Mel for Canada

RJB

Everybody fails to mention Emilio Bottiglieri to play for team Canada!

He has played every games this season for Morton, the team is in first place, and they won a championship last year.

He can play midfield or defense, and has been playing as a left wing back despite the fact that he's a right footed player.

Menezes plays in Div 2 China. Although Scotland isn't great football, it's better than China! I'd call Bottiglieri over him, and over Hastings, who's been playing left back.

Check him out:

www.gmfc.net

www.gmst.co.uk

Are you related to Emilio, or have you just lost it?

Scotland is by no means a strong league, especially at the third tier. With the influx of money, interest and foreigners into their game, and with most top Chinese internationals playing domestically, I'd bet that China isn't too far off the leavel of the Scottish league.

Menezes over either of them anyday. Tony is aood GTA boy with good skills and bad luck. He's proven himself at the national team level.

The only thing Emilio has proven on the national stage is that he could quit the u20s with James, and then not crack the u23s with Twamley. Considering that the Twams will call anything with a Euro bone in its body, that might say something.

Sorry. Until Emilio is in the Premier, Menezes over him no question.

The politics that were involved in him being cut by the U-20s were absurd. At that point he was with Hibs, playing in the Premier league, and the coach took a dislike to both him and Russel Huggon. He felt that Emilio should be training despite the fact that he hada twisted ankle.

As for Twamley, he did call him up for a pair of games a couple of years ago, and he managed two games.

Team Canada relies too much on the old guard. Picking players like Mel, would allow some new blood into a floundering team. How can you explain a 35 year old Nick Dasovic getting called up? Or Corrazin, when he hasn't scored a meaningful goal in how long?

In fact, any Whitecap doesn't belong on Canada due to the poor quality that they play night in and night out. Where's the harm in trying out new European players?

Politics aside, Scotland Division 2 is a far too low level of football for international consideration.

Many players in big club youth systems never make it to a decent senior level. You can add Brad Parker, Wyn Belotte and maybe Terry Dunfield (who seems to be improving lately) to your list with Huggon and Emilio.

Carlo Corazzin also made the decisive play to set up our only goal of the match against Estonia.

I'm not saying Corazzin should be a first team regular on the national team, but let's give the guy his due.

As for Emilio Bottiglieri - hey, it can't hurt for Yallop to have a look at the guy. You can't judge a guy just based on where he plays.

And speaking of not judging guys just based on where they play - I have no idea of the quality of the football in the Chinese Jia B but I know what Tony Menezes can do. As long as he's match fit, he deserves to at least be in the reckoning for our back line.

RJB -- good idea to remind people of Mel, but I don't think he's ever really dropped off the radar screen. Playing third level football in Scotland isn't going to get anyone too excited, but if he continues his fine run and Morton moves up, he'll certainly be worth a look and I'd expect him to get a call.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

In fact, any Whitecap doesn't belong on Canada due to the poor quality that they play night in and night out. Where's the harm in trying out new European players?

So you are excluding players who play for the best team in Canada, at the second highest level in North America, but want to include a player playing in a semi-pro third tier league in a very much talent-depleted Scottish league?

Yeah, that's a method for success.

When Emilio can deliver the goods in Division 1 (debateable quality) or the Premier (undebately quality) then lets give him a shot.

However, under your idea, we'll be calling up every Tom, Dick,and Harry that made a few sub appearances for an OK club or that plays in a Europeean lower league simply because the allure of Europe blinds the good judgement of a few.

BC Supporter is right on - nobody forgot about him. Playing tier three Scotland just doesn't get you a call and rightly shouldn't. Unfortunately, where you play does matter.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

RJB -- good idea to remind people of Mel, but I don't think he's ever really dropped off the radar screen. Playing third level football in Scotland isn't going to get anyone too excited, but if he continues his fine run and Morton moves up, he'll certainly be worth a look and I'd expect him to get a call.

Tempted to agree here. Morton is a good sized fish in a rather small pond as football in Scotland goes. When the 3rd largest city in Scotland are barely drawing 10K a game in the premiership, Morton are certain to sometimes be overlooked.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

The politics that were involved in him being cut by the U-20s were absurd. At that point he was with Hibs, playing in the Premier league, and the coach took a dislike to both him and Russel Huggon. He felt that Emilio should be training despite the fact that he hada twisted ankle.

As for Twamley, he did call him up for a pair of games a couple of years ago, and he managed two games.

Team Canada relies too much on the old guard. Picking players like Mel, would allow some new blood into a floundering team. How can you explain a 35 year old Nick Dasovic getting called up? Or Corrazin, when he hasn't scored a meaningful goal in how long?

I would say the A-league is of a much higher standard than Scotland's 3rd tier league.

Guest Jeffery S.

Mel sounds like a nice guy in interviews I've read with him in Scotland.

Let Morton promote to Div. 1. Let them consolidate there and get good results. Then let Yallop call him for a Euro-based friendly if we are short on defenders. Let Morton surprisingly rise to SPL and hold their own in 2005-2006. Let him transfer up to a better side or to Div. 1 England. Let Mel play another friendly in Europe. By late 2006 or 2007 let's try him out for the national side in an official match. Everything takes its time.

How bout we wait and see if he's invited to the Euro camp. If Frank's true to his mandate to unturn every stone then maybe he'll bring in EB for a look-see and see if he plays up to standard. It will be easy to tell if he merits a call-up while training with all the quality that could potentially be at the camp.

Archived