Deadline looms for Open Canada Cup entry

http://cpsl.ca/news.asp?news=266

DEADLINE LOOMS FOR OPEN CANADA CUP ENTRY

Any number of teams from last year’s entries were given a chance to win the inaugural CPSL Open Canada Cup, but for whatever reason no one counted on London City.

The team that promotes player development—but not at the expense of winning, GM/headcoach Harry Gauss is quick to point out—turned the tables last year on the best in the CPSL and some very strong amateurs, to lift the hardware and a cheque for $10,000.

It was a tough 1-1 encounter to the 90-minute mark, followed by the team from Southwestern Ontario outscoring Metro Lions 4-2 on penalty kicks, a thriller at The Cove in London on September 1.

It’s year two now and the Open Canada Cup resumes on May 21 and the entries are coming in to bring the amateurs and pro teams together in a competition designed in years to come to single out the best club side in Canada. The next stage is entry in the CONCACAF region’s club championship and beyond.

But that is in the future and the focus today is on an April 30 deadline looming up quickly. The draw for the Preliminary Round will take place during May and these games will be played during the Victoria Day Weekend, May 21 – 24.

Round Two will introduce the pro teams for games during the Canada Day weekend, July 1 – 4 and any A-League entries will be introduced in Round Three to be played during the Civic Holiday weekend of July 30 to August 2.

The semi-finals are scheduled for September 3 –5 with the final game on Labour Day, September 6.

quote:It’s year two now and the Open Canada Cup resumes on May 21 and the entries are coming in to bring the amateurs and pro teams together in a competition designed in years to come to single out the best club side in Canada. The next stage is entry in the CONCACAF region’s club championship and beyond.

Ofcourse that wont happen with only Ontario teams and maybe some Quebec team joining the cup but all I can say is that atleast someone is trying to create at open cup and its not the CSA. Maybe this will grow into a real national cup in a few year, you never know. It would be nice if The LYnx's and Impact entered too.

Hamilton Fan, Sean:

What about this inorder to expand the Open Canada Cup across Canada:

Round 1: amateur teams - the provincial league and provincial cup winners play off against each other to determine the provincial representative. After that there is interprovincial competition to determine 4 winners ie. BC vs Alberta to determine a Western Champion, Sask vs Man to determine a Prairies Champion, Ontario vs Quebec to determine a Central Champion and NS Vs NB, PEI vs. Nfld to determine an Eastern Champion.

Round 2 - the 4 amateur winners are joined by 2 CPSL teams, a PCSL Champion and the National Amateur Champion

Round 3 - the Voyageurs Cup winner and three other A League teams. But if Canadian teams join the PSL and/or more Canadian clubs join the A-League, there would have to be qualifiers to determine the 4 finalists.

Semi-finals and final

Thoughts??

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Ofcourse that wont happen with only Ontario teams and maybe some Quebec team joining the cup but all I can say is that atleast someone is trying to create at open cup and its not the CSA.

The CSA are trying. But I believe (1) they are not doing all they can, and (2) there's a lack of sufficient cooperation from other parties.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

If there is a chance to go to the club championship, you might be able to get the a-league teams into it. Until then its a no win situation for the big clubs

I doubt that a chance to go to the CONCACAF Champions Cup would help. I think they could have already had that chance if they wanted it, but I just don't think they do. It would involve playing in October, November, March and/or early April, plus traveling to Mexico, Central America and/or the Caribbean. I don't think this is appealing to, if even possible for, our A-League clubs.

Actually, I'd like to see Nicole Hartrell asked about this in a future interview.

In regards to the CPSL's article...

I didn't realize that "turned the tables last year on the best in the CPSL" is now a synonymn for "got the Wizards kicked out of the Cup via boardroom shenanigans."

As the BHTC told the Citizens of London last year:

Well you may have won but you got no class

London City sucks!

Mike.

I find it very interesting that the CPSL would have the guts to suggest that this Cup's champ will get to the CONCACAF's play-downs. It is just a leap of faith. I also found it funny that they decided to publish the entire rules this year. (I don't think they didlast year) in big bold print...

4.3 THE CPSL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE ANY OF THE PLAYDOWN FORMAT IN ORDER TO ACCOMMODATE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES. THE CPSL SHALL BE THE SOLE DETERMINANT OF WHETHER A CIRCUMSTANCE IS EXTENUATING. ALL DECISIONS WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING AND ALL ENTRANTS WILL AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE DECISIONS OF THE CPSL, THE CPSL COMPETITIONS COMMITTEE AND THE CPSL DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE.

[:P]After the whole Ottawa Wizards thang... (not thing, thang!)

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

I find it very interesting that the CPSL would have the guts to suggest that this Cup's champ will get to the CONCACAF's play-downs. It is just a leap of faith.

I think what they're saying is that if the Cup can be grown into a truly national tournament ("designed in years to come to single out the best club side in Canada" --- ie. effectively the national cup we've been clamouring for) then the next stage would be entry into the CONCACAF Champions Cup. While I don't think either of these two things will happen as long as the CPSL is in charge, I do commend them for trying and taking more concrete steps than have the CSA.

quote:4.3 THE CPSL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE ANY OF THE PLAYDOWN FORMAT IN ORDER TO ACCOMMODATE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES. THE CPSL SHALL BE THE SOLE DETERMINANT OF WHETHER A CIRCUMSTANCE IS EXTENUATING. ALL DECISIONS WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING AND ALL ENTRANTS WILL AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE DECISIONS OF THE CPSL, THE CPSL COMPETITIONS COMMITTEE AND THE CPSL DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE.
This would be fine if the league was truly a separate entity from the teams. But it isn't, so there is always room for more silly stuff.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

("designed in years to come to single out the best club side in Canada" --- ie. effectively the national cup we've been clamouring for) then the next stage would be entry into the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

I agree, it would be great if all this could come together but it seems to me (as an outsider) to be very splintered; many leagues, clubs, regional associations and national teams all doing their own thing. The CSA seems weak by not having a stronger voice and presence on many situations. I suppose they are having enough trouble trying to get a competetive men's national team, with sites to play WCQ'iers!

Best of luck to the CPSL, hope this season's 'open' cup goes incident free.

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

I agree, it would be great if all this could come together but it seems to me (as an outsider) to be very splintered; many leagues, clubs, regional associations and national teams all doing their own thing. The CSA seems weak by not having a stronger voice and presence on many situations.

Yes! I'm also an outsider, but I completely agree with your assessment (see "(1)" and "(2)" in my post above).

Archived