Canadian boards vs. American

Okay so a lot of fans are major league A-holes who bring up the smallest of crap and blow it out of proportion. But still why aren't ya just ignoring those B-a-s-t-a-r-d-s and keep plugging away for your club? Especially with the A-league. The greatest aspect of the league is the fact that we span three countries (depending on where you stand with Puerto Rico). But still I minimul to no participation from fans of soccer with A-league teams on the USL and Bigsoccer boards. Is there a reason? And really go ahead and give me your all. I'm not gonna stop loving my neighbor to the north. Frost never understood what it meant to be a good neighbor. FENCES AND WALLS DON'T MAKE FOR GOOD NEIGHBORS.

Can't wait to hear some opinions

quote:Originally posted by MmattN

Okay so a lot of fans are major league A-holes who bring up the smallest of crap and blow it out of proportion. But still why aren't ya just ignoring those B-a-s-t-a-r-d-s and keep plugging away for your club? Especially with the A-league. The greatest aspect of the league is the fact that we span three countries (depending on where you stand with Puerto Rico). But still I minimul to no participation from fans of soccer with A-league teams on the USL and Bigsoccer boards. Is there a reason? And really go ahead and give me your all. I'm not gonna stop loving my neighbor to the north. Frost never understood what it meant to be a good neighbor. FENCES AND WALLS DON'T MAKE FOR GOOD NEIGHBORS.

My reason is quite simple and it has nothing to do with fences, walls and not being neighborly. Its has everything to do with time, convenience, familiarity and comfort level. I started posting on Network 54 of the voyageurs forum and over time others such as this one have sprung up and even the Toronto Ultras forum. I have always been tempted to sign up on many that you have mentioned ( especially Bigsoccer and A-league soccer). I have no doubt that there are some interesting discussions on those forums but have you ever wondered how much time you can take up in a day going from forum to forum? reading and posting messages. Besides, I tend to type very slowly as it is. I am sure that those forums are fun and interesting but they take up alot of time within a typically busy day but I have found that, over time, you stop surfing from site to site and concentrate on a very select few and I tend to form habits when going on-line.

Even though I have signed up to post on the Ultras forum I tend to forget to go there and its nothing against forum and those posters and so forth. I am used to coming to this site every day and its as simple as that. In fact I was one of the more resistent ones to moving over here from Network 54. If I were to spend entire afternoons or evening going to every interesting discussion forum, then I would have to start seriously questioning my priorities and wonder what I am neglecting.

Those are my reasons.

quote:Originally posted by MmattN

Matthew, right?

Good parody;) of the typical yank poster (those that post here excepted of course)! There are some really bad posts on those sites, totally insulting, especially in the Rivalries and the Politics sections.

Doesn't take long to post on those other boards. Once you're registered it's as simple as logging on, taking a quick read and quickly replying. It's not exactly labour intensive.

But one can sure get in trouble. Heh, like that guy from Charlotte whos coming to Vancouver in july to beat me up!

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

I was under the impression that sites such as this one is here to promote Canadian soccer. It is also here to focus on Canadian local issues of which will never make headlines on BigSoccer.

Actually this section of the board is dedicated to Canadian clubs. Our pro teams play in the USL A-league. BigSoccer has a USL section where people talk A-League. USL Discussion is also mostly A-League content (as you know you post there under your other name). It only makes sense to visit those sections and discuss A-League topics, sharing a Canadian perpective.

Guest Jeffery S.

I post on Big Soccer on Barça alone, except when a Canadian angle comes up in an MLS forum, or something odd happens unrelated to Canada like China playing a friendly in Spain, Columbus Crew in pre-season in Catalonia (I watched their friendly last month vs. Barça's B team, fun morning game), etc.

Must say that the Barça forum is good, few posters but knowledgable and some excellent detailed stuff on signings, each game, tactics. So Big Soccer has its merits, and some threads can be quite entertaining.

Personally, I had to draw the line as to the number of boards that I could visit.

Having the Mustangs Alley board, the Mustangs' board on USLDiscussions, this one and the old Voyageurs board, along with the occasional visit to the enemies' camp, means that I don't have much time for Big Soccer.

I think the main difference is that a number of Supporters Groups in the US use USLDiscussions as their primary forum, while those of us in Canada have our own forums.

Fans of Atlanta, Charleston, Richmond, Milwaukee, and Virginia Beach are on USLDiscussions all the time, because that's where their main forums are. However, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal all have their own forums, so they don't visit USLDiscussions or Big Soccer nearly as much.

The USL forum is essentially a backup forum for the Mustangs Supporters, if the main forum ever goes down.

That's my two cents (about half-a-cent US).

I specifically bookmark the USL section on bigsoccer. That way I bypass all that I'm not interested in (99% of all topics) and focus on the A-League. It's pretty interesting, with Kenn Tomasch keeping a running track of attendance and others providing links to match reports of every game.

Not enough Canadian content. If you are a Canadian soccer fan, this is where all the information is located.

I seriously doubt an American fan can inform me of anything to do with Canadian Eh-League franchises & it's players, Canadians in Europe, or our national team, that I can't find here.

I frankly couldn't care what happens to American A-league clubs any more than they care about Canadian Eh-League clubs.

It's a complete waste of time and an annoyance.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Not enough Canadian content. If you are a Canadian soccer fan, this is where all the information is located.

I seriously doubt an American fan can inform me of anything to do with Canadian Eh-League franchises & it's players, Canadians in Europe, or our national team, that I can't find here.

I frankly couldn't care what happens to American A-league clubs any more than they care about Canadian Eh-League clubs.

It's a complete waste of time and an annoyance.

Well then you aren't really an A-league fan then are you? I know you don't ahave your own team to support so ti's understandable but as a fan and follower of a team, talking to other fans about their teams and situations is quite interesting.

Not to piss on anybodys parade but you are hardly going to find as much information on the A-League on this site (which is after all more dedicated to the national team) than on those boards dedicated to the A-League.

Quite frankly that kind of thinking is more of an American view on the world (I'll care about my country and screw anybody elses opinion).

And American fans do care about Canadian clubs, as we are their rivals.

Actually, the The American Heritage® Book of English Usage.

A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English,1996, says

that either is fine, it's a matter of style....

"I could care less! you might say sometime in disgust. You might just as easily have said I couldn’t care less and meant the same thing! How can this be? When taken literally, the phrase I could care less means “I care more than I might,” rather than “I don’t care at all.” But the beauty of sarcasm is that it can turn meanings on their head, thus allowing could care less to work as an equivalent for couldn’t care less. Because of its sarcasm, could care less is more informal than its negative counterpart and may be open to misinterpretation when used in writing.

The phrases cannot but and can but present a similar case of a positive and a negative meaning the same thing."

http//www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html

see also: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-821.html

You are right that some of the more picky people, like transcribers, tend to say that "couldn't care less" is correct because "could care less" seems to be a modern version of the expression that arose in the US in the late 1960's. I have been aghast at the new expression myself, though it seems prevalent among the X-generation, but having consulted numerous knowledgeable linguists and grammaticists, I have determined that either is porper if they are used, because they are both in the realm of cliches. One cliche is not really better than another.

"Couldn't care less" was an expression developed by the upper-class English during the WWII, as a cliche, but was never acceptable as

academic English. The US servicemen borrowed the cliche, and took it back to the states, where it started to "morph" into the "could care less in the baby-boom generation short-form. So, why is one cliche acceptable, but another not just because one has developed later?

However, there are similiar examples where completely different logical structures have been acceptable for hundreds of years as meaning the same thing in both academic English and great literatue, such as the expressions "I cannot but be gratified" and "I can but be gratified".

http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-818.html

http://bartleby.school.aol.com/64/C001/019.html#CANNOT

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Actually, the The American Heritage® Book of English Usage.

A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English,1996, says

that either is fine, it's a matter of style....

"I could care less! you might say sometime in disgust. You might just as easily have said I couldn’t care less and meant the same thing! How can this be? When taken literally, the phrase I could care less means “I care more than I might,” rather than “I don’t care at all.” But the beauty of sarcasm is that it can turn meanings on their head, thus allowing could care less to work as an equivalent for couldn’t care less. Because of its sarcasm, could care less is more informal than its negative counterpart and may be open to misinterpretation when used in writing.

The phrases cannot but and can but present a similar case of a positive and a negative meaning the same thing."

http//www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html

see also: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-821.html

Hey , kewl , now find me a link to grammar usage .

Help me improve my punctuation . Mrs. Canning in grade 9 , couldn't make , what we used to call English B , sink in .:(

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Why so hostile? I certainly wasn't being hostile.

By the way the correct phrase is "couldn't" care less.

Rather presumptuous of you to say that I'm not a fan of the A-League ). Why can't I be a fan of the A-league ? Who says I don't have a team to follow ? The fact that Winnipeg no longer has a team certainly does not mean that I can't be a fan of the Eh-League.

I have followed and been a fan of the A-League, APSL and CSL.

I have been to the A-league site numerous times and frankly don't like it for the reasons I have stated. That doesn't mean that I'm not a fan or that I don't follow a team. It simply means that the focus of my attention is the Canadian clubs and players.

Well I'll be... I actually posted something. Thanks for all the feedback. A heck of a lot of obvious reasons. On the subject of team forums though, do fans from the Canadian team forums come to this site to mingle and share? Or would I probably be better off hunting up all the fan forums to find out info on the teams? Either way thanks again for the feedback, I guess I'll see ya throughout the season on this board.

oh yeah beachesl, Tis I matthew.

Archived