The Guardian

Portuguese police officers will turn a blind eye to England supporters who openly smoke cannabis during Euro 2004, having decided that a stoned crowd is easier to control than a drunk one.

Lisbon police confirmed yesterday that England fans will not be arrested for puffing on joints on the streets of the Portuguese capital, following a recommendation from the Dutch authorities responsible for policing the English during Euro 2000.

Four years ago England's match in Eindhoven, ironically against Portugal, passed off peacefully as many supporters took advantage of the Netherlands' liberal drugs laws. By contrast the game against Germany in the Belgian town of Charleroi was marred by violence, much of it fuelled by alcohol.

Portugal has similarly relaxed legislation to the Dutch and the authorities hope it will help them police the 50,000 supporters expected to arrive in the country in the next few days.

Possession of small amounts of cannabis is not illegal in Portugal but, technically, consumption is. However, having liaised with the Dutch, police will not act except in extreme circumstances.

Isabel Canelas, a spokeswoman for the Portuguese police, said cannabis would be a low priority during the tournament. "Everyone knows that here everyone can smoke. The police are doing another kind of job and their priorities are different.

"We won't be hiding behind doors waiting for someone to smoke a joint. We have to use common sense. If people are smoking but not kicking each other, not beating each other, and not making a problem, why on earth would an officer go and ask 'Is that cannabis?'

"If you are quietly smoking and a police officer is 10 metres away, what's the big risk in your behaviour? I'm not going to tap you on the shoulder and ask 'What are you smoking?' if you are posing no menace to others. Our priority is alcohol.

"Of course, if people cause a problem through using drugs and become a menace to others, police will be expected to take action. It would be totally different when a police officer realises there's someone trying to sell."

Visitors to Lisbon do not have to try too hard to buy the drug. The city does not have "coffee shops" in the Dutch style, but tourists are likely to be offered cannabis by street vendors.

Organisers have not restricted the amount of alcohol on sale during the tournament despite the Football Association's concerns. Beer costs just 66p a glass and will be freely available around stadiums and at big screen locations.

Eindhoven police spokesman Johann Beelan said cannabis was a positive influence on public order at Euro 2000. "Cannabis ... was part of the conditions which meant everyone had a good time," he said.

British police estimated around 3,000 English supporters had arrived in Portugal by last night, but there have been no reports of disorder and no arrests.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

[

I know, but "rodneyreams" stated that he just stumbled across this board b4 making his first post. If I only read this thread and not any others from this board, I'd arrive at the same conclusion as him.

If I had only read this thread & not any others on the board, I wouldn't have jumped to any conclusions before making such a dismissive, and frankly, insulting comment as "Don't watch much football obviously". But that's just me.

Mr Gian Luca, my initial comment is implicated towards those slating Vassell (+shrek), as should be apparent if you read it in full.

My point is that anyone who knows the game, and who has watched England play over the past 24 months will know that Rooney and Vassell both perform well at international level. If you haven't noticed that, it is:

(a) because you haven't seen the games

(B) because you are a woman, and are just looking at the mens legs :P

© because you are a critically biased spurs fan who is in denial that Defoe didn't make the squad (or similar)

I have every right to make such comments. My penis is rather small you see.

PS: does Peschfan refer to Paul Peschisolido, ex blue nose who got Karen Brady up the duff? He was Canadian right?

quote:Originally posted by rodneyreams

Mr Gian Luca, my initial comment is implicated towards those slating Vassell (+shrek), as should be apparent if you read it in full.

And I have every right make mine. Doesn't mean we have to like them. Your intentions were apparent, as you say, but it doesn't really make a scrap of difference to my point.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to stumble upon some obscure English soccer discussion board to tell them they don't know anything about football because I have nothing better to do with my time......... [:P]

Archived