Smog Advisory for Toronto

Winnipeg Fury

Smog advisory remains in effect

Toronto  —  The province's Environment Ministry expanded a smog advisory eastward on Friday, adding Ottawa to the list of areas now affected by poor air quality.

* INDEPTH: The Story of Smog

The advisory, which was first issued Thursday, remains in effect for Toronto, and from Parry Sound in the north to Windsor in the south.

* ENVIRONMENT CANADA: Five-day weather forecast

Sun and wind conditions were expected to elevate ozone levels and allow a buildup of fine particulate in the air.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Smog advisory remains in effect

Toronto  —  The province's Environment Ministry expanded a smog advisory eastward on Friday, adding Ottawa to the list of areas now affected by poor air quality.

* INDEPTH: The Story of Smog

The advisory, which was first issued Thursday, remains in effect for Toronto, and from Parry Sound in the north to Windsor in the south.

* ENVIRONMENT CANADA: Five-day weather forecast

Sun and wind conditions were expected to elevate ozone levels and allow a buildup of fine particulate in the air.

There are many smog advisories in Toronto in any given summer in TO. Its defnitely a problem particularly two years ago. I suppose that what is interesting about this one is that its occuring in May. That is quite early in the year for this and one has to wonder what the rest of the summer will be like. IMO, the problems with this city are that too many people need to rely vehicles rather than public transit to get around. Many of the places where people need or wish to go, requires cars. I just wish that we had a subway system similar to Montreal that covers a greater area of the city, thus people can count on it to go to the places that the have to be. Problem is that TO transit is based largely on the Bus route system. People, including myself, hate taking busses. There are too many needless stops on bus routes, so people drive instead and the result is gridlock everwhere along with frustration, angst and road rage. And of course, more smog.

I live in Scarborough, and if i have to go to Soccer Centre in Vaughn or Centennial Park, i'd rather slit my throat than go by bus...There is no way i'd take transit to those places, i'd have to leave 3 hrs before a game..

Its a beautiful day today i'd rather walk but my car is nice and shiny and its got air conditioning so the bus or subway isnt' too enticing...

If they did have something like Montreal's system which is damn good then i'd think about it, but its still a lot longer to go from scarb to vaughn than from st denis to mont royal (just as an example)

quote:Originally posted by TorontoInferno

I

If they did have something like Montreal's system which is damn good then i'd think about it, but its still a lot longer to go from scarb to vaughn than from st denis to mont royal (just as an example)

I would have to concure entire. Those are my exact sentiments. Yet I found it odd watching a report on CBC several weeks ago that rated canadian cities in different areas with respect to quality of life. The report rated TO as having the best transit system in Canada. I don't think the metro got any mention. I just don't get it! Just who are these people conducting these studies since everyone I know who has lived in both cities have said the same thing( ie.: the prefer the Mtl transit system much more). Thankfully, I never have to take a bus to go to work therefore I have probably been on a bus maybe twice in the past 5 years. I have no major qualms about riding subways to work everyday but busses I avoid at all costs and will to drive instead.

I think that when analysed, people will judge a transit system based on the whole network and not individualy ( bus versus subway ). But the problem is that people prefer the subway by a large margin and the people who do the analysis must be those who never take public transit in the first place. Plus the bloody TTC is just two subway lines. and new third one that is useless and goes nowhere where people need to be. Every University and Cegep that I can think of in mtl is on a subway line. as are most major malls. Conversely lets compare the TTC to, say, the tube in London England; Simiarly but no ;where near as extensive, the Metro covers a wider area and stop in many places where people need to be or wish to go.

TO having the best transit system in Canada is a laugh! Forget about Montreal, its not even as good as Ottawa's. ... That being said, the way the city is built makes it virtually impossible to have a useful subway-system. So its unfair to compare to London's tube. [:I]

Archived