canada should play against countries of concacaf

javivi

I really worry about the trainning of the canadian team. just a friendly match against wales at the end of may. ohhhhh my god!. Canada should play against Costa rica, Mexico,or El salvador. the team must be accostumed to play with countries of the region. Later when they are in the official mathes, the canadian team have problems. please organize more trainnig matches!!!!!!!!!! look at Jamaica, Mexico,Guatemala... they play many matches against countries of the region and the will be good trained for the qualified-matches to Hermany 2006. i am really worry.....

quote:Originally posted by javivi

I really worry about the trainning of the canadian team. just a friendly match against wales at the end of may. ohhhhh my god!. Canada should play against Costa rica, Mexico,or El salvador. the team must be accostumed to play with countries of the region. Later when they are in the official mathes, the canadian team have problems. please organize more trainnig matches!!!!!!!!!! look at Jamaica, Mexico,Guatemala... they play many matches against countries of the region and the will be good trained for the qualified-matches to Hermany 2006. i am really worry.....

This is obvious to everyone except the CSA.We remain optimistic however,because the few games we do get are against high level European competition.Our veteran players have played many important games in Central American countries and our younger players have also good experience with the youth teams in CONCACAF and World Championships.

Why do you worry for us?You are Venezuelan aren't you?

Afraid our lot in life is a very limited number of matchs until we get some sort of decent domestic league. Which won't be anytime soon I thing everyone will agree.

Too much travel, too much expence, and most importantly too little time to spare from the European lads to afford us anything but European friendlys.

And I thought the origional logic behind playing non-COCACAF sides was to not allow a familiarity to develop between the teams. And to give the fellows a wider exposure to styles and conditions of play. Works for me. Not playing any home dates for years on end dose not work for me.

Play the home friendlys in Halifax if you must, but Geez, it's just criminal if you don't play at home.

It seems that you place a strong correlation between Canada playing a Concacaf nation before WCQ and our lack of success during WCQ.

That's a stretch. We just weren't that good. Recall the good fortune we had when T&T ran us ragged during Gold Cup 2000 but lost.

Let's play as often as time and money allow.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Seems that people forgot what happened the last time we played a CONCACAF nation before WCQ.

Cheeta is correct when he mentions how difficult it is to get our best players together outside of Europe.Our last game against a CONCACAF nation(Barbados)was with our North American based players.Only a few of those players will get a chance in WCQ.

Even if it is to experiment with new players it is worth it to get more friendlies with CONCACAF teams.

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

It seems that you place a strong correlation between Canada playing a Concacaf nation before WCQ and our lack of success during WCQ.

That's a stretch. We just weren't that good. Recall the good fortune we had when T&T ran us ragged during Gold Cup 2000 but lost.

I don't think the T&T thing was a good reason to not play a pre-WCQ friendly against a CONCACAF team. It's a good reason not to play friendly against Costa Rica, Honrudas, Guatemala, Belize, Surinam, Netherlands Antilles or Cuba. That being said, I think the Edmonton T&T game was very similar to our GC2000 win. We played really well, dominated long stretches, couldn't score, didn't get the breaks or the calls and lost. We were crap for most of the 02 qualifying, but the home games against T&T and Mexico were both good performances where our finishing let us down.

cheers,

matthew

Archived