Players for the European training camp

Bxl Boy

Guest Can. in UK

Men's World Cup Team

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Yallop Announces Manchester Camp Roster

Frank Yallop

Ottawa, Ontario –- Canadian Men’s World Cup Team head coach Frank Yallop today named an 18 player roster for a training camp in Manchester, England from March 28 – April 1. The players are all from European-based clubs.

This is Yallop’s second training camp and his first with players from European-based clubs. His first was for primarily North American-based players in January which was followed by a 1-0 win over Barbados in Bridgetown on January 18. Yallop also scouted players at the Olympic Qualifying tournament in Mexico in February.

Canada will begin its final preparations for their World Cup Qualifying series against Belize with an international friendly against Wales in Wrexham on May 30 before traveling to San Jose to play Yallop’s former team the San Jose Earthquakes on June 5. The team will then travel to Ottawa for a four-day camp from June 6-10 before leaving for Kingston on Friday, June 11 for games against Belize on June 13 and 16.

Marco Reda, who plays with Sogndal in Norway, had been selected to attend the camp but was forced to withdraw Tuesday with a quadricep injury.

Yallop has been in England for the last week scouting and meeting with players.

Preliminary Canadian Roster For Manchester Camp

Name Pos. Club D.O.B. Caps Goals/Shutouts

Lars Hirschfeld GK Tottenham Hotspur, English Premier 10/17/78 16 4

Kenny Stamatopoulos GK Enkopping, Swedish Premier 8/28/79 1 0

Mark Rogers D Wycombe Wanderers, English Second Div. 11/3/77 7 0

Jason deVos D Wigan Athletic, English First Division 1/2/74 43 3

Richard Hastings D/M MV Maastricht, Dutch Second Division 5/18/77 36 1

Ante Jazic D/M Rapid Vienna, Austrian Premier 2/27/76 5 0

Paul Stalteri D/M Werder Bremen, German Bundesliga 10/18/77 47 6

Kevin McKenna D/M/F Heart of Midlothian, Scottish Premier 1/21/80 21 6

Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 21 0

Fernando Aguiar M Benfica, Portuguese First Division 3/18/72 13 0

Marc Bircham M Queen’s Park Rangers, English Second Div. 5/11/78 15 1

Mike Klukowski M La Louviere, Belgium 5/27/81 1 0

Jim Brennan M Norwich City, English First Division 5/8/77 33 3

Atiba Hutchinson M Helsingborg, Swedish Premier Division 3/8/83 4 0

Julian deGuzman M Hanover 96, German Bundesliga 3/25/81 6 0

Iain Hume M/F Tranmere Rovers, English Second Div. 10/20/83 3 0

Tomasz Radzinski F Everton, English Premier 12/14/73 19 5

Paul Peschisolido F Derby County, English First Division 5/25/71 48 9

Staff

Frank Yallop Head Coach

Dale Mitchell Assistant Coach

Paul Dolan Goalkeeper Coach

Morgan Quarry Manager

Kevin Wagner Equipment Manager

Dave Foley Physiotherapist

Sanjay Gupta Doctor

Why limit this to 18? Especially given that it is primarily the usual suspects.

Good To See: Aguiar, Hume, Klukowski and Stamatopolous

Shame about: Reda (injury), Kojic, Occean (probably not a good time to take him anyway), Menezes(!!)

I suppose that Yallop had a chance to look at Friend, Pozniak & Dunfield at the U-23 camp. And Bernier was at the NA camp, but I don't see why they have limited things to 18 for the European camp. If it were up to me, I defintitely would have gone with more, and invited the U-23's, Bernier (again), Kojic and Menezes.

With Bent and Reda injured, this roster is "Tam Nsaliwa" away from being what I expected.

Rogers was probably added to replace Reda. Hastings has, at least, played this season, so might be worth another look. Rhian Dodds seems to have lost his place lately (injured?). I don't think Kappos is playing much either.

I'm sure that many would argue for the lower-tier Norway players to be included but I'd be hard pressed to name anyone (other than Rogers/ Hastings) to pull out. They are mostly young and should get a chance down the road.

I have only two complaints about this roster.

1. The size.

2. Hastings. It is hard to question any of the other player selections given that only 18 are allowed. I might have selected another midfielder ahead of Bircham, but I am glad to see Klukowski, Hume and Aguiar there. I wonder if Hastings was the player selected because of the Reda injury. My suspicion is that he was.

The quality of the midfielders selected looks very strong, although I am not sure if there is a true right-sided player in the bunch.

Consider the following midfield alignment (assuming 3-5-2).

L-R: Brennan, DeGuzman, Aguiar (DM), Hutchinson, Stalteri ;

or in a 4-4-2

Brennan, DeGuzman, Aguiar, Stalteri.

I don't know much about Aguiar, but the rest of our midfielders seem to be of the type that has the ability to go forward, yet are responsible enough defensively that they have spent time playing D for their club sides.

Maybe Nasaliwa is trying to establish himself and needs to stay with his team. How can people say same old same old. Are there anyone else really, after all its a three day camp. If you pick 23 players won't get a realistic look in the games.

Good to see Herchfeld, Hume, Stamatopoulos, Jazic, Rogers, Aguiar and Hutchison included

The surprise ommission is Tam and the disappointing inclusion in Hastings. I realize one plays on the right and the other plays on the left, but there still is something wrong when the much-lesser talented players are included. Tam hasn't played the last few weeks for his club, which I didn't think was due to injury, but perhaps it is. However I will take some solace in that Hume, Hutchinson Klukowski & De Guzman are there so that youth is being incorporated into the team. Occean I can understand given that he is just joining his club, but I hope Yallop keeps an eye on him (assuming of course that he gets the regular playing time in Greenland that are currently expecting).

I was hoping for a 22-man camp (11 vs. 11 scrimmages, made sense to me) which would include a non-jet-lagged Kappos. Pozniak played against Barbados so his exclusion here (with just an 18-man squad) is fine. Same with Bernier, Friend. Poor Reda can't catch a break but at least he is being considered once again, and I expect that if he was there he would have bumped Rogers out of the 18-man team. I expect Gervais & Pizzolitto have the inside track on Rogers in any case once the full squad (of NA plus European players) is put together.

Not too many other concerns. Its funny though how much the inclusion of Radzinski to something that isn't even a proper friendly is considered so common-place nowadays that nobody has yet commented on it. Can there be much doubt left that he's essentially committed to the Canadian World Cup cause?

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

Did Jason Bent pick up another injury or has he been snubbed by club AND country?

I think he's still not quite healthy. He's only appeared as a late sub recently & I expect his club would want him to stay with the team & get fully fit before taking off to play with Canada (especially as Bent first went on the injured list with an injury he picked up in the Ireland match).

Nsaliwa has lost his starting place at Regensburg in the last few weeks and there have been some rumours of the club being unhappy with his discipline or attitude. He played a recent game for their reserve team so there doesn't seem to be an injury problem. Probably under the circumstance he would prefer to stay with the club and try to win back his starting spot, especially as this is just a training camp and not a friendly.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Not too many other concerns. Its funny though how much the inclusion of Radzinski to something that isn't even a proper friendly is considered so common-place nowadays that nobody has yet commented on it. Can there be much doubt left that he's essentially committed to the Canadian World Cup cause?

Showing up to a training camp 1h away from his home is not the same to flying into Guatemala for one game... He's shown up when expected and hasn't shown up when not expected (GC2003). Let's see him in Kingston, first.

I was riding a rollercoaster when reading the list.

Ups and downs followed by nearly barfing when I read Rogers and Hastings names.

Unfortunately like barfing ruins your whole ride, those two names ruined my read of the selected players.

My consolation is that I rate those two well below some of the guys at the North America camp and a couple of up and comers.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Showing up to a training camp 1h away from his home is not the same to flying into Guatemala for one game...

Agreed, but not showing up for a training camp 1 hour away from his home is exactly what he did in 1999, the last time we had one of these.

Well, maybe it was two or three hours in 1999 (Belgium to wherever the camp was in Germany) but the point remains.

The absence of Tam is worrisome if it indicates that Yallop intends to waste Stalteri at right back. I had expected Nsaliwa to start there.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Nsaliwa has lost his starting place at Regensburg in the last few weeks and there have been some rumours of the club being unhappy with his discipline or attitude. He played a recent game for their reserve team so there doesn't seem to be an injury problem. Probably under the circumstance he would prefer to stay with the club and try to win back his starting spot, especially as this is just a training camp and not a friendly.

Rumours?? Who is talking rumours??? He is in the doghouse.

I think it is good that Hastings and Rogers have been called because it shows that Yallop is being thorough and starting everyone with a blank slate. Hastings actually has some skill in my opinion, it is more his mental approach lacking, i.e. anticipating the play, knowing what to do with the ball when he has it, knowing where the other players are. Sometimes a player can improve rapidly and both players are young enough to be useful for some years in the future. I am not saying that I expect either player to be first choice players in the near future (I thought Hastings was terrible against Ireland) but it would be negligent of Yallop to not give them a look and see what they can do or could possibly do in the future. One can also never know what injuries or availability problems may occur with some players in the future so maybe they will be needed at some time. I also can't think of many other players I would rather see who didn't attend the North American camp and don't have a legitimate excuse for not being there that is beyond Yallop's control. I think we should see it as positive that Fenwick was not called as Holger did almost every time, I would certainly rather see Hastings or Rogers in Yallop's plans than Fenwick and if Fenwick were needed in an emergency sitiuation I am sure Yallop could count on him showing up. Look at the number of players included who were never or seldom called by Holger: Aguiar, Klukowski, Hume, Hutchinson, Jazic and Stamatopoulos. Even if Hastings and Rogers don't ever figure in the team again, the rest of the players will feel that everyone was given a fair chance by Yallop and this will increase their respect for him. This is a refreshing change from Osieck who just didn't like certain players and I think many players felt short changed from him which isn't good for team spirit or desire to play for the MNT. If Yallop starts preferring to select Hastings instead of Aguair like Holger did then we should start to worry.

quote: Attitude or not, I'd rather Nsaliwa were there, along with Dodds.

Yallop doesn't have a problem with Nsaliwa's attitude it is Guenter Brandl his coach at Regensburg. I am sure Yallop would prefer that Nsaliwa was there but I think Nsaliwa probably requested not to attend as that certainly wouldn't put him back in his club's good books nor likely to be in the lineup for the next club match. Regensburg also was good enough to let him play the Olympic qualifiers with us so Yallop may not want to ruin his relationship with the club for the sake of a training camp. He also was able to see Nsaliwa in action in this tournament so he knows what he can do. In the overall MNT picture it is more important that Nsaliwa gets playing time in the 2nd Bundesliga than it is that he shows up for a 5 day training camp.

Archived