2004 ChampionsWorld Series Schedule Announced

François

ChampionsWorld News

Thursday, March 18, 2004

2004 ChampionsWorld Series Schedule Announced

Seven of the Best Teams in Europe to Participate in Nine Game Schedule

MOONACHIE, NJ – ChampionsWorld CEO Charlie Stillitano announced the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series schedule on Thursday, unveiling an incredible string of matches to be played by seven of the world’s best club teams at seven premier venues across the United States and in Canada in July and August.

Highlighting the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series is the return of Manchester United to America this summer for three games. The reigning Premier League champions will kick off their schedule with a match against Germany’s Bayern Munich at Chicago’s Soldier Field on July 25 before meeting Celtic at Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field on July 28. United will wrap up their pre-season in the United States with a high profile matchup against Italian league leaders AC Milan at Giants Stadium on Saturday afternoon, July 31. While in the United States, Manchester United will base their training operations at the Nova Care Complex, training home of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Joining United atop the ChampionsWorld Series marquee are defending UEFA Champions League holders AC Milan, who will face a strong test from a pair of Premier League teams. The current Serie A leaders will bring the top-ranked club team in the world to meet Manchester United at Giants Stadium on July 31 in the Series’ spotlight attraction, which will be shown live across the country on Fox Sports Net. Following that, the six-time European Cup winners will bring their star-studded lineup to Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field for a matchup against Chelsea on August 2. The return of AC Milan marks the third consecutive year that the Italian club has partnered with ChampionsWorld on a tour of the United States.

Celtic, currently leading the race for the Scottish Premier League title by a wide margin over cross-town rival Rangers, will kick off the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series with a return to Seattle where they will face off against English Premier League high-fliers Chelsea in Seattle on July 24. The English Premier League will provide the opponent for Celtic’s next two games as well when the Glasgow club meets Liverpool at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut, on July 26 before the match against Manchester United on July 28. Celtic will conclude their four-game tour with a match at Toronto’s SkyDome, where they will meet AS Roma on July 31.

London’s Chelsea, who have become one of the most exciting teams in England since acquiring a roster of dangerous players over the course of the last year, will feature in three games this summer. Following the Series opener in Seattle on July 24 against Celtic, Chelsea will help introduce Heinz Field in Pittsburgh to international soccer with a match against AS Roma on July 29. The Blues will end their tour with a Monday night football encounter at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on August 2. Chelsea will use the Pittsburgh Steelers Training Complex as their base of operations during the tour.

AS Roma, currently engaged in a dogfight with AC Milan for the Italian Serie A title, will appear three times in the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series. After opening their schedule with a July 29 game in Pittsburgh against Chelsea, the Rome club will head to Canada for the much-anticipated match against Celtic at the SkyDome on July 31. Roma will finish with another strong test from a Premier League club when they play Liverpool at Giants Stadium on Tuesday, August 3.

Liverpool Football Club will make their first appearance in the United States in decades when they meet Celtic at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut, on July 26. The four-time champions of Europe will meet AS Roma in their final ChampionsWorld Series match of 2004 on August 3 at Giants Stadium.

Tickets will go on sale to the general public beginning March 30 for all games except the August 3 match between Liverpool and Roma at Giants Stadium. Tickets for that match will be available to the general public starting April 13. For more information about tickets before they go on sale, fans can call 800-380-3208. Complete schedule and ticket information can be found at www.championsworld.com.

Fox Sports will broadcast each of the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series matches live across America, with the matches also airing on Spanish-language Fox Sports Espanol.

Fans have the opportunity to reserve tickets to games involving Manchester United and Celtic before they go on sale by signing up for the membership programs being offered by ChampionsWorld. For more information about the Manchester United One United program and the Celtic World Huddle membership program, fans should visit www.championsworld.com/memberships/.

OVERALL ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE SEVEN TEAMS

109 League titles

74 domestic cup titles

18 European Cup/Champions League titles

7 Fairs/UEFA Cup titles

7 Cup Winners’ Cup titles

6 Toyota Cup/World Club Championship titles

7 European Super Cup titles

228 pieces of silverware

SCHEDULE

Saturday, July 24 – Chelsea v. Celtic (Seahawks Stadium, Seattle)

Sunday, July 25 – Manchester United v. Bayern Munich (Soldier Field, Chicago)

Monday, July 26 – Liverpool v. Celtic (Rentschler Field, E. Hartford, CT)

Wednesday, July 28 – Manchester United v. Celtic (Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia)

Thursday, July 29 – AS Roma v. Chelsea (Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA)

Saturday, July 31 – Manchester United v. AC Milan (Giants Stadium, E. Rutherford, NJ)

Saturday, July 31 – Celtic v. AS Roma (SkyDome, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

Monday, August 2 – Chelsea v. AC Milan (Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia)

Tuesday, August 3 – AS Roma v. Liverpool (Giants Stadium, E. Rutherford, NJ)

TEAMS

MANCHESTER UNITED (England)

CELTIC FC (Scotland)

AC MILAN (Italy)

CHELSEA (England)

AS ROMA (Italy)

LIVERPOOL (England)

BAYERN MUNICH (Germany)

VENUES (Capacity)

GIANTS STADIUM – East Rutherford, NJ (80,242)

LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD – Philadelphia, PA (68, 532)

SEAHAWKS STADIUM – Seattle, WA (67,000)

SOLDIER FIELD – Chicago, IL (63,000)

RENTSCHLER FIELD – East Hartford, CT (40,000)

SKYDOME – Toronto, Ontario, Canada (53,506)

HEINZ FIELD – Pittsburgh, PA (64,450)

http://www.championsworld.com/press_box/news_detail.asp?prID=35

...and, finally, dear God, we remember Your most holy words, that "the first shall be last, and the last shall be first".

Please, God, please...make it Monaco v. Deportivo in the final of the Champions League final, and Gençlerbirligi (or Valencia, if You can forgive the cardinal sin of being in the G-14) v. Benfica in the UEFA Cup Final, and I will....ummm....promise never, ever again, to be mean to my fellow posters.

Amen.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Hey man, if you want to pay $100 to see a boring, meaningless, exhibtion match, I feel sorry for you.

More like $35 (for the cheapest seats). Overall, the prices are comparable to a boring, meaningless NHL game.

Hey man, if you want to pay $100 to see a boring, meaningless, exhibtion match, I feel sorry for you.

Did you see last year's game against Juve at Giants Stadium?

And please, don't feel sorry...I had a great time watching Man U, it's a nice change from the A-League...

quote:Originally posted by François

I can't, I'm going to see Man Utd in Jersey...sorry[8)]

There will most-likely be a soccer party the night before (Friday) at "Nevada Smiths" pub and for sure before and after the game on Saturday (like last year). Maybe on the Thursday night during the Chelsea match too. Should be fun! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

There will most-likely be a soccer party the night before (Friday) at "Nevada Smiths" pub and for sure before and after the game on Saturday (like last year). Maybe on the Thursday night during the Chelsea match too. Should be fun! [:P]

Good stuff, I'm meeting a friend in Jersey before the game. Where is the Nevada Smith pub?

I always feel sorry for sheep.

You’re in the wrong thread. I believe you’re looking for the "Ottawa sens try to stop the Leaf Army" thread.

Yes, it is possible to support the local game AND attend a Man United game all in the same lifetime! [8)]

You’re in the wrong thread. I believe you’re looking for the "Ottawa sens try to stop the Leaf Army" thread.

Yes, it is possible to support the local game AND attend a Man United game all in the same lifetime! [8)]

The problem is that 90% of the people at this game wouldn't be caught dead supporting the local game.

Also, I have a major problem with these clubs as well. These are the same clubs that don't support the new Club World Championship, despite the fact that it would only add one game to one team, what a bunch of assholes. Plus, the big European clubs are now saying they want to be paid to release their players for internationals, like their not rich enough. Therefore, I choose not to support these bastards.

Is this your new schtick now? You'll be the local NHL hater? How European.

I always feel sorry for sheep.

A little harsh on your part IMO. Despite what anyone may feel about these clubs, this is an opportunity to see top flight soccer which doesn't happen in Canada. How could anyone pass up on this if you have a chance. I was critical of this tournament before it started last year as well. But after seeing the games on TV, I was pleasantly surprised that the clubs played many, if not all, of their best players. Therefore they treated the fans well by giving them good entertainment. What would you rather see? second division clubs that few people outside of die hard soccer fans know about.

The problem is that 90% of the people at this game wouldn't be caught dead supporting the local game.

Also, I have a major problem with these clubs as well. These are the same clubs that don't support the new Club World Championship, despite the fact that it would only add one game to one team, what a bunch of assholes. Plus, the big European clubs are now saying they want to be paid to release their players for internationals, like their not rich enough. Therefore, I choose not to support these bastards.

Your point about releasing player for international play is valid. But the fact that they don't support the new Club World Championship has everything to do with politics and the fight between FIFA and UEFA and little else. You can make a good case that FIFA is as much at fault and is using this championship as ploy or power play against UEFA whose headquarters happen to be on the same street in Zurich. There are two sides to this dispute and both are motivated by nothing more than greed and power. The case is very well presented in the video series "History of Soccer". I strongly recommend, for anyone who hasn't seen it, to rent the six DVDs. they are available at Blockbuster. It will give you a new perspective on what this FIFA club championship is really all about.

Don't forget that club soccer is very very lucrative in Europe unlike the rest of the world and you have to wonder, for example, where the money came from to allow Jack Warner able to build that posh training centre in his country. Geez why build it in T & T. [B)]

That is just one example. I wonder how the Gold Cup can continue to exist where there doesn't appear to be any significant TV rights and revenues from any major broadcaster. Plus, for most games the stadiums are empty. WE benefit greatly fom the Gold Cup and wish to see it continue but I have to wonder where the money comes from to host this event and keep it going in those prime stadiums. There are many many more examples around the world. Don't forget that the top guy at UEFA was Sepp Blatter's opponent for the top job at FIFA and Blatter's support came from regions such as Africa and Concacaf. Not Europe.

Again, I am not disageeing with your overall point. But, as I said there are two sides and ask youself who is realy benefitting from whom.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Is this your new schtick now? You'll be the local NHL hater? How European.

Put on pants THEN go outside.

Open beer bottle THEN attempt to drink it.

Put on shoes THEN tie them.

Read a thread (maybe twice if you’re a Leaf fan) THEN post on here.[8)]

Of all the teams playing in this "tournament", I'm disappointed with the selection that Toronto gets. Celtic vs AS Roma? Bah. The only worse matchup for me would be an all-Italian one. I would have liked to have seen any of the English teams, and Bayern Munich certainly would have been fun (if only for the reaction from people on this board).

I doubt I'll attend this match. But does anybody know how much tickets will be?

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Of all the teams playing in this "tournament", I'm disappointed with the selection that Toronto gets. Celtic vs AS Roma? Bah. The only worse matchup for me would be an all-Italian one. I would have liked to have seen any of the English teams, and Bayern Munich certainly would have been fun (if only for the reaction from people on this board).

I doubt I'll attend this match. But does anybody know how much tickets will be?

No, Roma/celtic wouldn't be my first choice either but its still top level soccer. Something that you won't see in TO at any other time. I take a different view about seeing Bayern. My fear is that OH would be cheered and that would be too much to take. So I am glad that Bayernm isn't one of the teams playing in TO

I don't see what is so bad about Celtic vs. Roma? Apart from the fact that there is no established rivalry there. I haven't seen much of Celtic this season but their record is impressive enough (their win over a hot Barcelona convinces me), and Roma are one of the more entertaining of the top European clubs when they are on their game (this is coming from someone who hates them).

But this North American tour is all friendlies so I don't think it really matters, anyway. There's nothing at stake, there's no intensity, there'll be substitutions galore, etc., etc. I thought all the games on last year's tour were boring, except possibly for Barcelona vs. Juventus.

As for my feelings about this tour overall, I'm with Massive Attack. I am disgusted by these clubs being so completely uncooperative with FIFA over the CWC. I can't believe the hypocrisy on the part of the clubs, media and fans when they say that FIFA is just trying to milk more money through the clubs. Well, what the heck are these clubs doing by coming to North America? They are milking North American soccer fans! Worse than that, they are taking advantage of these fans, who are salivating to see top-level Euro soccer and pay enough to get it but instead receive absolutely meaningless matches that are not played with any amount of seriousness to warrant the cost and hype. At least the CWC makes perfect sense in sporting terms and would mean something.

I don't blame people here for wanting to attend matches on this tour. But as for the other 99% of people who will be filling the stadiums but don't support anything locally...[}:)]

I feel fully comfortable about watching these tours. Yes, I know they are money grubbing bullcrap tours to promote shirt sales. Yes, I know they are meaningless. Yes, I know the tickets are overpriced.

But as a soccer tourist, the opportunity to watch one of the most exciting teams in Europe (at the moment) in your own town is too much to pass up. I've seen Roma a couple of times in Rome and I'll still attend the skydome thingy. I also wouldn't feel bad about traveling to a city close by to watch another team I enjoy.

I can say all this without shame because I follow local soccer as much as possible. I attend A-League matches. I travel to watch Canada. I travel to watch European League games. I have the right to blow my money on overpriced hot dogs at the crapdome because I've spend far more money on other soccer watching projects. I think most people on the board have put enough effort into local/Canadian/American soccer to afford themselves the sinful luxury of watching famously overpaid eurostars run around pointlessly.

For instance, I would pick watching Canada play, say, Montserrat over any of these games on any given day. But hey, I've got nothing else planned that Saturday afternoon...

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on the fans that will be attending these games, especially the ones that post on this board.

But I stand by my statement that the clubs in this tournament are greedy bastards.

To make matters worse, when purchasing your tickets, you realize that TickeBastard will take their $10 cut for sure.

Archived