BBC: Mexican League is the best in the Americas

Montry

Not exactly clear... Cruzeiro is also currently ranked 3rd in its State Championship behind one team that barely survived relegation in B-level Brazil Championship in 2003 Also a team called America.

Sao Caetano has not been playing well either. It barely reached the second round of the Sao Paulo State Championship this past weekend.

So I wouldn't say having difficulty in the Libertadores in the early rounds as being clear at all. This is round robin yet.

Wait til the chips are down..

quote:Originally posted by DJT

What does the BBC know about South, Central or North American soccer? They very rarely cover it at all. And this article is very superficial. You can't determine which league is better in this manner.

Furthermore, the first place you start when judging a league is the strenght of its national side. Afterall, thats where the bulk of the players in the league will come from. Looking back at past WC's to as far as I can remember, Mexico has not proven to me that they belong in that upper tier.

What does the BBC know about South, Central or North American soccer? They very rarely cover it at all. And this article is very superficial. You can't determine which league is better in this manner.

Exactly! They don't know jack about S. American football! Pick-up any British newspaper or sports magazine and you'll see that the Conference League gets more coverage than La Liga and Serie A put together! S.America gets next to no coverage!

Apparently the author thinks that almost beating Argentine and Brazilian teams means you are better than Argentine and Brazilian teams. [:o)] And needless to say he didn't mention the fact that when the Copa Lib. began the Mexican league was in midseason, while the Argentine League was still in their long summer break.

The only good point he made was that Mexico did not send their best teams. I thought it was pretty sneaky of COMMEBOL not to invite Mexico's two best teams but instead force them to play an interliga tournament to determine which teams Mexico will send (while COMMEBOL rakes in the money made off that tourney for themselves).

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

The national team a good judgement of the League ???

I didn't know the Danish league was so strong...

Well I don't see Denmark in any groups for Euro 2004 this summer. Aside from a surprising run in the Euro championships in 1992 ( I think it was 92) and a good and very entertaining performance at WC 1986, you can't say that the danes have been world beaters. I am not saying that there aren't examples out there to counter my point that the National teams are a good barometre of the strenght of domestic league. But you could have come up with a better example. Or no.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well I don't see Denmark in any groups for Euro 2004 this summer. Aside from a surprising run in the Euro championships in 1992 ( I think it was 92) and a good and very entertaining performance at WC 1986, you can't say that the danes have been world beaters. I am not saying that there aren't examples out there to counter my point that the National teams are a good barometre of the strenght of domestic league. But you could have come up with a better example. Or no.

Denmark is at Euro 2004 in Portugal in June, in Group C with Sweden, Bulgaria, and Italy.

quote:Originally posted by Montry

I note some anger towards Mexico on your reposes ;) .

Actually I agree that the Mexican league could be the strongest, but the way the author of that article tries to proove it is all wrong!

As for MLS, I would say they have a long-way to go to reach the level of the Trinidad & Tobago and Costa Rican leagues based on results of the Concacaf Champions Cup last week! ;)

Well, what does BBC Sport (as opposed to BBC News, which has great international coverage) know about European football?

Title of sole article on Spanish Cup Final: "Beckham misses out on a cup".

The wogs begin at Calais.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Actually I agree that the Mexican league could be the strongest, but the way the author of that article tries to proove it is all wrong!

As for MLS, I would say they have a long-way to go to reach the level of the Trinidad & Tobago and Costa Rican leagues based on results of the Concacaf Champions Cup last week! ;)

The Fire pulled back 4 goals to take the seris. Anyone who knows anything about soccer knows why MLS teams tend to struggle in the early rounds of this tournament. Teams in preseason form going against those in mid season form. In Chicago's case they were using 6 new starters, yet still managed to pull it together to take the final.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

The Fire pulled back 4 goals to take the seris. Anyone who knows anything about soccer knows why MLS teams tend to struggle in the early rounds of this tournament. Teams in preseason form going against those in mid season form. In Chicago's case they were using 6 new starters, yet still managed to pull it together to take the final.

But that's MLS' problem and can't be used as an excuse! All they have to do is begin their season a month earlier. If you ask yourself why MLS does not begin their season earlier you'll arrive at the MAIN reason why MLS teams get slaughtered in this competition (they don't care)!

Starting the season a month sooner would be good for many other reasons too (such as having the time to take a mid-season break - especially on World Cup and Gold Cup years).

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Soccer in New England/New Jersey/Chicago in March??? That means preseason in February. Ugh.

Nowhere is it written that they have to play their pre-season in their home stadium? In fact, weren't most teams pre-season in Spain this year? Maybe they could have their pre-season in the Caribbean if they really cared about the Concacaf Champions Cup. Of course, then San Jose wouldn't have an excuse when they lose 3-1 on aggregate to the 3rd-best Costa Rican team ... and that's why the change will never happen!

As for the regular season: if the championship game is in the middle of November, why can't a regular season game occur in the middle of March?

Archived