Poll Question

I should be able to get the Toronto Inferno games this year except for the home opener ironically held at the same time but on the other side of town as the Toronto Lynx "Girl Power" theme night. I don't think they're be any Inferno player's on hand to accept bouquets like last year.

I find it interesting that some attitudes towards the women's game and league are similar to the Euro snobs who buy Manchester United Jerseys and will never think of supporting any kind of Canadian Soccer.

This is exaclty what Canada's competition wants.

Imagine if we supported all of our W-League, PDL, Cpsl, and A League teams and encouraged all others to do likewise. However it is much cooler and easier to follow the cynics than to lead the crusade.

since I didn't respond to my own question and wanted to wait for about a week to see as many responses as possible.

My response is

1) No

2) -

3) -

The reason I asked was because I was curious to determine the level of support for womens pro soccer given the discussions surrounding the initiative of having Womens Voyageurs cup. Of the sixteen responses ( ie.: yes or no), only four ( 25%) responded affirmative. Of those four, two came accross as either not seriously attached to the clubs ( or game) on a fan level or responded with some feedback that questioned the level organization and professionism of the league. The reponses were exactly as I suspected with two of the sixteen indicating that they do support the game and plan to continue to do so.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

since I didn't respond to my own question and wanted to wait for about a week to see as many responses as possible.

My response is

1) No

2) -

3) -

The reason I asked was because I was curious to determine the level of support for womens pro soccer given the discussions surrounding the initiative of having Womens Voyageurs cup. Of the sixteen responses ( ie.: yes or no), only four ( 25%) responded affirmative. Of those four, two came accross as either not seriously attached to the clubs ( or game) on a fan level or responded with some feedback that questioned the level organization and professionism of the league. The reponses were exactly as I suspected with two of the sixteen indicating that they do support the game and plan to continue to do so.

I interpret the result of the poll this way:

Only fourteen members of this form are against women's soccer or do not live near a franchise.

I guess the only thing left to know is why you have not been out to support our teams and if your real point is to make sure no one else should either.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

I interpret the result of the poll this way:

Only fourteen members of this form are against women's soccer or do not live near a franchise.

I guess the only thing left to know is why you have not been out to support our teams and if your real point is to make sure no one else should either.

Where is it stated that these 14 members are against womens soccer? Nowhere. These people simply stated that they have not gone to see a womens game which indicates they are not interested. It doesn't mean they are "against" womens soccer. You can't force peoples interest in it, or be angry towads those that don't go.

Myself, I have attended a few womens games, all were doubleheaders with the mens Whitecaps. I don't attend the womens stand alon games because: A) The games are usually one sided affairs and there's nothing exciting about watching such lopsided games. B) It's a pain in the butt getting to the stadium I make the effort to go watch the pro team, but it's not worth my effort for the womens team. C) There's something you notice the first time you watch a doubleheader. There is very little "atmosphere" at the womens games. I attend the Whitecaps Mens games as much for the atmoshpere as for the game on the pitch. I like drinking, singing, chanting and yelling my head off with the guys at the games. A few southsiders tried that at a Whitecaps womens game a couple of years ago only to be told to sit down and be quiet from the fans of the womens team who obviously think that people don't make noise at soccer games. There was also an incident where the coach of the Portland Rain complained about the chants going on in the southside (though there was no cursing and the chants were "clean"). If the fans and the teams involved in the womens game want it to be a quiet church like atmosphere thats fine, I'll stay home.

Just a note that this years games for the Inferno will be at the Ontario Soccer Centre. The last 6 months, we've been getting indifferent responses from the Parks & Rec Dept in Toronto about availability of BS, so its a tough decision, as our whole history (for the most part) has been at Birchmount, but you have to move on... As a fan myself, I hate the decision, as i now have to drive across the city go get to the stadium instead of 5 minutes to BS, but we hope it won't be too much of a problem for our fans

So Jarrek, come to a couple games if you can make it :)

btw Jarrek, did you get my email??

If the poll was designed to guage the "real" interest in women's soccer vis a vis the Women's voyageur's cup, let me also point out that while I contributed to the men's voyageur cup, I have only attended one A-League game - the one held last year in Saskatoon. I will be making that two, maybe three this summer. But like the women's game I attend CIS, and also some Sasaktchewan Super League (no equivalent in Saskatchewan for the women).

I consider myself a Whitecaps fan, and follow the team from a distance. But that doesn't mean I have the opportunity to see them play live, nor does it mean that I think they play great soccer. And on the topic of CIS, the best "soccer" player I saw (allowing for physical difference between genders) - and by that I mean smartest, most skillful and most imaginative - was one Rosalyn Hicks of the UBC women's team.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Where is it stated that these 14 members are against womens soccer? Nowhere. These people simply stated that they have not gone to see a womens game which indicates they are not interested. It doesn't mean they are "against" womens soccer. You can't force peoples interest in it, or be angry towads those that don't go......................

If the fans and the teams involved in the womens game want it to be a quiet church like atmosphere thats fine, I'll stay home.

I do not have a problem if one does not want to support our women's teams, I am against people who trash it without having seen a game.

The marketing aspect is another issue that I'm more likey to agree with you.

However yesterday the Montreal-Toronto rivalry is re-born which brings back the Old Toronto-Laval memories. The last meeting 4 years ago was a war where many soccer fans would have loved to witness. Lots of crowd noise with many insults and cards issued. Toronto won in overtime. Toronto really had no chance yesterday due to a roster problem. The re-match in Toronto will be a do not miss affair.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

1)Have you ever attended a womens professional soccer (ie.:W-league or other) match in Canada?

2)If yes, roughly how many games have you attended per year or in total?

3) optional....Which teams were playing.

1) Yes

2) 7+

3) The Whitecaps Women/Breakers and whoever they played against.

I support both the Whitecaps Men's and Women's teams. I attend every game every year for both teams. I am even planning a trip to Alberta to see the teams play in Calgary and Edmonton next month.

Archived