Int'l Board dumps Golden goal, rejects 20 m. break

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

In summary, after this summer we are going back to the old way of Extra time, two 15 m. periods, period. Subs for friendlies will be limited to 6, perhaps they are worried about these counting for rankings or something, otherwise I don't think it is that important to have more. The idea to make the half break longer was rejected as well, don't really know the reasons though.

Must say that even with half of the International Board being the historical 4 from the Isles, there is rarely a decision that seems to favour them over the general interests of the game, we are in good hands with the opinions of the founders of football.

Board abolishes golden, silver goals, limits friendly subs to six

February 28, 2004

LONDON (AFP) - World football's rule-making International Board decided to abolish the use of the golden or silver goal rules to settle drawn matches in favour of a return to the classic formula of extra-time followed by penalties from next season.

The Board also decided that national teams will be allowed to make no more than six substitutions in friendlies.

The new rules for deciding drawn matches will not come into force in time for the Euro 2004 championships in Portugal this summer but it will mean changes for knockout matches in the Champions League next season.

Euro 2000 was decided by David Trezeguet's golden goal for France in extra-time against Italy. Under the golden goal system, play stops immediately if a team scores in extra-time.

Under the silver goal system, now used in the Champions League, UEFA Cup and European Championships, if a team scores play continues until the end of that period of extra time giving the opposing team a chance to come back.

The move on substitutes was instigated by FIFA's powerful president, Sepp Blatter, who has been highly critical of managers making wholescale changes to their line-ups, arguing that this makes a farce of international matches.

Blatter had initially proposed a limit of five subs but was forced to compromise in view of opposition from coaches including England's Sven-Goran Eriksson who wanted to continue without any limits.

In a friendly against Portugal earlier this month, Eriksson made nine substitutions but still found himself outdone by his opposite number Luis Felipe Scolari, who changed every one of his side's outfield players during the 1-1 draw in Faro.

The International Board which approved the rule changes is made up of the representatives from the four British football associations and four from FIFA. Proposals need the backing of six of the eight members of the committee to be adopted.

The Board also agreed to introduce automatic bookings for players who rip off their shirts in goal celebrations but rejected a proposal to increase the half-time break from 15 to 20 minutes.

The latter move, put forward by the German FA, was aimed at allowing more time for the sale of drinks and food inside stadia as well as for television advertising.

World football's rule-making International Board decided to abolish the use of the golden or silver goal rules to settle drawn matches in favour of a return to the classic formula of extra-time followed by penalties from next season.

Good to see the IFAB has some gumption and independence from Blatter. A good compromise on many isues, with an eye to practicalities and tradition. I thought that they would just rubber-stamp Baltter's proposals, glad to see that I was wrong.

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/mrel,74381.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/3509153.stm

Have to say I liked the Golden Goal though.

Other decisions made include:

1. A recent innovation in Belgium where a coach communicated with his goalkeeper via a radio link has been outlawed.

2. The use of one-piece kits incorporating shirts and shorts, as worn by Cameroon in the recent African Nations Cup, has also been banned.

3. Also, the IFAB did not approve Blatter's proposal to make approved artificial surface acceptable over all competitions, but only for approved competitions. Thus, there has to be approval of the fieldturf

proposed venues for the WCQ's, as applicable before, on the basis of the rule that no natural turf site is available and the competition committee approves. Perhaps Pipe's comments on the "fait d'accompli" comment for Ottawa and Montreal for WCQ semis was based on an assurance from Blatter that he could deliver on his ammendment, which he didn't.

4. Finally, the Referee's proposal to enact the 10 yard moving rule for teams offending free kick preparation was rejected by the IFAB. As was commented on this board before, effective referees should be able to enforce the free kick situation with judicious presence and use of yellow cards. The experiment in some leagues of advancing free kicks 10 yards following dissent will be extended for another season, though.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

4. Finally, the Referee's proposal to enact the 10 yard moving rule for teams offending free kick preparation was rejected by the IFAB. As was commented on this board before, effective referees should be able to enforce the free kick situation with judicious presence and use of yellow cards. The experiment in some leagues of advancing free kicks 10 yards following dissent will be extended for another season, though.

I meant to ask about something I saw in a Brazilian league game a few weeks ago. I rarely catch the Clausura (sp?!), but with each free kick near the area. The referee ran over whipped out a spray can and sprayed a faint mark where the kick was to be taken. He then marched of ten yards and sprayed a line. Quick and easy. None of this one step forward too steps back as the line or the ball encroaches an inch or two each time the ref turns his back. The spray disappeared right away and didn't appear to leave a mark on the turf.

I've never seen this before and though a little surreal at first, I really like it. In the game I saw, the encroachment was less than I usually see and it seemed to speed things along. I'd like to see it adopted all over.

Anyone know how long they've been using that stuff or even what it is?

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I meant to ask about something I saw in a Brazilian league game a few weeks ago. I rarely catch the Clausura (sp?!)

Don't mean to be picky, but Brazil doesn't use the Apertura/Clausura system as do the other South American countries. Also, the national championship does not begin until April, so what you saw was either a state championship match (either Rio de Janeiro state or Sao Paulo state, because that's all they show on FSWC) or a Copa do Brasil match.

And about that spray stuff, I had the same reaction as you the first time I saw it, and also quickly came to think it's a good idea.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by TorontoInferno

They've been using it for a couple seasons now, the last 2 i think, your right, its really effective, especially in a league where everyone seems to be moaning about something, its just one less thing for the ref to worry about! :D

I'm surprised its not been adopted in europe...

This method has been used recently in lesser tournaments in Europe, like in the Catalunya Cup for all Catalan teams. Opinions are that it does indeed reduce movement of the wall and reduces bitching by players as well, all of which means there is less time lost. I think it is a decent idea as years of experience tells us that the refs authority does not often work.

Good riddance to the golden/silver goal!

It would be interesting to see stats that show if the golden goal actually did reduce the number of penalty shootouts! I doubt it somehow.

I agree its good to have half of the int'l board from the isles. I don't need to see commercial breaks or larger nets used in World Cups anytime soon (which would no doubt happen if the isles lost some of their spots to N. America or Asia).

Archived