Future teams in the USL

DoyleG

it's interesting that you should mention chilliwack. i am from there. the club is building toward a professional franchise. the chilliwack rapids. they are currently in the fraser valley premier league - and quite the offensive threat...50 goals in 18 games, 15 more goals than the next closest! at any rate, the a-league is out of the question for quite some time but expect a pdl club within the next few years. anything abbotsford has chilliwack wants to do better - just look at our sporting facilities. they built exhibition stadium. so chilliwack built townsend park and now added the landing which has the countries best pitches, a brand new bcjhl stadium, and a brand new aquatic centre...and more to come. the rapids will most likely join the pdl, and play in that for some time until the psl has a western-specific league, and then go a-league. i suspect chilliwack to join the pcsl as well. but the a-league is at least 20 years away when chilliwack's population is expected to be around 115000.

quote:Originally posted by martin lechelt

I don't disagree, but I'd rather see Lethbridge have a well-supported club in the Alberta Major Soccer League. I'd also like to see one or more of the following in that league: Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Red Deer. The crux is that clubs in these locations have to get strong enough to challenge for a spot in the AMSL first.

I believe the AMSL actually has a sort of expansion team on tap for the new season, to play out of Red Deer, called the Renagades. This, according to the ASA (albertasoccer.com) website anyway. Last season, "Edmonton Chile" where actually from Ft. Saskatchewan if I heard correctly. These two possibilities atleast show inititve for getting the AMSL a higher profile in the province.

I have been to some Lethbridge Croatia games over the seasons, the crowds are not big, one or two hundred. The coverage in the local papers is good usually with articles and results. With time and a bit of marketing, a healthy following is not unreasnable.

"Edmonton Chile" is not from Fort Saskatchewan. They only played their two of their games out there at Turner Park (which is a really crappy field, by AMSL standards, just ask Callies and Villians)due to all the other AMSL standard fields not being available or unplayable. I think that Chile would have preferred to play out of Clarke Park by Commonwealth.

Archived