Stalteri profiles

DJT

Originally posted by hamiltonfan - 03/19/2004 : 12:00:56</u>

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1664

Players In The News

Friday, March 19, 2004

Stalteri and Bremen Eye Double

With just 10 games remaining in the German Bundesliga calendar, Werder Bremen stands on the verge of an historic domestic double. Werder have never won the league and the cup in the same season before. Last weekend a hard-fought 3-2 victory over bottom club Cologne saw them move 9 points clear of Bayern Munich at the top of the Bundesliga table. The victory also set a new club record of 15 straight games without defeat. Then on Tuesday Werder overcame second-division Lubeck in a German Cup semi-final tie by the same score. Their prize is a trip to Berlin on May 29 to face another second-division team, Alemannia Aachen, in a final where their status as hot favourites is guaranteed.

Barring a late collapse, Brampton ON native Paul Stalteri will also enter the record books in May as the first Canadian international player to collect a Bundesliga winner’s medal. (Stalteri also holds the honour of being the first Canadian to score a Bundesliga goal in August 2001). He has been one of the first names on Werder’s team sheet this season, compiling 23 Bundesliga appearances and 2 goals. Versatility is a key component of Stalteri’s game – employed mainly on the right side of midfield, he is also comfortable in the right back position. He is certainly very popular in Bremen. His profile on the club’s official website (www.werder-online.de) declares him both ‘Canada’s advertisement for football’ and ‘Werder’s permanent success story.’ The key reasons for his success? ‘He has staying power, is powerful and ambitious’.

Stalteri’s profile on the Werder website also includes an interesting 20 questions, 20 answers section. His aim for the season? To help his team become German champions. But his biggest dream? To participate in the 2006 World Cup. Stalteri is almost a veteran on the international stage, having made 47 appearances for the Canadian World Cup team since making his debut versus Iran in 1997. With his target for the season firmly in his sights, March 28 will see him in Manchester with his fellow European-based Canucks for a training camp with new national head coach Frank Yallop. Just another step towards making his dream come true? Only time will tell.

John Downing, Vancouver

Originally posted by beachesl - 03/19/2004 : 13:33:06</u>

The Werder web-site is interesting because, besides having German and English language versions, it also has a Chinese version (!, if I can steal one from Nicole, without my mentor form Exclamators Anonymous coming down on me for falling off the wagon). The future are here.

Great team website, a lot of innovations. In Diesel's Profile/Q&A page:

http://www.werder-online.de/english/team/stalteri.php#antworten

,he is typically laconic. The best line is in the introduction:

"Persevering and powerful: Paul Stalteri, Werder`s no 7"

Sorry, but IMHO, the Werder uniforms are butt-ugly. Hopefully, they are at least justified for tradition reasons.

Note: Stalieri will not be able to play in the friendly in Wales on May 30, as the German Cup Final will be on May 29, Werder v. Aachen Allemania, in Berlin. He will be free thereafter for the friendly against San Jose due to the Bundesliga having finished before the end of May.

Originally posted by beachesl - 03/19/2004 : 13:33:06</u>

The Werder web-site is interesting because, besides having German and English language versions, it also has a Chinese version (!, if I can steal one from Nicole, without my mentor form Exclamators Anonymous coming down on me for falling off the wagon). The future are here.

Great team website, a lot of innovations. In Diesel's Profile/Q&A page:

http://www.werder-online.de/english/team/stalteri.php#antworten

,he is typically laconic. The best line is in the introduction:

"Persevering and powerful: Paul Stalteri, Werder`s no 7"

Sorry, but IMHO, the Werder uniforms are butt-ugly. Hopefully, they are at least justified for tradition reasons.

Note: Stalieri will not be able to play in the friendly in Wales on May 30, as the German Cup Final will be on May 29, Werder v. Aachen Allemania, in Berlin. He will be free thereafter for the friendly against San Jose due to the Bundesliga having finished before the end of May.

Archived