English Pyramid Restucture

argh1

It's alright! I've been called stupid before[:o)]

But would any-one want to take a stab at explaining this to me [B)]

Restructure Chart.

The part , I can't seem to get my head around is : 3 teams will be relagted from Conference League , one ,each to the new Conference League South and North . Where is the third relagated? Also , where are teams , from Isthmian (Ryman) League , Northern (Unibond) League, and Southern ( Dr. Martens ) Leagues , being promoted and relagated to ?

Or, I could just wait, 'till th end of the season, I'm sure it'll make press by then .arghhhhhhh

Here is the best explanation I've been able to find about the restructuring of the "Pyramid", the unofficial fans name of the English football structure below Division Three of the Nationwide League:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/thomas.willis/restructuring/

EXCEPT THAT the second paragraph should read:

"Promotion/Relegation at the end of the 2003/4 Season

The 22 teams that will make up the Conference (level 5) in 2004/5 will comprise: ..."

On the above page, click "New Structure" halfway down the left side for a good chart of the new structure of English football.

To answer your questions, at the end of this season:

1. The top team from each of the Ryman/Unibond/Dr Marten's leagues will be directly promoted two levels to the expanded 22 team Conference.

2. The three relegated teams from this year's Conference will join all the 41 other "top" teams (from the Isthmian (Ryman) League , Northern (Unibond) League, and Southern ( Dr. Martens ) Leagues that apply to the Alliance and meet the criteria for entry), and these 44 teams will make up the two new "leagues", being the "Conference North" and "Confernce South", also of 22 teams each. The placement of these teams will be made from scratch, once the teams are determined, to effectively set up a logical North/South geographical divide (although it may not be exact, as the applying teams are being asked, when they apply, to state their preference as to North or South).

3. The remainder of the teams from the Isthmian (Ryman) League , Northern (Unibond) League, and Southern ( Dr. Martens ) Leagues will be in these three league's reoganized "Premier" or "First" Levels (and the bottom level, or "Second", will be eliminated) .

Promotion/Relegation from the 2004/5 Season:

-Three clubs will be interchanged between the Con and ConN/S:

Bottom three clubs from the Conference relegated

Two champion clubs of ConN and ConS will be promoted

A third club from a series of play-offs between 2nd to 5th in the ConN and ConS will be promoted

- a similair series of promotions and relegations between the two new Con N/S and the three leagues now below will occur

-in terms of placement into the Conference North and Conference North because of relegation and promotion, the Alliance will be free to place the teams in question into the most logical "league". The same applies to which of the three lower leagues the teams will be relegated into.

Looks like fun!

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

On the above page, click "New Structure" halfway down the left side for a good chart of the new structure of English football.

Aren't they wrong wherever they use the name "Nationwide", since from 2004/2005 onwards Nationwide will be replaced by Coca-Cola as the title sponsor? I have always found it funny how so many people seem to think "Nationwide" means "nation-wide". Oh well, it's "Coca-Cola League" from now on! Haha, how silly.

It would have been nice if they would have restructured the naming system as well. It should be standardized so that each league's name immediately tells you what tier it's at. Italy has a better setup in this regard (I learned it once and haven't forgotten it, even if I still don't understand promotion and relegation at the lower levels).

People only get it wrong over here because they dont have that 'bank' here (actually its a building society, more like a canadian 'trust' company ie the old canada trust), if it werre called "CIBC league' noone would have the misconception.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Aren't they wrong wherever they use the name "Nationwide", since from 2004/2005 onwards Nationwide will be replaced by Coca-Cola as the title sponsor? I have always found it funny how so many people seem to think "Nationwide" means "nation-wide". Oh well, it's "Coca-Cola League" from now on! Haha, how silly.

It would have been nice if they would have restructured the naming system as well. It should be standardized so that each league's name immediately tells you what tier it's at. Italy has a better setup in this regard (I learned it once and haven't forgotten it, even if I still don't understand promotion and relegation at the lower levels).

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Nationwide is insurance, Barclaycard is a credit card company.

© Nationwide Building Society. Nationwide is a registered trademark of Nationwide Building Society. Nationwide Building Society, Nationwide Life Limited and Nationwide Unit Trust Managers Limited represent only the Nationwide Marketing Group which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority for life assurance, pensions and unit trust products. They are entered in the Financial Services Authority's Register and their Register Numbers are 106078, 177850 and 177793. For more information you may visit www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. Nationwide Building Society, Head Office, Nationwide House, Pipers Way, Swindon SN38 1NW.

Archived