Next Year Is the Year For a Canadian League

Champs

Take a look at this. You got Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact, Toronto Lynx, Calgary Mustangs, Edmonton Aviaters, Hamilton Thunder, Owtawa Wizards, London Storm. Two Divisins East and West:

Division East: Division West:

Toronto Lynx Vancouver Whitecaps

Hamilton Thunder Edmonton Aviaters

Owttawa Wizards Calgary Mustangs

Montreal Impact Winnipeg Storm

Now Vancouver hows a team to build the league around right now. For a league to showcase its players you need high profile players. And Vancouver has alot of Canadian National Team players. Then you bring players like Mark Watson, Tommy Kouzmanis, Elvis Thomas, Pat Onstad, Paul Fenwick, Carl Flecther, Tony Menezes, Brad Parker, Garet Kusch, Mark Rogers, Richard Hastings, Craig Forest.....And now you bring in the future, players like Joey Todaro, Josh Simpson, Wyn Belotte,Victor Oppong, Nicholas Blichariski,Terry Dunfield, David Masciantonio, Waldemar Dutra, Daniel Fernandes, Alim Karim, Frank Bruno, Richard Assante, Winston Marshall, Semir Mesanovic, Simon Rayner...There you go a high profile Canadian soccer league. Get three major Companies to sponsor the league. CSA will be very interested in cooperating in making this league. The older players that are at there prime will be interested. Players like Craig Forrest, Garet Kusch i guarenteed they will help out the league by playing in it for atleast a year. Next year is the year. We have so many talented young players and so many talented old players that are in need of a Club. We allow five Foreigners on each team. Bring in some older experience players that have a good history. This is the best thing to do, right now for Canadian soccer.

..and to cut down on travel costs they all meet under the giant goose in Wawa, and have it out in a tournament televised in the early morning hours on Rodgers Sportsnet, for one buffo weekend, and everybody goes home and gets on with life....

sorry, still suffering....

I think it would work if you had about 12 teams, as it would cut down the travel costs to somewhere close to where it is with the A-League now.

West:

Victoria

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Saskatoon

Winnipeg

East:

Toronto

Hamilton

Ottawa

Montreal

Halifax?

Newfie & Labs United?

And there would have to be a wage cap, even lower than MLS I presume, lest the smaller franchises (i.e. in the Maritimes) get grossly outspent and quickly go bust.

As lame as the "MLS draft" and all that other crap is, it might be the answer for a new CSL.

West:

Victoria

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Saskatoon

Winnipeg

Thunder Bay

East:

Toronto

Hamilton

London

Ottawa

Montreal

Halifax

St. Lawrence Laurentians (Guaranteed attendances of 3,000+ / game)

<s>Newfie & Labs United?</s>

I guess we shouldn't be too persnickety about dreams for a Canadian league. Dreams are good. If we looked in the mirror, then we might look like all those Brits sniggering when the great unwashed in FIFA decided to start up the World Cup in 1930.

I think the best positive development, towards this extra-decade goal, would be a goal to have, by 2010, a true Open Cup (like they do in the US) involving all Canadian teams, A-League, MLS, CPSL, PCSL, any other league, and the winner of the men's amateur championship. I like the idea of even the neighbourhood beer league having a chance to slog it through the preliminaries, like in the FA Cup in England. Think of the chance of promotion for a corporation like Coca-Cola. If the CSA got off their butts, we might even get a spot in the preliminaries of the CONCACAF Cup ( or a place in an expanded final Group of 16), so that every team in Canada could have at least the chance, no matter how incredibly ridiculous, of being World Club Champion. Pushing for a true cup competition with any existing clubs would bear more fruit than the trying to establish a national league, which would follow in due course in ways we could not now imagine. The horse before the cart.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

I guess we shouldn't be too persnickety about dreams for a Canadian league. Dreams are good. If we looked in the mirror, then we might look like all those Brits sniggering when the great unwashed in FIFA decided to start up the World Cup in 1930.

I think the best positive development, towards this extra-decade goal, would be a goal to have, by 2010, a true Open Cup (like they do in the US) involving all Canadian teams, A-League, MLS, CPSL, PCSL, any other league, and the winner of the men's amateur championship. I like the idea of even the neighbourhood beer league having a chance to slog it through the preliminaries, like in the FA Cup in England. Think of the chance of promotion for a corporation like Coca-Cola. If the CSA got off their butts, we might even get a spot in the preliminaries of the CONCACAF Cup ( or a place in an expanded final Group of 16), so that every team in Canada could have at least the chance, no matter how incredibly ridiculous, of being World Club Champion. Pushing for a true cup competition with any existing clubs would bear more fruit than the trying to establish a national league, which would follow in due course in ways we could not now imagine. The horse before the cart.

I totally agree with you. A CSA Open Cup should be a priority and over and above establishing a league (which seems to be gradually coming together). I would be more ambitious and get it going by the 2005 season.

The next on the list would be some sort of established junior league likely in the Vancouver area where the top juniors throughout the country would play in a winter month league and would be watched over and coached by the CSA coaching staff.

Jus curious. If Americans don't "dream" about an All-American exclusive soccer league, why do Canadians keep thinking about it?

What's the biggie? Two huge countries where it is easier get around up and down that it is sideways SHOULD have intermingling leagues/teams.It make$ cents!

Having said that---can Seattle please apply for Canadian status?:D

Yes, Cascadia is indeed welcome to become the 11th Province, but you have to exile the survivalists and Republicans first!

You know sounderfan, in your second paragraph you have encapsulated

over two centuries of Canadian psychology, economics, history, sociology and political science. Canada is a country against all the odds of rationality, yet here we are. Americans dream about the world becoming American and part of America, Canadians dream about Canada becoming Canadian and a part of the world.

In reality, Continental leagues make sense, just as they make sense in Europe. At least we need our own national cup competition like you do. Herein lies the touchiness you encountered about your proposal about the Cascadia Cup with the Whitecaps. :)

quote:Originally posted by sounderfan

Jus curious. If Americans don't "dream" about an All-American exclusive soccer league, why do Canadians keep thinking about it?

I think Don Logan's got a press conference soon... Oh sorry, this isn't 1995? [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Americans dream about the world becoming American and part of America...

That's a stereotype. There are just as many "live and let live" Americans as anything else, probably more. An Americanized world would be a boring one...[|)]

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

West:

Victoria

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Saskatoon

Winnipeg

Thunder Bay

East:

Toronto

Hamilton

London

Ottawa

Montreal

Halifax

St. Lawrence Laurentians (Guaranteed attendances of 3,000+ / game)

<s>Newfie & Labs United?</s>

DO YOU THINK A TEAM COULD WORK IN SAINT JOHN NB ?

Archived