Potentially more CW games during EPL winter break

Silvio

SOCCER: In N.Y., Jack Bell notes ChampionsWorld officials are "planning to stage some international matches in late December and early January" when the Premier League takes its "first winter break next season." Games could be played in Florida, California or Texas (N.Y. TIMES, 4/7).

Wouldn't this be the greatest act of hypocrisy ever in football? All this bickering over a winter-break for "the sake of the players", and then they waste it with a money-grabbing trip that would probably end up being more energy-consuming than the sum of Prem games that could be played in that time.

Guest concur as safe

Yes, they can use some reserve players. However, the Americans want to see the name players, the ones that will be at the World Cup (and specifically the ones that the rest was designed to help), so many of the starters will play.

Celtic travelled to Florida last year during the very long Scottish winter break and played some University teams. The break was incredabley long however so they did have to do something to remain match fit... most of them found it rather relaxing and enjoyable from what I read.

For the record I'm against a winter break for the purely selfish reason that I don't like to be without footy for any length of time and for sporting reasons because I think that the whole point of a league competition is showing the endurance to go out there week in week out and get a result.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Wouldn't this be the greatest act of hypocrisy ever in football? All this bickering over a winter-break for "the sake of the players", and then they waste it with a money-grabbing trip that would probably end up being more energy-consuming than the sum of Prem games that could be played in that time.

Never mind a winter break, what about the Club World Championship.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Didn't they announce a few weeks ago that there will be no winter break in the EPL next year?

Yes they did! And not only that, but one of the stipulations of the proposed winter break was that no team would be allowed to play friendlies during it! So this story sounds bogus!

The whole winter break idea is pointless anyway. They're still gonna play the same # of games. It's like my boss telling me I could have Monday off, but must work the following Saturday to make up for it!

Archived