Ben Knight - Canadian Pro Soccer Update

Keep in mind that there was twice the Canuck teams in the CSL than there are in the A-League. I wouldn't say the A-league games are any better than the CSL games. CSL clubs like Vancouver, Hamilton Steelers, Torontro Blizzard could easily compete with the big boys of the A-League.

Winnipeg's 1992 championship team was also stacked with many players that went on to Europe, and could easily compete in the A-League.

The A-league doesn't seem to have the rivalries between clubs that the CSL had.

I'm hoping the 5 Canuck A-league clubs survive and eventually lead to a revived Canadian League

Keep in mind that there was twice the Canuck teams in the CSL than there are in the A-League. I wouldn't say the A-league games are any better than the CSL games. CSL clubs like Vancouver, Hamilton Steelers, Torontro Blizzard could easily compete with the big boys of the A-League.

Winnipeg's 1992 championship team was also stacked with many players that went on to Europe, and could easily compete in the A-League.

The A-league doesn't seem to have the rivalries between clubs that the CSL had.

I'm hoping the 5 Canuck A-league clubs survive and eventually lead to a revived Canadian League

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I'd argue this point. At one point when I was pushing for a new CSL I used to point out that the CSL is as good as the A-League. Others I was talking to argued that the play in the A-League is far superior. I must have been remembering the CSL with rose coloured glasses on because I've since watched many CSL games on videotape, and those I were talking to were right. The A-League is far superior in play. I'm not saying that certain powerhouse CSL teams wouldn't match up with the big boys of the A-League, but in overall play and skill the A-League is superior.

Which isn't to say that a future CSL wouldn't be far greater skill wise and otherwise than the past CSL.

No doubt clubs like the Ottawa Intrepid, London Lasers, etc, would be inferior, but as I pointed out the powerful CSL clubs would more than handle their own against A-League clubs.

Keep in mind that the Canadian talent to this point has only been spread through 4 A-league teams as opposed to the past 8-10 CSL teams.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Keep in mind that the Canadian talent to this point has only been spread through 4 A-league teams as opposed to the past 8-10 CSL teams.

Not to mention increased total population in Canada, more people playing soccer, more talented soccer playing immigrants living here. There's simply more talent to choose from nowadays.

quote:No doubt clubs like the Ottawa Intrepid, London Lasers, etc, would be inferior

I endured the Ottawa Intrepid in 1990 (their last season) and it was not pretty to watch. I attended four games in which the Intrepid scored a grand total of.....one goal(on a penalty!). Playing on the concrete-like turf at Landsdowne was brutal, the ball would bounce all over the place. Here are the scores of the 4 games I attended:

Kitchener Spirit 0 Ottawa Intrepid 0 (Landsdowne)

Toronto Blizzard 1 Ottawa Intrepid 1 (Landsdowne)

Vancouver 86ers 2 Ottawa Intrepid 0 (Landsdowne)

Montreal Supra 0 Ottawa Intrepid 0 (Terry Fox field)

The Vancouver game was exciting(very good players on that team) but the others were pretty dull with very little attack and a lot of running around chasing the ball. The A-league is definitely of higher calibre than the CSL.

Yes, well the Intrepid were crap, weren't they (great name though).

The CSL at it's peak had more than double (triple ?) the Canadian teams of the A-league, so obviously the talent was more thinly spread.

I would also have to agree (K-head) that there is generally more talent across the country now than there was 10-15 years ago.

For anyone following this thread I've posted my idea for a national open cup under a new topic titled "My open cup idea. Thoughts?" in this area of the boards. My plan, as mentioned in the post, ties into a long term plan for a three stage development of a national Div.1 league. If you're interested in following that angle of this thread you should check out the new topic.

Mike.

Grizzly you mentioned belgium as one of the 2nd tier leagues thats comparable to a-league. Well her ein Mons, the 1st div club (just moved up from 2nd 2 years ago) only attracts about 6-7000 fans per game. Thats comparable to Vancouver or Montreal of the a-league. i think a number of a-league teams can defniently be compareable also in talent or skill to euro leagues

Archived