Aviators Sign Goalkeeper Campi

beachesl

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1667

Note; What do people think of the term "goalie"?

A-League

Friday, March 19, 2004

Aviators Sign Experienced Goalie

Edmonton, March 19, 2004- Today, the Edmonton Aviators announced that they have signed goalie Jose Luis Campi to a contract for their inaugural United Soccer League season.

Jose Luis Campi is a 6’3’’, 200 lb Argentinean goalie who has spent the last 8 years playing in the Chilean elite Division 1 league. He has extensive experience playing at an elite level.

“We are thrilled to have acquired a goalie of Jose’s caliber for our team. This signing provides us with a key player who can be a cornerstone for our new Men’s A-League team. said Joe Petrone, Director of Soccer Operations for the Edmonton Aviators Soccer Club.

Last year, Jose played for Club Deportes Puerto Montt and is considered to be amongst the top goalies in Chile. During his playing career in South America, Jose has played against some of the world’s top teams and top players including international soccer star Maradona.

“Strong goaltending is critical in order for any soccer team to succeed. Jose provides the strength our team requires. He brings size, experience, and poise to the goalie position,” said Petrone. “Edmonton should be excited to have acquired Campi. He is sure to become a very popular player for Edmonton. We are determined to bring in the best talent available for our soccer teams to ensure that both the men’s and women’s team will be very competitive this season”, said Petrone.

Yes it is the same club as posted on G-L's abroad thread.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1023&whichpage=5

As for the term goalie, I hate it:(. That's not even a eurosnob tendency to prefer keeper to goalie.

With Edmonton having a large Chilean community this may be a move to try and get that potential supporter group excited about the side.

Who do you think they'll get to back-up now, maybe U of A keeper Devon Fraser on an Amateur contract? Maybe a local amateur?

Yes it is the same club as posted on G-L's abroad thread.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1023&whichpage=5

As for the term goalie, I hate it:(. That's not even a eurosnob tendency to prefer keeper to goalie.

With Edmonton having a large Chilean community this may be a move to try and get that potential supporter group excited about the side.

Who do you think they'll get to back-up now, maybe U of A keeper Devon Fraser on an Amateur contract? Maybe a local amateur?

I think "goalie" was a slang term for goalkeeper in northern England and parts of Scotland. Any from the auld north confirm? I remember that old Monty Python skit parodying BBC Football commentators from the north: "Aye, the Yangste River is an inspiring sight for a young Goaaaalie!"

• 2 weeks later...

That is interesting Jeremy. It seems most anglophiles are all over anybody who says 'goalie', saying it's a hockey term. But, mind you, they also get their nuts in a knot over home & away vs home & home and other such things (insert smily here).

quote:Originally posted by Ed

That is interesting Jeremy. It seems most anglophiles are all over anybody who says 'goalie', saying it's a hockey term. But, mind you, they also get their nuts in a knot over home & away vs home & home and other such things (insert smily here).

Gee, wonder who youre talking about? :D

Doesn't matter to me whether Jose is a keeper, goalie, or both ... as long as he is good!

More often than not, I'll hear my kids and their friends use "keeper", while other parents often use "goalie" [this'd explain why Petrone used the word]... so perhaps "goalie" is on the way out?? Of course kids also talk about versing another team - drives me nuts.

Archived