MLS All-Stars v. Real Madrid ?

Silvio

Soccer

Real Madrid Close To Deal With MLS

Thursday, April 22, 2004; Page D02

Real Madrid, the most successful team in European soccer history, has tentatively agreed to play a squad of MLS players in the league's All-Star Game at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass., this summer, sources familiar with the negotiations said yesterday.

"It's all but done," said one source, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks. "If the final details are taken care of, I would think it will be officially announced next week."

The game will probably be held on July 31, a week later than MLS had planned to hold the All-Star Game. The date change would force the league to move several regular season matches, including D.C. United's game at Dallas. ABC-TV is contracted to show the All-Star Game and apparently has agreed to change its programming schedule.

"It's Real Madrid -- it's worth it," another source close to the situation said.

Real Madrid would also play an exhibition in the Los Angeles area, perhaps against the MLS's Galaxy at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.

League officials have declined to comment on the negotiations other than to confirm that Commissioner Don Garber and deputy commissioner Ivan Gazidis met with Real Madrid officials in Spain a few weeks ago.

Real Madrid, which has won a record nine European titles, has the most glamorous roster in international soccer. It includes English midfielder David Beckham, Brazilian striker Ronaldo, French midfielder Zinedine Zidane, Spanish forward Raul Gonzalez, Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos and Portuguese midfielder Luis Figo. However, some of those players, including Beckham, could end up leaving the club this summer.

Last year's MLS All-Star Game matched a lineup of league standouts against Mexican club Chivas at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

-- Steven Goff

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

What's with the all out hate for anything American? Well, soccer wise, at least. [B)]

If it was the Metrostars x Real Madrid, I'd support the Metros. This is different in many ways.

I don't want millions of people all around me running their mouths off about how MLS is better than La Liga, which you know will happen if they beat Real Madrid. [:0]

But in terms of the opposition is what I meant. Isnt' the logic behind playing and MLS All-Star team because the MLS teams need to pool their best players to compete with Real? That's why it makes no sense to me that they would turn around and schedule a match (hypothetical at this point) with Galaxy!

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

But in terms of the opposition is what I meant. Isnt' the logic behind playing and MLS All-Star team because the MLS teams need to pool their best players to compete with Real? That's why it makes no sense to me that they would turn around and schedule a match (hypothetical at this point) with Galaxy!

These tours are all about money. As long as Real can make money and market the team, I don't think they're very worried about competition. Just look at some of the Asian teams they played last summer.

This is not to say that LA wouldn't provide adequate competition, just that I don't think that's what Real are basing their decisions on.

I'll agree with that.

They're about selling a spectacle, and sadly not a very good one at that, to an uninformed (or desperate) public. Blahhh.

Maybe that's not entirely fair and a bit harsh but this whole American tour scheme looks like its around to stay and I honestly don't know if it dose more good than harm.

Bunch of money hungry clubs having a leasurely summer stroll through some Yank stadiums using their names to sell this sad event.

No, I'm not cranky because I'm hung. Was home rather early last night as a matter of fact after a late supper at Gilroy's. It's just disappointing that so many casual footie fans and curious spectators are going to get milked AGAIN watching pick up matchs advertised as displays of Europe's best.

They'll be entertaining after a fashion I suppose, but no ones coming away from one of those matchs converting to footballism.

So there.

Archived