WOQ: Canada vs. Mexico [R]

DJT

Can't believe that we are even bringing up the excuse that Mex played on Sunday versus Canada's last game being on Monday. These things happen all the time in tournaments or pro sports NO WAY can it even be considered even a contributing factor. Monday night versus Sunday night, what difference does it make? One thing worth mentioning, the kick and run style does indeed take much more of a physical toll on teams who play this way. Plus you are more suceptible to getting fouls. And when your playing in conditions where the ref's are not giving you any breaks, you are more likely to get players sent off.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe that we are even bringing up the excuse that Mex played on Sunday versus Canada's last game being on Monday. These things happen all the time in tournaments or pro sports NO WAY can it even be considered even a contributing factor. Monday night versus Sunday night, what difference does it make? One thing worth mentioning, the kick and run style does indeed take much more of a physical toll on teams who play this way. Plus you are more suceptible to getting fouls. And when your playing in conditions where the ref's are not giving you any breaks, you are more likely to get players sent off.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

On the CBC article Pellerud is quoted as saying "I'm not sure yet" in answer to the question of what went wrong. Pellerud's reply to the question should have been: I haven't figure out yet a good excuse.

There are similar quotes in the Toronto Star this morning. Something along the lines of "I don't know what went wrong." Maybe he should try reading this board, as we were all able to figure it out quite some time ago.

I , have to say , well done , girls. You made it to the semi's. Others will be critical, but .....you don't need us to tell you where you failed. Because you did not, keep on trying , you wore the MAPLE LEAF PROUD so next time the national team calls, go for it!!

What went wrong? player selection to start with. then 4 years of brutal tactics.

This current Canadian team wouldn't beat last years top 7 W-league teams.

We were lucky at the last WC. Won the games we should have won and lost the ones we should have.

A revamp in needed.

Quick thoughts--I'll try to be brief.

1. Yes, thank god, the ref in this game was very, very good. I would like to write a letter to FIFA and CONCACAF praising her merits, but I am too frickin lazy.

2. I agree with Ed, unfortunately. Leblanc's wandering tactics are a detriment to our defensive corp.

3. Our defense is ass. They need to learn how to attack the frickin ball, learn how to control bouncing balls (sorry) before they've bounced several times down field. They need someone to organize them. They need pace and need to know how to work with their keeper (not Leblanc). Morneau should always start!!! We badly need Chapman and Boyd back. Chapman, Boyd, Morneau and Nonen with Swiatek SHOULD be able to get our act together back there. But, they need the right direction.

4. We suck in midfield. I like playing four in the middle, but they have to be the right four. Sinclair is a striker, plain as all get out. Play her up front with Hooper or Latham or Jamani. Or, play Hooper at back. (Is this the last we see of Hooper? I suspect yes)

5. Midfield (again)-- Yes, what is up with Timko? A midfield without Timko and Matheson is just plain wrong. Moscato is coming along, and is a TRUE midfielder. When Chapman and Dennis are back, then we can put one of them in the midfield, too. This is the midfield I'd go with, using Neil as a sub. (If she, too, does not retire soon.):

Dennis/Chapman Timko Moscato Matheson

I like the pace of these wings, the playmaking of Moscato, and the air-strength and defensive strengths of Timko. This is a very young midfield, but let's get them as much experience and guidance as possible.

6. Lang--much better in this game, but still clearly out of shape. her effort was solid, but the skills sorely dragging. She'll come around.

7. Pellerud needs to learn new tactics. Or, fire his ass fast. Options? Hire a top-notch US college coach or hire Stephen Hart. Hart is a damned fine coach. I saw our U17s play in Victoria, and he has our lads playing very smart, very tough defensive, and very fast offensive soccer. He knows how to build a midfield and a defensive corp.

8. The field was ass, but this is not an excuse.

9. Mexico beat us at our own game, and they did so because they have better ball-control skills, better passing, better use of long balls, better pace in most instances, and better coaching tactics. AND, they played like proper soccer players--none of this diving and flailing and latino bs antics. I am very impressed. I hope they do well in Athens. I generally hate Mexican teams, but I mildly admire this one.

10. I love you guys. (No, the Beaver is not stoned. He is at work.)

One more thing, and this is the most important observation I've made regarding this qualifying tournament:

We looked poorly prepared!!

In my estimation, I think we needed a few more weeks of hard training--just to get our touches down--and 3 to 5 more warm-up games. I suspect that for whatever reason, we took this tournament too lightly. Let's hope that Lang and Timko and Dennis and Jamani and the rest of U19s can now focus on their game and development.

Dammit, one more thought, and I'd like to hear your ideas, too:

Bridge and Pellerud have lauded their development system in the past, saying that it has been great to employ the same game systems with the U19s as are employed with the full national team. The argument being that at least all our players are developing under the same mindset.

On the surface, this looks like a sensible, maybe even good idea. But when you look closer, there are massive problems, the biggest being that this assertion is simply not true. To clarify, most of our players are playing and developing under a very different system: The American one. How many of our players play in US colleges? How many will attend US colleges, where, let's be honest, they will spend more time practicing soccer and becoming rounded players than they ever will under the national program? How many, too, ply their trade in the WUSA? The only players that play a system anywhere similar to the one Bridge and Pellerud are applying are those that play in the W-league, and even then I'm not so sure they are just playing hoof-and-hope soccer. Why are we not taking greater advantage of the excellent training our women are getting south of the border? Why employ an alien system of play?

Thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Dammit, one more thought, and I'd like to hear your ideas, too:

Bridge and Pellerud have lauded their development system in the past, saying that it has been great to employ the same game systems with the U19s as are employed with the full national team. The argument being that at least all our players are developing under the same mindset.

That may be true. But defending that type of play is akin to defending "Porkies" as a cinematic materpiece or "Baby Duck" as fine wine. Sure it can sell in the short term but is that the kind of team or country that you want to known as and the kind message about the game that you want to pass on to the youth? They probably have a point that girls throughout the country play this way at many youth levels. But it doesn't change the fact that its unsophisticated, unrefined and naive. I agree with all the points raised everyone ( past and present) that have been critical. But there is another point that hasn't been raised. That is that playing this way is embarrasing within the global soccer community and difficult to support or be associated with if you are a fan of the game.

Being a born & bred North American with a young daughter who I will coaching and cheering on in her soccer endeavours, please take these upcoming comments at face value. I think there is very little chance of our 'style of play' causing embarassment in the global soccer community. Nobody really cares that much outside of the USA, Canada and those funny people's republics in the South Pacific that also used to have ties with Betty Windsor's people. In other words, I think it is still safe to assume that we are virtually unknown in the global soccer community, despite the much vilified long ball tactics employed by Even Pellerud's charges.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

That is that playing this way is embarrasing within the global soccer community and difficult to support or be associated with if you are a fan of the game.

Bad soccer is tough to support no matter the style. There is nothing inherently wrong with direct soccer IMO. Sweden plays a very direct style and are fine to watch. I just think that first time punts without regard for other options, control or playing for better position to launch a direct attack is a bad version of direct soccer. Pellerud want our ladies to attack as quickly as possible with numerous low percentage long balls. Good direct soccer - IMO -sacrifices some of the quickness of attack to gain a higher percentage on the long balls by playing out of the back to the midfield rather than by-passing the midfield. The U-19s did this pretty well. And it is why I defended the style back when they played.

A perfect example of the flaw of the senior team's style came in the second half when a high ball came to Jamani in the midfield. The was not a Mexican defender with 15 yards of her. Instead of trying to control the ball and look to pass under control she instead tried to head the ball as far forward as she could, turning it over and an attacking chance was lost. I am not pointing the finger at Jamani, because this happened all over the field by every player in a Canadian uniform. It is clearly evident that they are under instruction to bang the ball forward ASAP at every opportunity. And it is just not good soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

That may be true. But defending that type of play is akin to defending "Porkies" as a cinematic materpiece or "Baby Duck" as fine wine. Sure it can sell in the short term but is that the kind of team or country that you want to known as and the kind message about the game that you want to pass on to the youth? They But it doesn't change the fact that its unsophisticated, unrefined and naive.

One might add to your analogy defending the Barenaked Ladies or Celine Dion as being superb musical "artists". I shudder with embarassment when talking to non-Canadians who more often that not view this as representative of Canadian music. You can also add post-1988 Bryan Adams to that list - blah! [xx(][V]

The irony about Porky's is that its director, Bob Clark, had a few years earlier directed what many consider to be the best Sherlock Holmes movie ever, Murder by Decree (and perhaps the best Canadian film of all time, though it was a co-production with the UK), starring the likes of Christoper Plummer, Donald Sutherland, James Mason, and Sir John Gielguld (I believe none of whom subsequently starred in Porky's). After Porky's he did "A Christmas Story", probably the best Xmas movie of all time (you know, the one with little "You'll shoot your eye out!" Ralphie).

Sadly, I am not gettin the impression that Pellerud has a Murder by Decree in him, waiting to come out.

One more thing, and this is the most important observation I've made regarding this qualifying tournament:

We looked poorly prepared!!

In my estimation, I think we needed a few more weeks of hard training--just to get our touches down--and 3 to 5 more warm-up games. I suspect that for whatever reason, we took this tournament too lightly. Let's hope that Lang and Timko and Dennis and Jamani and the rest of U19s can now focus on their game and development.

Sorry, something weird happened with my post. This is what my response should have shown in the above posting:

I agree. Didn't we go to China to prepare? now in retrospect is was a total waste. I still have not seen any explanation as to why Timko didn't play any more after her only 15 minutes in the first game. I am begining to wonder if she will go the way Kiss did. You gotta ask what is wrong with this man Pelle-rot.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I still have not seen any explanation as to why Timko didn't play any more after her only 15 minutes in the first game. I am begining to wonder if she will go the way Kiss did. You gotta ask what is wrong with this man Pelle-rot.

I was wondering about the same thing, but I didn't want to bring it up because I've been badmouthed [8] for questioning Pellerud, especially on GoBigRed, despite the fact that I've never said anything negative about him before this tournament.

I never saw the WWC games, except for some highlights, but I saw many games on TV and in person with Timko over the past few years. Several times she had some impressive carries [8D]of the ball on the right side , from both a mid-field and a defensive position, all of which were impressive both in clearing our zone and instigating attack in the opponent's zone, with some good deliveries. However, this may have clashed with Pellrud's hoof-it-and-chase (or as our Finnish "friends" have called it, "*rsesplashing") style. (Note:I have also supported and defended use by Pellerud of "longball" in appropriate circumstances when that is our strength in the circumstances, but as many posters have pointed out, what we saw in San Jose could not purport to be longball). Now Timko sometimes was overly aggressive ;)and lacked some finesse, but I could see where her unappreciated skills and drive in the possession department could cause problems with Pellrud, especially if she has the temper I have heard some ascribe to her.

I'm going to give Pellerud the benefit of the doubt that he is not vindictive and punishing Timko (and earlier Kiss) for not toeing the party line, but it would sure be nice to know the true background behind the Kiss and Timko questions[?], begging for answers.

Again, I want to end with reitierating the most important point...the players on the WNT have done a great job :Dover the past two years

and deserve our undying appreciation and plaudits!

Perhaps I'm over reacting...But is this acceptable? Is it okay for Canada not to qualify for the Olympics in both the male and female categories?

The men had a million excuses. One of those being...players absent because of club responsibilities (wouldn't happen to any other national program).

What excuse can we come up with for the women's program?

quote:Originally posted by sonofpaup

Perhaps I'm over reacting...But is this acceptable? Is it okay for Canada not to qualify for the Olympics in both the male and female categories?

The men had a million excuses. One of those being...players absent because of club responsibilities (wouldn't happen to any other national program).

What excuse can we come up with for the women's program?

Oh yeah! It happened to Brazil men and they did not qualify. Its a fact more than 5 players were not available for the mens team. FIFA states that clubs do not have to release players for Olympic Qualification

I read all the posts. Coach Pellerud blames the players..The posts blame Pellerud, the wrong players or the players not being in the right positions and the playing style. Canada's soccer is funnily also held hostage to a vision of playing more in the winter. The wind for God's sake is being blamed.

Reality check please.

Our girls are superfit.They did not cover the Mexican superstar,

Quick thoughts--I'll try to be brief.

2. I agree with Ed, unfortunately. Leblanc's wandering tactics are a detriment to our defensive corp.

Apparently the Concacaf people liked her tactics to name her to the All-Star team. I thought Jamani would have made it too, but she only got honorable mention. A bit of an injustice if you ask me.

Archived