Players for the European training camp

Bxl Boy

The length of this roster is defiantley disappointing. Hopefully a few more players will be added befor the actuall cam. It would be great to see Terry Dunfield and Emilio Botiglieri, for up and comers, Bent, Nsaliwa, and Pozniack where unfortuate ommissions. Just to see where they can stand with the nats, Fenwick and Xausa be worth a look too.

Any predictions for a "prelim" line up Against Wales?

Mine: n (3-5-2)

L to R

Hirschfeld

Jazic Devos McKenna

Brennan Hutchinson Aguiar DeGuzman Stalteri

Peschisolido Radzinski

Subs: Stamatopolous ('75)

Hume

Bircham

Klukowski

My interpretation of what I read on a Regensburg board was that the discipline issue with Nsaliwa had to do with arriving late for some practices a while back. At the same time, it seemed that he had cleaned up his act and it may be just a matter of time before he returns to the lineup again. Having said that, I would assume Nsaliwa turned down the invitation for that reason until I heard otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Nsaliwa has lost his starting place at Regensburg in the last few weeks and there have been some rumours of the club being unhappy with his discipline or attitude. He played a recent game for their reserve team so there doesn't seem to be an injury problem. Probably under the circumstance he would prefer to stay with the club and try to win back his starting spot, especially as this is just a training camp and not a friendly.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

(assuming of course that he gets the regular playing time in Greenland that are currently expecting)

Last week I inadvertently gave you a laugh and now you've returned the favour. :D (Unless you did it on purpose?)

quote:Its funny though how much the inclusion of Radzinski to something that isn't even a proper friendly is considered so common-place nowadays that nobody has yet commented on it. Can there be much doubt left that he's essentially committed to the Canadian World Cup cause?
I have to agree with Daniel on this one. I guess it depends on your definition of "World Cup cause": if it means "he wants to take part to some extent" then I was convinced of that a while ago, but if it means "he will be there for every game" then I don't see how this training camp is at all relevant and will have to wait until those games (particularly in Central America) come around.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Look at the number of players included who were never or seldom called by Holger: Aguiar, Klukowski, Hume, Hutchinson, Jazic and Stamatopoulos.

This is more unfair Osieck bashing. (EDIT: I don't mean more bashing by you, I mean in general. Since Osieck left I think that many people have been too hard on him.) He was coach for only 6 matches last year and Hutchinson appeared in 4 of them and Hume in 3 (and he was eligible for no more than 5 of the 6). Because of their youth I don't recall too many people being upset when these guys were omitted. The last time Osieck assembled a team was over 8 months ago and since then Hume and Hutchinson have come a long way, so of course they should be more expected to be included now.

As for Jazic, that was completely his fault for failing to show up on multiple occasions (for dubious reasons) when Holger did call him. I'm still keeping an eye on him.

Only Aguiar stands out on that list whose omission by Osieck really upset people. But I fully expect that at some point Yallop will make decisions that have the same effect, it's only natural. I don't understand why this comparison between Osieck and Yallop continues to be made (especially when the media does it). I mean, of course everyone has a clean slate with Yallop at this point; I'm sure it was the same when Osieck took over for Lenarduzzi.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I have to agree with Daniel on this one. I guess it depends on your definition of "World Cup cause": if it means "he wants to take part to some extent" then I was convinced of that a while ago, but if it means "he will be there for every game" then I don't see how this training camp is at all relevant and will have to wait until those games (particularly in Central America) come around.

I'm talking about the former. Barring the most healthy players like Stalteri (knock on wood) I'm not expecting any player will take part in every game. But I think Rad is going to be there for most of them. I can see him missing the odd Central American match, but a qualifying campaign with Rad there 75% of the time is better is better than the one we had last time with him there 0% of time.

And since he'll be returning home to Toronto after the EPL season is over anyway, I fully expect that he will play both matches in Kingston, barring injury.

The full Neil Davidson article posted by WF on the other board also sounded encouraging I thought.

And yes, the Greeland bit was on purpose. ;)

Here 'tis

Canadian soccer coach summons European-based talent for camp in England

BY NEIL DAVIDSON

CP

711 words

24 March 2004

16:45

The Canadian Press

English

© 2004 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

TORONTO (CP) _ Finally, the fun stuff for a national team manager.

Canadian men's soccer boss Frank Yallop is in England, scouting players, rubbing shoulders with managers and prepping for a camp for his European-based players next week at Manchester United's old practice facility.

There was lunch with star striker Tomasz Radzinski and a chat with his Everton manager, David Moyes. Plus Yallop got to see four more of his English-based players _ Jim Brennan, Jason deVos, Iain Hume and Paul Peschisolido _ and talk to their managers.

``It's been a real positive being over here,'' Yallop said Wednesday from Ipswich where he played from 1983 to 1996, ``to see them close up, see them in their own environment and feel their emotion, what they want to do with Canada.''

It's all part of establishing a rapport, getting to know his players and showing he cares while smoothing the way with club managers for when he needs to pry Canadian talent away from their club teams.

And it's a chance for Canada's elite players to get a taste of Yallop's style. It is only the new coach's second camp since officially taking over Jan. 1, and the overseas pros missed the first _ in January in Florida _ because it was for North American-based players.

Yallop knows he will only have three or four training sessions with his players next week ``but it's a step in the right direction, because it's all brand new to everybody.

``I want to just get a feel of what they're all about, the players, and they get a feel of how I work,'' Yallop said.

Judging from Yallop's January camp in Florida, the overseas pros will find themselves working for a coach with a good sense of humour and an even better sense of what he wants on the field.

Yallop, a former coach of the year in Major League Soccer, is a good communicator who treats his players like adults off the pitch. As a former national team and English club defender, he also has their respect for his playing career.

The camp, which runs Monday through Wednesday, essentially represents the best Canada has to offer. The only players of note missing are goalkeeper Pat Onstad and striker Dwayne De Rosario, both of whom are in training with the MLS San Jose Earthquakes.

Veterans Mark Watson, Carlo Corazzin and Nick Dasovic, all currently with A-League teams, won't be there but are also well-known to Yallop.

Established players such as Radzinski, Peschisolido (Derby County, England), Brennan (Norwich City, England), deVos (Wigan, England) and Paul Stalteri (Werder Bremen, Germany) will be joined by young stars Hume (Tranmere Rovers, England) and Atiba Hutchinson (Helsingborg, Sweden).

The camp also marks a return to the Canadian fold for Fernando Aguiar, a Benfica midfielder who was largely ignored by former coach Holger Osieck.

Yallop chose next week because some 10 European internationals are scheduled, with top clubs freeing up their players for national team duty.

He hopes to visit his players in other European countries after the camp.

Canada is scheduled to play an international friendly against Wales in Wrexham on May 30 before travelling to San Jose, Calif., to play the MLS Earthquakes, Yallop's former team, in a friendly on June 5.

The team will then travel to Ottawa for a four-day camp June 6-10 before leaving for Kingston, Ont., for World Cup qualifying games against Belize on June 13 and 16.

Yallop expects all his players to be available for the World Cup qualifying games in June.

Of the 18 players called up Tuesday, eight play in Britain. The camp roster is a mix of the old and new with seven invitees having less than 10 caps at this level.

Yallop is bringing national under-20 coach Dale Mitchell as his assistant with Paul Dolan serving as goalkeeper coach.

Yallop says no final decisions have been made on his support team yet.

Defender Marco Reda, who plays for Sogndal in Norway, was selected to attend the camp but was forced to withdraw Tuesday with a quadricep injury.

quote: quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Grizzly

Look at the number of players included who were never or seldom called by Holger: Aguiar, Klukowski, Hume, Hutchinson, Jazic and Stamatopoulos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is more unfair Osieck bashing. (EDIT: I don't mean more bashing by you, I mean in general. Since Osieck left I think that many people have been too hard on him.) He was coach for only 6 matches last year and Hutchinson appeared in 4 of them and Hume in 3 (and he was eligible for no more than 5 of the 6). Because of their youth I don't recall too many people being upset when these guys were omitted. The last time Osieck assembled a team was over 8 months ago and since then Hume and Hutchinson have come a long way, so of course they should be more expected to be included now.

As for Jazic, that was completely his fault for failing to show up on multiple occasions (for dubious reasons) when Holger did call him. I'm still keeping an eye on him.

Only Aguiar stands out on that list whose omission by Osieck really upset people. But I fully expect that at some point Yallop will make decisions that have the same effect, it's only natural. I don't understand why this comparison between Osieck and Yallop continues to be made (especially when the media does it). I mean, of course everyone has a clean slate with Yallop at this point; I'm sure it was the same when Osieck took over for Lenarduzzi.

I was a bit unclear here in the players I listed. Actually I meant to point out these players as ones who we have not seen a lot and not necessarily those who Holger was unwilling to call. The list of those that Holger did not call or who didn't want to play for him would be Aguair, Pesch, Watson, Bircham and most A-league players. Among these Pesch and Watson were unquestionably very dedicated to the national team cause. I think Osieck is a very competent coach and that he brought professionalism back to the team after the very unprofessional and incompetent reign of Lenarduzzi. At the beginning there was a clean slate (except for players playing in North America) and the team improved and even won a major tournament. However, Osieck was very lacking in personal management skills, seemed unable to adapt the environment he was in and managed to alienate many of his players and even the fans with his comments and actions. If there had been only one or two incidents such as the Bircham incident, one would think it was the player who was at fault but with so many incidents I think we have to look at Osieck as the one who was not treating the players in a proper fashion. For example, his public comments in German (which I speak) after the German friendly were absolutely shameful and unprofessional and if he makes such statements in public one can imagine what he might have been saying to the players behind closed doors. For the last several years I have not had the impression that Osieck was considering all the available players nor that he was making player selections primarily based on who was performing at the highest level. I think the players also had the same opinion. At the moment I feel from the selections being made that Yallop is giving everyone a fair chance. Hopefully he will continue to do this throughout his mandate. At some point every coach will have to make some controversial or difficult decisions. As a player if I am disappointed that a coach did not select me but think he will give me a fair chance I will work harder to force him to select me in the future. However, if I feel he didn't select me because he doesn't like me personally, doesn't like the league/team I play for, has not adequately scouted me or some other reason, I will probably say the hell with him then. I think the latter situation is the one that occurred in the last years of Osieck's tenure. While this is now actually fairly irrelevant since Osieck in no longer in the position, the criticism is valid as he failed in a key part of his job. As Canadian national team fans we should be thankful for the many good things Osieck did do during his tenure but should not ignore nor refrain from criticizing his serious failings in certain areas. I am hoping that these things will improve under Yallop and he has started well. We can only hope that this remains the case throughout his tenure.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Sorry, but the level the A-League plays at... we shouldn't have players from it on our national team.

Not if we want any chance at qualifications.

For goalkeepers, the step is usualy not very high (look at Howard and ManU), so Sutton is definitely a possibility. Otherwise, we are generally lacking a central defenseman to play alongside deVos. If we can find someone who can fill that role well, it won't matter at which level he plays. Most of the other NA guys are role players or youngsters. Our creative players (especially midfielders) are all playing at a high level or are on their way (Radz, Dero, Stalteri, DeGuzman, Atiba, Brennan, Hume, Bernier, etc.)

I'd expect to see possibly one A-League keeper and one defender, at most, with a starting role in a game that mattered. Incidently, they'd both be Impact ;).

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Sorry, but the level the A-League plays at... we shouldn't have players from it on our national team.

No offense, but I think we should judge the player on his skills

rather than using the league that he plays on as the standard.

Not everybody gets to play in the EPL or Bundesliga 1. Take Lars

for instance, didn't he just practially come in from Calgary PDL?

Didn't Onstad come in from Rochester (ALeague) before San Jose (MLS)?

What about Hutchinson or Nsaliwa -- are they playing at EPL level?

Is 2nd division Dutch league or 2nd division Sweden or 3rd division England, that much better? I sincerely see your point, but consider

our opposition: do they all play at the highest possible level?

We need a skilled team with talent that plays well as a team. The

thing about Honduras, Costa Rica, Mexico, and the USA, is the fact

that they play TOGETHER for A LOT of games. Hopefully Yallop

can figure this out.

But I get what you're saying ... [^]

Bircham would seem to be doubtful for the camp. The suspension for yellows would also explain his absence from this weekend's games even if he is fit.

Bircham faces lay-off

Tue 23 Mar, 4:24 PM

QPR midfielder Marc Bircham faces a lay-off with a knee injury after going for a scan this week.

Bircham complained of pain in his knee after the 2-2 draw at Wycombe last weekend and although X-rays showed no serious damage, the swelling around the joint is a cause for concern.

Bircham is suspended from Rangers' next two matches having accumulated 10 yellow cards this season.

But it remains doubtful whether he will be fit again in time to return from his ban against Grimsby on 10 April.

So here we are, effectively 2 days into the camp and we have heard naught. Who showed up, who didn't, were there replacements. We really do have to get organized and get on the CSA to provide us with some camp reports, even if it is the positive spin stuff only.

Also, I was thinking about the WCQ semi-finals and wondering if we would not be well advised to touch base with the CSA now about a Voyageurs section for the three home games. One would think they could accomodate that with ample notice.

More of the same. This is failing to attempt to see new talent.

What people refuse to see is that these are the players who generally have been unsuccesful in the past. Why not experiment. Would it hurt so bad to look at Dunfield, or Dodds, or Bottiglieri? They surely can be no worse than what is there.

Please Frank, expand your horizons. Bobby was fired for this very reason, and that is what gave Holger not success.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

More of the same. This is failing to attempt to see new talent.

What people refuse to see is that these are the players who generally have been unsuccesful in the past. Why not experiment. Would it hurt so bad to look at Dunfield, or Dodds, or Bottiglieri? They surely can be no worse than what is there.

I would differ with you because there are only a few months to see

most of the "A" team and some of these guys you are suggesting may not be available. I mean, would you take Dunfield over Aguiar? Dodds

or Bottiglieri over Hume or De Guzman ? I know I'm exaggerating, but to omit the others already named would be disasterous on this board.

I'm hopeful that Yallop can do some scouting and expand his roster

as the WCQ goes on. And as you know, this Voyageurs board is

gunning for a result against Wales, so you'd want THIS group.

I have to say, I would understand if Hume or DeGu were not given a look because of club commitments, in favour of some new faces. But if I don't see Aguiar capped soon, I'm gonna go stick a couple more pins in my Holger doll.

Purely from frustration, you understand. I wouldn't really wish that kind of voodoo action on a man. But don't make be start on a Frank doll... one loss to Cuba, and I pull out the cornhusks...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

I have to say, I would understand if Hume or DeGu were not given a look because of club commitments, in favour of some new faces. But if I don't see Aguiar capped soon, I'm gonna go stick a couple more pins in my Holger doll.

Purely from frustration, you understand. I wouldn't really wish that kind of voodoo action on a man. But don't make be start on a Frank doll... one loss to Cuba, and I pull out the cornhusks...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Archived