News from England

batch

According to one of the Sunday papers over here, the Canadian keeper at Port Talbot Town - Rayner - is set to have a trial with Newcastle United.

And it seems that we (Wigan) offered De Vos a new contract (he's out of contract in summer) but that offer has apparantly now been withdrawn. Well thats according to a couple of our players who were out on the town last night.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Did they elaborate as to why it was withdrawn?

Nope. De Vos has been going through a tough spell recently though. He gets caught for pace quite a bit, he needs to improve on his positioning a bit in order to compensate for the lack of pace.

He can still do a job for us and i still expect him to be at the club next season.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Did they elaborate as to why it was withdrawn?

Nope. De Vos has been going through a tough spell recently though. He gets caught for pace quite a bit, he needs to improve on his positioning a bit in order to compensate for the lack of pace.

He can still do a job for us and i still expect him to be at the club next season.

Boy, emotional rollercoaster on this one. Great news about Rayner. However, more adversity on our NT players.

I mean its great that Norwich and Plymouth have been promoted, and Wigan and QPR remain in contention. But, because of injury, Brennan and Bent have not been influential in promotion, then there are rumours Bent may be on the outs with Plymouth. Now Devos is struggling and Wigan withdrew their contract offer?

From sky sports

MAGPIES TRIAL CANADIAN KEEPER

Sunday 25th April 2004

Newcastle United have handed a trial to goalkeeper Simon Rayner from League of Wales side Port Talbot Town.

The tall 20-year-old has represented Canada at youth international and Olympic Under-23 level and was recently with fellow League of Wales side Barry Town before moving to Port Talbot.

Rayner first joined Second Division club Bournemouth before being released by The Cherries in February 2002 after failing to make a breakthrough at Dean Court.

Last August, Rayner had an unsuccessful trial with Swansea City, but he has recently been linked with a move to First Division club Millwall.

The young custodian will now try his luck to impress The Magpies and earn a deal on Tyneside with Sir Bobby Robson's outfit.

Re; JDV

Sounds like a common worry:(

How much of that positioning is a result of questionable partnerships? What I mean to say is he taking the flak for trying to cover others? Over-extending himself. Eh?

And since we see nothing of the man out this way the question has to arise dose he got the throttle for the EPL should Wigan go into (and throught) the playoffs?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Re; JDV

Sounds like a common worry:(

How much of that positioning is a result of questionable partnerships? What I mean to say is he taking the flak for trying to cover others? Over-extending himself. Eh?

And since we see nothing of the man out this way the question has to arise dose he got the throttle for the EPL should Wigan go into (and throught) the playoffs?

I wouldn’t put the positioning down to others. On the contrary it is others that have been rescuing him from sticky situations on quite a few occasions. It is arguable that our best centre-back pairing (De Vos and Jackson) isn’t currently being used as Jackson is out injured but Brekin who is currently partnering JDV is an excellent replacement who has used his pace to rescue De Vos on quite a few occasions.

It’s also got to be remembered that De Vos was out for a while after breaking his foot in the first game of the season. He should be up to full speed now though but something doesn’t seem quite right.

I do still think he could do a job in the Premiership IF he improved his positioning – although our chairman has claimed he will spend £30+ million if we get promoted so if De Vos did get replaced or not would be down to our manager Paul Jewell.

Archived