Know Thy Enemy......T&T

Winnipeg Fury

Rangers sign Trinidad international Andrews

GLASGOW (AFP) - Rangers have confirmed that Livingston defender Marvin Andrews, a Trinidad international, has signed a pre-contract agreement with the Ibrox club.

The 28-year-old is available on a free transfer when his contract expires this summer but agreed to join the Light Blues after winning the Scottish League Cup with Livi this season.

Andrews joined Livi from Raith Rovers in September 2000 and helped them reach the Scottish Premier League and, consequently, Europe.

But Livingston were placed in administration in February this year and desperately need to offload and sell players to service the debts at the club before the SPL deadline on May 31.

Rangers' official website, www.rangers.co.uk, reported: "Livingston struck a deal with Andrews that he would be free to go at the end of the season after he agreed to take a wage cut in lieu of the club being placed into administration over financial difficulties."

Stern praise for Glenn..'We complement each other'

Wed Apr 21, 2004

Stern praise for Glenn..'We complement each other'

Playing Away with Lasana Liburd.

Trinidad and Tobago star forward Stern John gave a hint about his preferred strike partner last Saturday as he praised United States Major League Soccer (MLS) bound attacker Cornell Glenn.

John, the most prolific T&T goal scorer since ex-Portugal-based striker and Vibe CT 105 W. Connection youth coach Leonson Lewis, believes that Glenn's mobility alongside his strength and positional play could make an irresistible combination for the "Soca Warriors".

"His pace is frightening," said John, "and, once he learns to use it properly, he will do very well. It should complement me, too, because I can hold the ball up and play.

"I think he is a good player and hopefully he will get that extra experience in the MLS."

John knows all about the benefits of US football-or rather, soccer.

After brief stints at Mercer College, North Carolina and New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers, John made an indelible mark on the North American game with two freescoring seasons for MLS outfit Columbus Crew.

It led to a £1.5 million move in 1999 to English Division One club, Nottingham Forest, who he left to help steer Birmingham City into the Premier League two seasons ago.

John's US stint marked the start of an impressive international career as he cemented his place in the starting line-up, despite a string of talented options, including Dwight Yorke, Arnold Dwarika, Jerren Nixon and Lewis himself.

Glenn, who established himself with Pro League outfit CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh last season after a spell in the Portugal lower divisions, would do well to follow that blueprint.

More importantly, John believes that the positive work ethic and team camaraderie that existed during national coach Bertille St Clair's last stint at the helm is already returning.

T&T's recent 2-1 defeat away to Egypt, he insisted, was in another league from their 2-0 loss to Morocco last year.

"Normally, when we go two goals down, the boys' heads drop," he said. "But this time we never stopped fighting and we got a goal ourselves. And we played good football, too.

"There is just no comparison to our match against Morocco, which was a nightmare

"We still have a long way to go, but it was more encouraging to see the guys pulling together on and off the field."

It was John who got the Warriors' lone item in Cairo-his 45th from 60 international appearances.

Silvio Spann signs with Croatia's Zagreb

By: Shaun Fuentes.

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Silvio Spann has signed a four-year contract with Croatian club Dinamo Zagreb.

The National Under 23 skipper has been away on trials at a few clubs in recent weeks, including Crystal Palace and Derby County, before finally agreeing to terms at Zagreb which is into the 2004/2005 UEFA Champions League.

The 22-year-old Spann is currently with his agent Louis Jeff Affor in England and is expected back home shortly before joining Zagreb for pre-season training on June 5.

Silvio poses in his new club shirt on Friday morning.

Spann, a former St Benedict's College player who last played for Vibe CT 105 W Connection before becoming a free agent, was delighted with his new move.

"Obviously it's another big step for me and this is something I have waited patiently for. I thank God for presenting me with this opportunity. After moving to Italy and playing for a while there and then coming back to play at home, I feel good to be back out here again," Spann told TTFF Media from England on Friday.

"Dinamo Zagreb is a well established club and I feel privileged to have signed with them and also represent Trinidad and Tobago in Croatia now. At the moment I'm just sorting out some minor stuff and I should begin training with the team during their preseason campaign. It's a big challenge but I think once I can maintain my focus and stay free from injury then I should be able to fit into their style of the game," added the former Perugia FC player.

Spann last represented this country at the CONCACAF Olympic qualifiers in Mexico where he was selected on the tournament's All Star team after previously lining up for the Senior national team as well against South Africa, Venezuela and Morocco. He is now anticipating a return to the T&T team under coach Bertille St Clair.

"Playing for your country is always something that you look forward to and once I can get the call again, I will be putting my best foot forward because we have an important period ahead with the World Cup qualifiers starting in June," said Spann.

Meantime, national midfielder Brent Rahim, former player with West Ham United and Bulgaria's Levski Sofia, was on Thursday night named Falkirk FC's Young Player of the Year. Rahim received the award at Falkirk's awards ceremony at which Russell Latapy was also nominated for the Scottish First Division Player of the Year. "It was my first full season with the club and it is a boost for me to see that the club has recognized my contributions. We are just hoping to improve our position in the League and get promoted to the Premiership," Rahim told TTFF Media.

Scotland earns Dundee Utd 3-3 draw with Rangers

(adds quotes, details)

By Desmond Kane

GLASGOW, April 24 (Reuters) - Trinidad and Tobago striker Jason Scotland scored twice in the second half to earn Dundee United a 3-3 draw in a pulsating Scottish premier league match with Rangers at Tannadice on Saturday.

Rangers have already lost the title to champions Celtic, who they trail by 15 points with four games to play, and could not even avenge their 2-0 defeat at United on February 29.

"United came at us in the second half and were more aggressive," Rangers manager Alex McLeish told reporters.

"That's something that's hurt us this season when you need to show more strength, fire and resilience at the back in the last few minutes," said McLeish, whose side have lost the treble of title, League Cup and Scottish Cup they won a year ago.

Former Rangers striker Billy Dodds had put United ahead in the first minute on Saturday before forward Steven Thompson equalised after six minutes and added a 14th minute penalty, awarded for David McCracken's late tackle on Stephen Hughes.

Substitute Hamed Namouchi grabbed a third for Rangers on the stroke of halftime before forward Scotland launched United's comeback from close range just ahead of the hour mark.

Rangers seemed to have held out for a 3-2 win but Scotland fired home in injury time to earn his side a merited point.

There was more bad news for Rangers afterwards when McLeish said midfielder Gavin Rae had twisted his knee before being carried off in the second half.

He is expected to pull out of Scotland's squad for the friendly in Denmark on Wednesday.

Bottom side Partick Thistle lost 1-0 at home to Dundee and are relegated, while their rivals for the drop Kilmarnock beat Hibernian 2-0 to make absolutely sure of staying up.

"It's a disappointing day for us," said Partick manager Derek Whyte. "We're planning for next season and I hope the fans stick with us. It's not the end of the world even if it feels like it at the moment."

Scottish Cup finalists Dunfermline Athletic beat Motherwell 3-0, while Livingston overcame Aberdeen 2-0 at home.

Celtic, who face Dunfermline in the Cup final on May 22, travel to Hearts on Sunday.

Jones signs for Southampton

Issued by Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Communications officer, April 25, 2004

Trinidad and Tobago defender Kenwyne Jones has signed a pre contract with English Premiership side Southampton.

The news was revealed by Jones’ representative Louis Affor on Sunday evening. The former National Under 20 captain last night passed a medical and signed a pre-contract agreement to join the club as soon as the transfer window reopens in July, subject to the granting a work permit, according to Affor. The deal is reportedly worth two years.

The 19-year-old Jones was expected to arrive back in Trinidad on Sunday following a one-week trial at his new club.

Jones, attached to Vibe CT 105 W Connection, had been linked with Scottish Premier League side Rangers, West Ham United, Tottenham Hotspur and Panathanaikos but Southampton won the race to sign the former St Anthony’s College player.

“It’s a big move for Kenwyne because he has signed for a Premiership team and he also had the chance to sign for other big clubs. This will be a tremendous opportunity for him and we hope all goes well from here,” Affor told TTFF Media. Affor also represents Silvio Spann who signed with Croatian club Dinamo Zagreb last week. “The door is opening more for footballers from Trinidad and Tobago and Kenwyne is certainly going to attract attention here as he follows in the footsteps of other Trinidad and Tobago players playing in Europe.”

Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe was delighted to have snapped up Jones saying “He is a tremendous athlete and the coaching staff believe they can turn him into a very good footballer. He has done well on trial so we have got him signed up quickly because a lot of other clubs wanted him. We have paid a fee to his club W Connection and we hope we have got ourselves a very good player. He is certainly not short on confidence!"

Southampton Jones are confident they will secure a work permit because of new regulations regarding the Commonwealth countries.

These will enable him to get a two-year student visa which will entitle him to work while he is here. By the end of that stint, Saints are confident he will have played in the 75 per cent of full internationals to make a full work permit pretty much a formality.

The Southampton website stated “Jones becomes Southampton's first player from Trinidad but follows fellow countrymen Dwight Yorke and Shaka Hislop into the Premiership. It is a relatively cheap gamble for a player of great potential and with proven athleticism.”

quote:Originally posted by Montry

“He is a tremendous athlete and the coaching staff believe they can turn him into a very good footballer. "

Southampton Jones are confident they will secure a work permit because of new regulations regarding the Commonwealth countries.

These will enable him to get a two-year student visa which will entitle him to work while he is here.

It is a relatively cheap gamble for a player of great potential and with proven athleticism.”

Good for Jones, but I think I'm gonna wait and see how glowing this man's future is for now.

Looks like a no-brainer from Southhampdon's point of view. Sure the transfer fee is dick all and Mr. Jones' 1st contract not much better given his circumstances. If he develops into something then great, way to go Saints. You've scooped another player from the 3rd world for nothing (or next to). If he dosen't, you lost a couple of pounds and Mr. Jones goes to the continent or back home. No big deal.

And Rangers can have Andrews. Says more about the state of affairs at Ibrox than it dose about Andrews' quality.

But having said all that, I absolutely agree on the T & T Dark Horse predicition. Most everyone has been barking about a Hondorus boogey-man (which I'm not buying into, yet). Me, I'm thinking there's a couple of island nations who may just be able to get their **** together more than I'd care to see.

I don't fancy T&T at all. They don't have the quality Honduras has and though they're grooming some decent young players, the core of their team is past it. While their forwards are very talented, even John isn't quite up to the calibre Yorke was. No one to pull the strings like Latapy did and some of the veteran steady guys like Ansil Elcock/Tony Rougier are past it as well.

They'll make it to the Hex, but I think a slow start could do them in, especially if they don't have a lot of friendlies to prepare them for the next round. The US and Mexico will be tough and whoever comes out of our group will be battle tested and in form. I think T&T finished sixth again.

Despite my dislike for Warner, I do like T&T and would like to see them get to the World Cup, but I don't think this is the group. At least not this time around.

cheers,

matthew

I also wouldn't agree that they have a stronger team than us, even on paper (unless there have been some tremendous changes to their best 11 in the past couple of years that we haven't heard about). Their results since 2000 have been even more disappointing than ours, and even if they do bring back Yorke & Latapy, I doubt those guys will be too much of a factor by 2005 (which is when we would next play them in a meaningful match). I'm not aware of them having any midfielders as strong as Stalteri or De Guzman, just to name two.

I fully expect Canada to get the better of T&T next time. I'm sure none of us have forgotten that they put us out of the 2002 World Cup, and I can assure you that our players are even more aware of that fact...

What tips the scales for T&T, is they now have more talent and depth in goal. Canada's historic strong point is now cause for concern.

As usual they have a ton of depth at the striker position. T&T has always been deeper than Canada at this position. I would again give T&T a slight advantage. (not gaping)

The middle and defence are roughly even.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

What tips the scales for T&T, is they now have more talent and depth in goal. Canada's historic strong point is now cause for concern.

As usual they have a ton of depth at the striker position. T&T has always been deeper than Canada at this position. I would again give T&T a slight advantage. (not gaping)

The middle and defence are roughly even.

Well, they probably have an edge for their top keeper in goal with Hislop over Hirshfeld, but its a slim advantage and that's the only one I can really see. Striker position might be a white-wash - we are actually developing quite a nice little bit of depth of our own, with 6 players who have proven capable of scoring at a decent level of play (and that's not including the likes of Friend, Brillant, Dodds or any of the A-league strikers).

What I can't see is T&T's midfield as being even with ours, not if the names mentioned in the articles posted in this thread are anything to go by. If they have others that are playing at much higher levels that we are not aware of, then perhaps I'll reconsider, but from this list, an unproven 19 year old player with a lower table EPL side (we had one of those with Dunfield a little while ago) and two Scottish 1st Division players (one of whom is about 36).... even if you add Rougier & Angus Eve, if that is the core of their midfield it can't be considered roughly even with a team that can put out as starters 2 Bundesliga players (possibly 3 with Imhof), a Benfica player and a soon to be EPL 26 year old. Not to mention a solid group of other midfielders who play in the Bundesliga 2, Sweden, Belgium, Austria (assuming Jazic also doesn't move to the Bundesliga) or the top of the English 2nd Div (which is higher level of play than the Scottish 1st Division).

Radz, Pesch, DeRo, Hume, McKenna and Occean all seem to be able to score at a decent level of play. I'm not counting Stalteri as a striker as with the other 6 I doubt we will see him up there again unless we have a rash of injuries/exodus of new coach haters, but we are talking about "on paper" here. With the other 5 in the mix I suppose it is possible that Occean doesn't used for a while - though I know the CSA are keeping an eye on him - but that would be a sign of depth. I think if he's keeping up his good play in Norway he must be looked at, as you can never have enough depth at the striker position.

Radz, Pesch, DeRo, Hume, McKenna and Occean all seem to be able to score at a decent level of play. I'm not counting Stalteri as a striker as with the other 6 I doubt we will see him up there again unless we have a rash of injuries/exodus of new coach haters, but we are talking about "on paper" here. With the other 5 in the mix I suppose it is possible that Occean doesn't used for a while - though I know the CSA are keeping an eye on him - but that would be a sign of depth. I think if he's keeping up his good play in Norway he must be looked at, as you can never have enough depth at the striker position.

Scotland squad for friendlies v Estonia/Trinidad & Tobago

GLASGOW, May 5 (Reuters) - Scotland manager Berti Vogts named the following 25-man squad for the friendly international matches against Estonia and Trinidad & Tobago on May 27 and May 30:

Goalkeepers: Paul Gallacher (Dundee United), Craig Gordon (Hearts), Scott Shearer (Coventry City)

Defenders: Gary Caldwell (Hibernian), Steven Caldwell (Newcastle United), Stephen Crainey (Southampton), Christian Dailly (West Ham), Malcolm Mackay (Norwich), Jackie McNamara (Celtic), David McNamee (Livingston), Steven Pressley (Hearts), Andy Webster (Hearts)

Midfielders: Colin Cameron (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Peter Canero (Leicester City), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Gary Holt (Norwich), Stephen Pearson (Celtic), Nigel Quashie (Portsmouth)

Forwards: Stephen Crawford (Dunfermline Athletic), Paul Dickov (Leicester City), Andy Gray (Sheffield United), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland), James McFadden (Everton), Kenny Miller (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Steven Thompson (Rangers)

Bertille St Clair selects squad for Iraq, Scotland friendlies.

By: Shaun Fuentes.

National coach Bertille St Clair on Friday selected a 22-man squad for the upcoming friendlies against Scotland and Iraq.

Following build up preparations with the locally-based professionals following the recent encounter with Egypt, while the overseas pros have been campaigning for their respective clubs, St Clair has decided to include eleven overseas-based players to compliment the squad which has eleven local players.

Included in the squad is Chinese-based midfielder Arnold Dwarika who is attached to Beijing Guoan, as well as Crewe Alexandra goalkeeper Clayton Ince who is now back from injury. English-born defender Ian Cox who was a member of the team during the 2002 World Cup qualifying campaign is also back in the team.

The rest of the overseas-based quota includes Stern John (Birmingham City), Shaka Hislop (Portsmouth), Anthony Rougier (Bristol City), Carlos Edwards and Dennis Lawrence (Wrexham), Cornell Glenn (New York/New Jersey Metrostars), Marvin Andrews (Livingston) and Brent Sancho of Dundee FC.

Earning a pick on the squad is Arima Morvant Fire midfielder Denzil Theobald who has impressed in training under St Clair and has also been enjoying a decent spell for his club. There is also room for North East Stars' Jerren Nixon, Kenwyne Jones who recent signed a deal with English club Southampton and defender Marlon Rojas who was recently on trial with MLS club DC United.

St Clair said he expects that the squad selected will prove worthwhile opposition for Scotland which named a potent squad this week for the May 30 friendly at Easter Road, Edinburgh.

"When we get to England there are a few more players I will be taking a look at. There are also some who are nursing injuries at this time. This is a very important and useful camp for the team and we want to give everyone a fair chance," St Clair told TTFF Media on Friday.

"I think it is a balanced team in terms of experience and youth and it is a squad that can do us proud in these two games," he added. Training continues at the Larry Gomes Stadium from 4pm on Tuesday. The squad leaves for England on May 18 and will engage in a training camp at the National Training Centre in Lilleshall. The game against Iraq is carded for May 23 at the West Bromwich Stadium.

T&T Squad For UK Camp:

Goalkeepers:

Clayton Ince (Crewe Alexandra), Duarance Williams (San Juan Jabloteh), Shaka Hislop (Portsmouth).

Defenders:

Brent Sancho (Dundee), Derek King (Joe Public), Dennis Lawrence (Wrexham), Ian Cox (Gillingham), Kenwyne Jones (Southampton), Marvin Andrews (Livingston), Marlon Rojas.

Midfielders:

Arnold Dwarika (Beijing Guoan), Anthony Rougier (Bristol City), Angus Eve (San Juan Jabloteh), Carlos Edwards (Wrexham), Denzil Theobald (Arima Morvant Fire), Kerry Baptiste (San Juan Jabloteh), Kerwyn Jemmott (San Juan Jabloteh), Stokely Mason (San Juan Jabloteh).

Forwards:

Cornell Glenn (NY/New Jersey MetroStars), Stern John (Birmingham City), Jerren Nixon (North East Stars), Nigel Pierre (San Juan Jabloteh).

Scotland Squad From:

Goalkeepers:

Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian), Paul Gallacher (Dundee United), Scott Shearer (Coventry City).

Defenders:

Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian), Christian Dailly (West Ham United), David McNamee (Livingston), Gary Caldwell (Hibernian), Jackie McNamara (Celtic), Malcolm Mackay (Norwich City), Steven Caldwell (Newcastle United), Stephen Crainey (Southampton), Steven Pressley (Heart of Midlothian).

Midfield:

Colin Cameron (Wolverhampton W.), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Gary Holt (Norwich City), Nigel Quashie (Portsmouth), Peter Canero (Leicester City), Stephen Pearson (Celtic).

Forwards:

Andy Gray (Sheffield United), James McFadden (Everton), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland), Kenny Miller (Wolverhampton W.), Paul Dickov (Leicester City), Stephen Crawford (Dunfermline Athletic), Steven Thompson (Rangers).

By JOHN LEES

TRINIDAD & Tobago will prepare for their friendly international against Scotland at Easter Road later this month by taking on Spartans in a closed-doors match the day before.

The newly-crowned East of Scotland League champions have accepted a proposal to host the Caribbean side on the morning of Saturday, 29 May, which could mean Marvin Andrews appearing at the ramshackle City Park for the second time in four months.

The Rangers-bound defender played there for Livingston in their 4-0 victory over Spartans in the fourth round of the Tennent’s Scottish Cup in February and is in a 22-man squad named by Trinidad & Tobago coach Bertille St Clair last week for a trip to Britain which begins with a friendly against Iraq at The Hawthorns on Sunday, 23 May.

Dundee defender Brent Sancho is also in a squad that includes former Hibs midfielder Tony Rougier, now at Bristol City, former Dundee United forward Jerren Nixon, Birmingham City striker Stern John and Shaka Hislop, the Portsmouth goalkeeper.

Trinidad & Tobago, who are ranked 75th in the world and have never played Scotland before, take on Berti Vogts’ side at Easter Road on Sunday, 30 May.

Spartans, who will receive their championship trophy after tonight’s home match against Edinburgh City, yesterday agreed to host Scotland’s opponents, but await further discussions over the venue and kick-off time.

Andre Boucaud Signs a Two-Year Deal With Peterborough United

Fri May 14, 2004 16:11

Peterborough United manager Barry Fry has completed the signing of Andre Boucaud on a two-year deal and the talented youngster is delighted with the opportunity of first team football at London Road.

Boucaud was released from First Division Reading last week and manager Barry Fry held negotiations with the midfield man and his agent at London Road on Friday with the Posh boss pleased to persuade the skilful player to join Posh.

Fry told theposh.com: 'Andre Boucaud is an outstanding talent, as he has shown me, the Posh players and the fans during his loan spell earlier this season and last year. I have had negotiations with Reading all season, they wanted a substantial fee and then they included him in a deal to take Leon McKenzie to the Madjeski Stadium.

'I am rather surprised and absolutely delighted that I have managed to sign him on a free transfer. Andre has enormous talent and given the opportunity I am sure he will prove what a great player he is and what a great acquisition he will prove to be.'

Boucaud told The Posh World: 'I was just glad to get out of Reading to be honest and this represents a fresh start for me. I am delighted to sign for Peterborough, I know a lot of the players from my loan spells here and Barry is very enthusiastic.

'Hopefully next season we can have a good season because I know that Posh struggled a bit this year. I am still young and first team football is very important at my age, so I am delighted to sign for Peterborough United,' Boucaud said.

The New England Revolution announced today that defender Avery John has received clearance from MLS and FIFA to play in tonight’s match versus Sporting CP. John has a signed contract with the league and the Revolution and will be available to play in this Saturday’s home game versus the MetroStars and in the MLS season going forward. Terms of the contract, per league and team policy, are not disclosed.

John is designated as a Senior International, meaning that with John, José Cancela and Daouda Kante, the Revolution now have the MLS maximum three Senior Internationals permitted on a team roster.

Avery John is a Trinidad & Tobago international and has appeared in 49 full senior international matches for his country. He spent the past three seasons of his career playing in the eircom Premier League in the Republic of Ireland, most recently with Longford Town. John previously played for Revolution head coach Steve Nicol with the Boston Bulldogs of the USL’s A-League as well as for the A-League New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers.

Avery John

Jersey No.: 4

Position: Defender

Nationality: Trinidad & Tobago

Ht: 6’0”

Weight: 170 lbs.

DOB: 6/18/75; Point Fortin, Trinidad

Hometown: Vance River, Trinidad

College: American University

Last Club: Longford Town (Rep. of Ireland)

Archived