England Euro 2004 squad...

littleD

Keepers: David James, Paul Robinson, Ian Walker

Defenders: John Terry, Sol Campbell, Ledley King, Phil Neville, Gary

Neville, Ashley Cole, Wayne Bridge, Jamie Carragher

Midfielders: David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Kieron Dyer, Steven Gerrard, Owen

Hargreaves, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes, Joe Cole

Forwards: Emile Heskey, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Darius Vassell.

or Kevin Phillips for that matter.

Beattie recently stated that he thought he might be a good guy to have around if the team was forced to play more direct football (i.e. long ball) if they were down near the end of a game. I think that is right. Good in the air and a good finisher. 40 goals in the last two EPL seasons is a record that none of the guys going to Portugal can match.

Alas, Heskey is better in the eyes of Sven. That is bizarre as Heskey is a donkey.

LOL! Love the emoticon!

Yeah, why not Sewpa Kev? He has scored a bushel full in the last half of the year. And he DID win European golden boat a few years ago. Form is temporary (and he did suck the last couple of years) but he's back to himself, banging them in!

But I could be looking at thing through red and white tinted glasses! Anyhow, Vassell? HeeHaw! Heskey? HeeHaw! Owen? "Ohhh, there goes my hamstring and we're just 10 minutes into the tournament's first game!"

Hmmm...Vassell and Heskey, or Beattie and Phillips?

Beattie

Matches - 37

Goals - 14

Assists - 6

Shots - 96

Shots on Goal - 60

Yellow Cards - 3

Red Cards - 0

Phillips

Matches - 29

Goals - 13

Assists - 2

Shots - 87

Shots on Goal - 54

Yellow Cards - 2

Red Cards - 1

Heskey

Matches - 36

Goals - 7

Assists - 5

Shots - 56

Shots on Goal - 26

Yellow Cards - 1

Red Cards - 0

Vassell

Matches - 32

Goals - 9

Assists - 2

Shots - 43

Shots on Goal - 32

Yellow Cards - 0

Red Cards - 0

So Beattie and Phillips are still crap and you'd rather have the lump Heskey and Vassell? Not me.

I thought Sven was taking 5 strikers

No room for Smith, Defoe, Beattie, Phillips

at least one of these guys should be in there to cover for the donkeys. Heskey and Vassel should not be there and its questionable about Rooney, im stilll not convinced, he doesnt score that many goals,but we will see. We all know that 5th Striker spot would be filled by Alan Shearer in a heartbeat.

Anyone seriously think Rooney wasn't going? Sven's little pet project? Don't be so cynical. This summer could be Rooney's coming out party. And if it is, watch out for the Englanders.

Don't know why the fu'k he keeps selecting Heskey. No idea.

Owen. Hamstring. It would be funny if it wasn't so true. Did very well the last 10 matchs or so.

Think Lampard and Rooney are the keys though. If the defense holds.

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

I thought Sven was taking 5 strikers

No room for Smith, Defoe, Beattie, Phillips

at least one of these guys should be in there to cover for the donkeys. Heskey and Vassel should not be there and its questionable about Rooney, im stilll not convinced, he doesnt score that many goals,but we will see. We all know that 5th Striker spot would be filled by Alan Shearer in a heartbeat.

Rooney has played well for the National team though. That's probably what got him in there ahead of Defoe and Smith (Phillips is light-years away from being considered).

• 3 weeks later...

[?][?]

Are you guys all over in Canada then (I juststumbled across this board)? Don't watch much football obviously!

Rooney and Vassell are both served by lacklustre midfields at a club level, and hence don't score many club goals. And who gives a sh!t about club goals when you prove yourself on the international scene. OK Heskey is lame, doesn't do it for club or country. But Vassell has scored 6 times in 18 games for England with a "goals per minute played" better than any other striker. He is class, Englands version of Ole Gunnar. He has pace and scares defenders when he comes on in the 70th minute. He blatantly causes them problems.

Phillips has been tried at this level and couldn't hack it. I think that Smith will have a good shout once Fergie has his way with him, and no doubt he'll learn a lot from Ruud and co. Defoe is a god striker and think he will break into the team once these championships are over. As it stands he hasn't proved himself at this level (because he hasn't had the chance) so it's too much of a risk taking him.

Owen has been tosh since 98, but admittedly he is the kind of player that can create something from nothing, which you need when the rub of the green is against you.

As you say, stats speak for themselves. You just quoted irrelevant stats. Vassell and Rooney > Phillips and Beattie :P

And don't give me no bollox about scoring lucky goals off the inside of his thigh. Right place, right time - as a striker should be.

GL England, don't think we'll get far unless Becks sorts himeslf out. He's been out of sorts since leaving Man U. Gerrard alone won't save us [V]

RE: Are you guys all over in Canada then (I juststumbled across this board)? Don't watch much football obviously!

----------------------------------------------

Are you from the English press? Seems they pick England to win every tournament they enter....I sense that arrogance in the above statement.

GL France.....I'm sure you fear the likes of Vassell and Heskey coming at you! You'll need luck to break by a couple of Nevilles before putting the ball behind Calamity James!!!!

Easy Peasy!!!!

quote:Originally posted by fbsfc

RE: Are you guys all over in Canada then (I juststumbled across this board)? Don't watch much football obviously!

----------------------------------------------

Are you from the English press? Seems they pick England to win every tournament they enter....I sense that arrogance in the above statement.

GL France.....I'm sure you fear the likes of Vassell and Heskey coming at you! You'll need luck to break by a couple of Nevilles before putting the ball behind Calamity James!!!!

Easy Peasy!!!!

Well, the French defense does look pretty ordinary. I mean, I like Rio Ferdinand's chances against Saha more than I like Desailley's chances against Vassell. [:I]

I'm sure you know that Rio will be shooting himself up again instead of playing...

but look at the bright side - England have a built in excuse for losing (and won't be shy about losing it)!!

Well, whatever. Point is "rodneyreams" didn't say anything arrogant at all. The only thing he/she did was rate the English strikers saying some are better than others, while Phillips is pure crap. He/she is 100% accurate with their above post.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Point is "rodneyreams" didn't say anything arrogant at all.

The "you guys obviously don't watch much football" comment, simply because he happened to have different opinion about the English team, wasn't arrogant?

I think he insinuated that Canadians don't know anything about football. Sounds arrogant to me..

England have some nice midfield players but lack attacking help for Owen. The back four can be opened up and the goalkeeper is an accident waiting to happen. With luck they could squeeze out of their group before a meek exit.

I think he insinuated that Canadians don't know anything about football. Sounds arrogant to me..

Well, in general its true that Canadians don't know anything about football. And if you stumbled across a British hockey board where lots of Brits were writing how Tie Domi should be playing for Canada in the upcoming WC of Hockey, what would your conclusion be?? Of course, to be accurate he/she should have said "you guys obviously don't watch much BRITISH football.".

Glad to know I caused some contraversy. No, to be honest I assumed that whoever was posting here would be English most likely based on the other side of the pond. Not a dig at Canadians at all. I wouldn't have thought Canadians would care much for who we have in our squad...

And fbsfc what English press have you been reading? There's certainly a portion of patrioticness about the team going into any tournament, as you'd expect, but from what I've read no one is openly tipping us to win it. BBC and iTVs pundits have Italy and France as favourites, with England as an outside chance. The papers just tend to quote the bookies odds, although admittedly I haven't read the quality Sun or Mirror for a few weeks!

I took a look at Germany's squad and have hardly heard of any of them, so on that basis I'd tip them for the semis. They have a knack of putting out machine like teams that grind out results, much to Englands demise unfortunately.

We will miss Rio. I'm not a fan of big Sol. He scares me when he tries to do things in the penalty area, possible liability. GNeville and Cole are both impressing me at the moment, but you're right about James. He's a great shot stopper, but flaps at crosses. We've always had dodgy goalkeepers, and tbh Barthez is more of a liability, crazy man :P

If I were a betting man, I'd put a cheeky tenner on Scholes to score a goal this tourney...

Geezus, somebody's up early.

Funny, that. Knew EURO2004 was starting when on my way to work this morning I saw no less than three France blues worn by kids making their morning staggers off to the local high school.

Struck me as being a bit odd. Not exactly an immigrant neighbourhood. Not exactly a lot of french names on the roles either. Better interest in football than most other areas I'll guess, but France?

Kids. Go figure.

Archived