Whitecaps Sign Xausa and Nash; Sulentic Re-signs

marcl_19

A-League

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Whitecaps Sign Xausa and Nash; Sulentic Re-signs

Davide Xausa

VANCOUVER, BC - Whitecaps FC Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi announced today that the club has signed midfielder/forward Davide Xausa, midfielder Martin Nash and re-signed midfielder John Sulentic. Xausa signed a three year deal with the club. Nash and Sulentic each signed one year deals.

Xausa, 28, joins the Whitecaps from Falkirk FC of the Scottish League First Division. The six-foot, 170-pound native of Anmore, BC is a member of the Canadian National Team and a veteran international player. Xausa has represented Canada 32 times in his career, most recently on January 18, 2003 in a friendly versus the U.S. His professional experience includes two years with the Scottish Premier League playing for Livingston, where he helped promote the club to the Premier League. Playing for Livingston, Xausa made one of his strongest offensive contributions in a 4-1 win over Dunfermline when he scored two goals to advance the club to the UEFA Cup in 2002. Xausa scored again in the UEFA Cup against Sturm Graz on October 3, 2002. Before playing with Livingston, Xausa played for Inverness and St. Johnstone FC of the Scottish League First Division.

Nash, 28, played the 2003 season with the Montreal Impact and is also a member of the Canadian National Team. The 5'11", 170-pound Victoria native has represented Canada in 30 international matches, most recently in a friendly versus Barbados on January 18, 2004.

Nash brings A-League Championship experience to the Whitecaps having won two straight titles in 2000

and 2001 with the Rochester Raging Rhinos. The midfielder has also been named Second Team All-Star

and All A-League in his career. Nash played one season overseas in the English First and Second Divisions,

and played for Vancouver earlier in his career during the 1995, 1996 and 1999 seasons, totaling eight goals and 13 assists in 58 games. Martin's brother Steve is a guard for the NBA's Dallas Mavericks and his sister Joanne plays soccer for the University of Victoria.

Sulentic, 24, enters his sixth season with the Whitecaps. In 87 games with the club, the midfielder has scored 27 goals and logged 6,218 minutes. The 5'10", 160-pound native of Richmond is Vancouver's all-time assist leader with 33 and this past season was selected as Whitecap's Midfielder of the Year. In his rookie year with the club, Sulentic set an A-League record for most assists in a season with 19, finishing 10th in league scoring and was named Second Team All A-League. Sulentic is a recent addition to the Canadian National Team, earning his first appearance while starting in a friendly against Barbados on January 18, 2004.

well, better than MISL for nash.....Xausa wa shaving a tyought last couple years in scotland so i guess it was a good move for him. whitecaps r a good team to be with as far as a-league is concerned. i would suspect them to be candidates for those games where "mostly domestic" players play in, like the barbados one, as Nash and Sulentic were in that game i think this could help Xausa get more MNT caps.....not a lot more but some more.

The Caps are getting to the point where I think they could do half-decently well in the MLS. Same with the Impact. I wonder if this is what is going on these days--Could the Caps and their soccer-loving rich owner move to he MLS in the next few years? I hope that we start to see young players developing with the Caps, too. It would be nice to see Cam Wilson and others make the team, or at least some sort of reserve team. (Yes, I am dreaming on all fronts.)

Well I'm going to go watch the Whitecaps play :). I watched them 2 years ago for the first time and they were dreadfull and the team they played against was even worse and I think the Whitecaps won 5-2 or something of that sort might have been higher. That showed me the quality of the league unfortunately. But with these signings the team seems to be getting the curve and actually having quality players. All it needs now is a youth system (u-21 and all the way down) and of course a reserve squad.

I was thinking about the MLS comparison also. I think some of the current A-league teams would have competed very well in MLS circa 1996. MLS has improved incredibly since then. A good sign for North American Football

I live in Ottawa, but hope to get to Toronto or Montreal to see a game or two.

Archived