New era is here for Rhinos in the nets

L.T.

New era is here for Rhinos in the nets

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/rhinos/04290N430D9_sports.shtml

Old standbys gone, replaced by the veteran Zagar, Johnson

By JEFF DiVERONICA

STAFF WRITER

(April 29, 2004) — IRONDEQUOIT — For the past eight seasons, three different players occupied the No. 1 goalkeeper spot for the Rochester Rhinos: Billy Andracki, Pat Onstad and Scott Vallow.

They each starred during different seasons. They battled each other for the top job. They left for other opportunities. They came back.

But now Andracki, Onstad and Vallow are names of the past.

Either newcomer Theo Zagar, 29, or second-year pro Soren Johnson, 22, will be the man on the goal line in Saturday night’s season opener at Frontier Field against the Toronto Lynx.

Although coach Pat Ercoli hasn’t named a starter, chances are it will be Zagar, the former two-time Toronto MVP who spent his first six pro seasons playing for his hometown team. The Rhinos didn’t sign him in January to sit him, and when management told Andracki, 34, it would rather develop a youngster such as Johnson as backup, that effectively ended Andracki’s eight-year affiliation with the club. Johnson went 1-0-1 last year for Rochester.

Andracki is not playing soccer this season. Onstad (San Jose), 36, and Vallow (Colorado), 26, are in Major League Soccer.

”You always want to stay home and play in front of your home crowd, but the (Toronto) owner and I didn’t see eye to eye and I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to talk to Rochester,” said Zagar, who stoned the Rhinos several times in going 44-54-16 (30 shutouts) with a Toronto team that usually had a tight player payroll.

”This is a step to better myself. You always want to strive to play for contenders, and at this point in my career I want to go out and get something. I want to win.”

Ercoli said the Rhinos actually tried to lure Zagar from the Lynx last spring after Onstad’s abrupt departure to San Jose, where he went on to lead the Earthquakes to the MLS title and win MLS Goalkeeper of the Year honors. But even financially strapped Toronto, which had its players endure a 20-hour bus ride last year for a match in Atlanta rather than fly, wouldn’t trade its team captain.

The Lynx have had a makeover, though, including a new coach, so Zagar thought it was time for him to fly.

”It had crossed my mind before,” the University of Toronto graduate — with a physical education degree — said about coming to the Rhinos. “Rochester is such a class organization, a very good city. (Fans here) love their soccer. We did well in Toronto, but we never made the jump. I can’t say (ownership was) as serious there about winning.”

Zagar and Johnson are both 6-feet-3, about 200 pounds and are good in the air on crosses. Zagar has the obvious edge in experience and also has better footwork. Ercoli said Zagar is a solid “shot-stopper,” while Johnson’s hands are improving.

”Soren has made big growth over the last year,” Ercoli said.

Johnson spent a month of the off-season training with a team in Chile. He saw how skilled and possession-oriented players are and said he feels a lot more comfortable and confident here than he was a year ago. Teammates have said he and Zagar have played pretty evenly in training camp. The Rhinos allowed only one goal, a penalty kick, in a 5-0-1 preseason.

”I think I’ll see time this year, I expect to,” said Johnson, the former Davidson College standout. “The best guy is going to play, though, so I’ve just got to be the best guy.”

Zagar wasn’t deemed that in Toronto until 2000. He had split time as starter in 1998 and ‘99, but Jim Larkin’s late arrival because of the indoor soccer season gave Zagar the reins early in 2000. He seized control, stunning the Rhinos 2-1 in Rochester’s season opener. Zagar would be named a second-team A-League All-Star that year and the Lynx nearly knocked off Rochester in the Eastern finals.

Zagar, whose wife, Sofi, is a school teacher in Toronto, made a point not to knock his former Lynx teammates, but he said the caliber of defenders in Rochester — John Wilson, Craig Demmin, David Wright and Bill Sedgewick — should “make it really tough for an opponent to get through.”

And if they do? “He has shown the ability to beat teams on his own,” Ercoli said.

The coach said he’ll evaluate his starter on a game-to-game basis. Zagar, who said he is excited to hear fans at Frontier Field finally cheer, rather than heckle him, is putting pressure on himself to perform well.

”I always do that. It’s what gets me going,” he said. “I hope to get the call Saturday and that (Ercoli) classifies me as No. 1. But I guess (not naming a starter) keeps me sharp. There’s not that comfortable feeling. You know if you don’t play well, in this city it kind of magnifies, and you’ll be sitting on the bench. I just hope I can contribute and help bring a championship back to Rochester.”

quote:But even financially strapped Toronto, which had its players endure a 20-hour bus ride last year for a match in Atlanta rather than fly

What the hell is that all about? Can you imagine what kind of shape the players were in upon arriving [xx(]?

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

What the hell is that all about? Can you imagine what kind of shape the players were in upon arriving [xx(]?

Can you imagine the morale of the players knowing that the team would rather spend money on cheerleaders and theme nights rather than their players welfare?

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Can you imagine the morale of the players knowing that the team would rather spend money on cheerleaders and theme nights rather than their players welfare?

Forget the players. Can you imagine the moral of the fans?

I can :(

Archived