Girard & Simpson sign with PDL Boulder Rapids

beachesl

Realm and Mad Cap Mac on the old forum have reported that "University of Denver's Liam Girard and University of Portland"s Josh Simpson have once again teamed up, signing with the PDL team Boulder Rapids, the reserve team for the MLS Colorado Rapids."

Apparently, "Girard has two more years at Denver and Simpson one more for sure, possibly two, due to the time he has been away". Playing for the A-League or CPSL would mean they would lose their NCAA status.

Rocky Mountain high[8D].....

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

PDL???? wasnt simpson getting intrest fromn euro teams after the wyc??? as long as hes affiliated wiht the rapids, its not soo bad tho

I think that it has to do with maintaining NCAA eligibility. Players can play in the PDL and not lose their NCAA eligibility ( ie.: scolarships) whereas they cannot in the a-league and probably not in europe either because there would be compensation paid for their services. Playing in the PDL allows them to play year round and in a "somewhat Pro" setting.

I would hardly call the 3 month PDL season combined with the NCAA 'year round' but otherwise you are correct. I guess I am wondering why Boulder when Abbotsford is a lot closer to home and the old boys network.

I think the PDL could be a useful tool for areas of Canada if we can exploit it. An southern Ontario division comprising of 5-6 cities (like Kingston, London, Windsor, etc.) could provide a high quality of play if the right players could be attracted. These players would come from the NCAA, CIS, national youth teams and local amateurs.

With all its problems (like paying players) I'm not convinced the CPSL is the way to go and if it were replaced by the PDL in Ontario, I would not mind at all. Of course, it might take some time to find owners with the will to support the PDL franchises. But it could happen.

boulder over abby for two reasons i'm sure...

a) boulder is affiliated with colorado in mls

B) abbotsford rangers stink. the old boys club is the exact reason to avoid that club. however, with a few tweeks and riddings of a few powers-that-be abby could become model and become the whitecaps reserves if not a-league themselves.

Given that the level of play in the PDL is not significantly above that of the Pacific Coast Soccer League abbotford would not ever be in the running.

Josh would, I like to think, come back to play for Victoria United if he wanted to play in BC. The key to his decision, in my personal opinion, is the connection to the MLS team and the opportunity to work with the top level of soccer available.

I think for both Liam and Josh it is a matter of getting time with a PDL team on the resume. It seems to be a major point for most of the players drafted and highly regarded by MLS that they played with a PDL team. Plus, why not take advantage of the setup that the PDL provides and the knowledge that playing there won't affect eligibility (not that the PCSL does, but other leagues may).

BTW Ted, both Liam and Josh played for Vic Utd. in the past correct?

quote:Originally posted by ray

I think the PDL could be a useful tool for areas of Canada if we can exploit it. An southern Ontario division comprising of 5-6 cities (like Kingston, London, Windsor, etc.) could provide a high quality of play if the right players could be attracted. These players would come from the NCAA, CIS, national youth teams and local amateurs.

How about one Ontario PDL team for starters? I'm sure one could compose a good club with NCAA scholarship players from the region. Add in a few players from the area playing CIS and other guys looking for a chance to play against talented players their age (opposed to the veterans in CPSL) and you have a good club.

On the same topic, if the Impact is mandated to help develop Quebec soccer, why don't they have a PDL side? Last year they had to send Oliveri to Vermont's PDL club. Occean also played in Vermont in the past.

Jason

Great point Jason.

It looks like the Lynx and Whitecaps are implementing youth systems but I do not think the Mustangs, Avs or (surprisingly) Impact are doing so.

At least, not to my knowledge.

I would hope the Lynx and Caps are building youth systems to have their reserves play PDL eventually. I imagine the others are in need of more funds due to greater travel costs prior to developing teams.

Again, surprised the Impact aren't fielding a PDL team as yet.

Or, perhaps both the Lynx and Impact intend to use the CPSL as their "PDL"?

quote:Originally posted by WildboutCdnScr

BTW Ted, both Liam and Josh played for Vic Utd. in the past correct?

Yep, they were both standout players and Josh was our leading scorer in his last season with United.

I have to say that not only their play but their attitudes make them outstanding players and I hope they do well.

quote:Originally posted by Jason

How about one Ontario PDL team for starters? I'm sure one could compose a good club with NCAA scholarship players from the region. Add in a few players from the area playing CIS and other guys looking for a chance to play against talented players their age (opposed to the veterans in CPSL) and you have a good club.

On the same topic, if the Impact is mandated to help develop Quebec soccer, why don't they have a PDL side? Last year they had to send Oliveri to Vermont's PDL club. Occean also played in Vermont in the past.

Jason

It could happen soon. A few people on this board have indicated that the Ottawa Fury could add a PDL team in the next year or two. I hope they will do as you suggest and pick up amateur players from all over Ontario or Canada and not just Eastern Ontario.

Fury will have a 2005 PDL team. Why?

The OSA has mandated that all Super Y league teams based in Ontario have to run a "pro" club. The Fury girl's program has the W-league and the boys are supposed to get a PDL team in 2005. If they Fury do not produce a PDL or A-league team then they'd lose their 5 boys SYL teams.

Interesting..but the Lynx tried to start a SYL program for girls and were shot down by the OSA based on the fact that had no W-league team in the fold. Could the Lynx but the Inferno based on that?

I hope so.

The Inferno were not allowed SYL teams for some reason...They have tried a couple times, but have been also shot down by the OSA. I'm not intimate of the details, but i know its not an isolated thing among the ontario wleague teams (excepting the fury)

i'll try to find out more if i can...

Congrats to Josh Simpson as he makes the USL's PDL Team of the Week for his 2-goal performance against Sioux Falls this past weekend.

Congrats to Josh Simpson as he makes the USL's PDL Team of the Week for his 2-goal performance against Sioux Falls this past weekend.

Archived