Lynx changes to this weekend practice and games...

Open Practice

Please note that due to field conditions, this weekend's Open Practice on Saturday April 24th, will be held at the Downsview Hangar-indoor facility.

Revised Agenda:

10:00 team to train

11:00 fans to arrive

Greet & Meet

Television viewing of Puerto Rico versus Lynx match of April 17th!

12:00 exhibition match versus Toronto Futsal Palace All Stars

1:00 Barbecue just outside the main building-hosted by the Toronto Lynx Supporters Club

Lynx versus Brampton Hitmen Exhibition match on April 25th

The Toronto Lynx management regrets to inform soccer fans that this exhibition match which was announced yesterday has been cancelled by the CPSL league office. While the Brampton Hitmen management agreed in writing to the Toronto Lynx to take part in the exhibition match back in January, after several months of planning, the Lynx have learned that the CPSL office has denied approval. We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused our fans.

For more information call

Dave Nutt

Public Relations

416-251-4625 ext. 30

That's preposterous. If Canada had a real soccer association, like most countries do, they would wade into this situation and force changes. CSA, which has a mighty mandate under FIFA, will probably just sit on its hands planning weeks-late press-releases on matters we already know about. Too bad Andy Sharpe didn't have administrative authourity, he calls a spade a spade (like when he called the WNT's tactics at the olympic qualifying unacceptable on Soccertalk Radio). Pipe, meanwhile, just blathers on unawares.

This IS the responsibility of the CSA to straighten out immediately.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Maybe the CPSL doesn't want it's product lessened by a loss to the Lynx?

I doubt that's it. After all, the CPSL wants A-League teams in their Open Cup. Plus they've played such friendlies in the past.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

This IS the responsibility of the CSA to straighten out immediately.

But wouldn't the Lynx have to request them to do so? I wouldn't put anything on the CSA's shoulders until the Lynx ask them for help. And something tells me the Lynx won't bother.

No, you are right, the Lynx won't bother. But, if soccer is to become a serious endeavour in this country the CSA has to become proactive.

The FA in England would not wait for a complaint to respond to club behaviour that is detrimental to the game.

The CPSL is under the authourity of the CSA, and shenanigans like the "Open Cup" fiasco last year is the CSA responsibilty, whether they decide to act on it or not.

One of the reasons that FIFA are not keen on transboundary leagues (like the proposed Alpine League combination of top clubs in Switzerland and Austria, or possibly MLS expansion into Canada) is that they want the national associations to have full unimpeded power to deal thoroughly with league and other internal competitions.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

The CPSL is under the authourity of the CSA, and shenanigans like the "Open Cup" fiasco last year is the CSA responsibilty, whether they decide to act on it or not.

i believe this is incorrect ... the CPSL is governed by the OSA ... the league is canadian in name only ... the league is professional in name only ...

Toronto Lynx will play the CPSL Brampton Hitmen Sunday April 25th but at 4:00pm at The Ontario Soccer Centre (Martin Grove north of Steeles Ave W). They will use the outdoor field turf.

Today at The Hangar (Downsview Airport) in North York the team held a practice and replayed a tape of last week’s 1-0 overtime win in Puerto Rico. That lone goal looked like it was kicked in by a defender who appeared to not even try to lift it over the net or kick it wide. If he’d have missed it a Lynx player was ready for a two yard tap-in. Coach Duncan Wilde said the Islanders will beat a few teams at home later this year but expects the Montreal Impact should win this weekend.

At about noon, the team played a 6 on 6 match on half field/half sized nets/no throw-ins rules, against Toronto Futsal Palace All Stars. Lynx scored three goals in the second half in

a 3-1 win. Tryout player Darren Baxter from England scored the first two; one on a 10 yard blast to the top left corner and the other pinballed off two defenders a few minutes later. Jamie Dodds scored on a shot from 7 yards. The All Stars got a late goal past Bryheem Hancock on a scissor kick. Players were rotated in quite often by the Lynx while the All Stars had about nine players. Adrian Serioux looked the best player for the Lynx today and also on the Puerto Rico game video for the part I watched. About eight Lynx players just watched in the stands.

The Lynx cut Scottish player Chris O’Neil on Monday. They are trying out English Darren Baxter and also had John Valentine into today’s game.

The Lynx have already played Brampton Hitmen within the last two weeks and beat them 8-0. Lynx had only twelve players while the Hitmen had twenty-two at their selection tryout. Lynx have had a four week head start on training. Hitmen should be getting better and I’ll judge them for myself tomorrow.

All kinds of rumours about why the game was cancelled/reinstated were flying around. Some of them: Hitmen didn’t want to be embarrassed (or the CPSL didn’t want to be embarrassed by another blow-out). Let the CPSL take the heat for the team. Victoria Park in Brampton wasn’t available. Let’s call this game just a ‘scrimmage’ instead. They don’t want anyone to go HOWEVER today they did want people to turn up and except for Alfonse Reubens (Inside Soccer), Saul Markowitz (Nuke Soccer) and myself, the only fans were those who were passing through on their way for soccer, beach volleyball, or baseball tryouts. (The Hangar’s new management is supposedly encouraging non-soccer activities). The pizza and pop ended up being given away to the players and us. The kiddies’ blow-up castle couldn’t be inflated because there was no generator pump.

So tomorrow then! Remember it’s not an official game so the password (from the Monty Python or Cheech & Chong bit or even one of mine) is “I hear the gooseberries are in season…and so are the mangos (nudge, nudge)” or “Dave’s not here man” or “Don’t you think the new leader of Spain looks like Mr Bean?”

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:All kinds of rumours about why the game was cancelled/reinstated were flying around.Some of them: Hitmen didn’t want to be embarrassed (or the CPSL didn’t want to be embarrassed by another blow-out).

Seems like I was on the right track then?

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Seems like I was on the right track then?

Well, it was only one of the rumoured possibilities that Robin listed. But now that we know the teams played earlier in an unbalanced game and that Brampton are not really ready, it makes more sense to me than it did before.

Result of the exhibition game played Sunday April 25, 2004 at the OSA Soccer Centre in Woodbridge 4:00pm between Toronto Lynx and Brampton Hitmen at 4:00pm. The game was played on a cold rainy late afternoon outside on the fieldturf the Soccer Centre has installed near their indoor facility. This will be where the CPSL teams North York Astros and Vaughan Shooters play their home games this year. The facility has no scoreboard nor pressbox and the aluminum stands installed (so far?) hold about 150 people.

The game started at 4:23pm after the teams agreed to a longer warmup time. The teams were playing in long sleeve sweatshirts and frequent substitutes were allowed. The rain meant that I didn't write notes but dictated only the best plays into my microrecorder. Outfield players were hard to tell apart with only small numbers on the chests of the Lynx gray sweatshirts and sometimes duplicate numbers on the Hitmen pinnies.

19 min...BH goalie Roy Blanche makes two pointblank saves on shots inside his crease.

37 min...BH goalie makes brilliant 12 yard save smothering hard low shot.

43 min...Lynx Joe Mattacchione takes 25 yard shot that deflects off defender about 20 yards out and BH goalie has to change directions and catch ball.

45 min...the half ends. Lynx goalie Richard Goddard didn't have much to do. Hitmen seemed to have more possession of the ball with their passing of the ball but didn't look threatening.

2nd Half:...only an 8 minute break between halves. The rain had stopped.

Hitmen changed their goalie with Tony Swaminathin coming into the game and he had to make a save pushing the ball wide almost right away.

50 min...Lynx cross from right and Lynx Darren Baxter's (?) header in box is caught on bounce by goalie.

51 min...BH Ivan Jurisic GOAL...Jurisic gets 10 yard sharp angle shot from left over goalie Richard Goddard's head into top right corner of net.

The Hitmen then get about five cornerkicks in three minutes.

62 min...BH goalie catches 30 yard shot over crowd of players in box.

64 min...Lynx now win about three cornerkicks and more chances the last few minutes.

77 min...BH player bashes into box after another BH player was injured about 25 yards from goalie and Lynx goalie has to push ball over net on 10 yard shot.

78 min...Lynx Adrian Serioux intercepts backpass and runs in on left from 30 yards and goalie makes point blank save pushing ball left of net from 5 yards.

79 min...BH goalie makes another good low save through crowd of players in box.

82 min...Lynx pressure on from cornerkick from right that flying goalie saves short header from 7 yards out. Then the BH goalie runs forward on another cross and punches ball out of box after another Lynx cornerkick.

92 min...Lynx Edgar Bartolomeu eludes two sliding defenders on left on rush and rolls cross that sliding Lynx player pushes into net from five yards but play ruled offside.

95 min...BH #12 (one of three players wearing that number) chips 20 yarder over Lynx goalie and hits top of bar.

96 min...BH goalie slides out to edge of box on right to prevent Lynx player getting to through ball.

97 min...game ends 6:12pm.

Final Score:......Brampton Hitmen.............1.............Toronto Lynx.......0........

Yesterday's goalie for the Lynx indoor game was Cam McKay and apprentice who player for the U19 SYI team. (I'd reported that wrong yesterday). Lynx coach Duncan Wilde had changed his mind about the A-League scheduling because now he is glad of a gap between last week's away game to Puerto Rico Islanders and next week's road game against Rochester Raging Rhinos. He has seven players who wouldn't have been able to start. The team had four trialists playing today. Darren Baxter has played for English teams Chelsea and Millwall, John Valentine has played Division 2 soccer in Germany. Kelly 'Somebody' came from Syracuse and Damian Pottinger came from Edmonton (but wouldn't you know I picked up a brochure for the Vaughan Shooters inside the Centre and there were pictures of past and present Shooters/Sun Devils including Damian Pottinger!).

Brampton Hitmen didn't have their captain/CPSL MVP Phil Ionadi in today's lineup. Defender Milodrag Admadzic was brilliant in the defence but the whole defensive line held up very well today.

Field conditions were slippery but the field turf held out quite well and seemed positively grass-like compared to the astroturf/parking lot hardness of Lamport Stadium and Skydome. The cost of this installation I heard was something like $800,000 but supposedly rents out for $400 per game.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

The team had four trialists playing today. Darren Baxter has played for English teams Chelsea and Millwall, John Valentine has played Division 2 soccer in Germany. Kelly 'Somebody' came from Syracuse and Damian Pottinger came from Edmonton

Kelly Frederick seems to be the name of the player, had a pretty decent career with UNLV, and was cut by Syracuse. The player is Antiguan and has been capped by their national team but seems to have spent a good amount of time in the States. Whether it was enough to get citizenship there or not is unknown.

Archived