Lynx to replace all 5 foreign spots

Gian-Luca

which is quite the blanket decision, IMO - nice to get rid of one or two that come to mind, but its strange that they are all being automatically replaced, whether they were useful or not.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3003828&l_id=11&t_id=612

Former England international signed by Lynx

February 18, 2004 - (TORONTO, ON) – Networking in the U.K. by the Toronto Lynx head coach, Duncan Wilde, has yielded the first international signing for the 2004 season, left defender, Lewis Blois. Blois is a 22 year old London native and a former English First Division player with Norwich City Football Club, where he spent 3 years on a scholarship before earning a professional contract in 2001. During his time at Norwich City, Blois also represented England at U16 level competing along side present England players Joe Cole (Chelsea) and Gareth Barry (Aston Villa). Blois says, “I am delighted to be joining the Lynx. Playing abroad is something I have always wanted to do and this is the perfect opportunity. Hopefully this can be a great season for us and I am really looking forward to the challenge ahead”.

Lynx head coach, Duncan Wilde is equally excited about Blois joining the club. “We will be replacing all 5 import positions for the 2004 season. The intention being to attract high-quality proven players that very much want to here in Toronto to compliment our young Canadian players as we continue the rebuilding process,” states Wilde. “Lewis Blois is the first international signing from our network in the UK. He is a young left sided defender, developed by Norwich City FC, currently leading the English First Division and also the former Club of Lynx assistant coach Billy Steele. Lewis reads the game exceptionally well. He is a very mature defender with the ability to also get forward and support in wide positions. His 60 first team appearances for Norwich City have proven his quality and readiness for the A-League.”

Blois, who has competed against such soccer powers as Arsenal, Celtic and Chelsea, has spend the last 18 months playing Non League football in England for Kings Lynx FC and Diss Town FC.

SCOTTISH MIDFIELDER ADDS OFFENSE!

Former Scottish Premier Division midfielder, Kris O’Neil has also agreed to join the Toronto Lynx for the 2004 season. O’Neil, 23, a left-footed attacking midfield player will add some offense to the 2004 Lynx roster. His three years at “Hearts” (1998-2001) culminated in a UEFA Cup appearance in 2000, where O’Neil scored in a 3-0 preliminary round victory over Icelandic side IBV. O’Neil spent the 2003 season competing with the Des Moines Menace of the PDL where he scored 4 goals and added 2 assists for 10 points in 14 games. “I am absolutely delighted to be joining the Toronto Lynx,” said O’Neil. “They are a club that has the ambition and desire to be on of North America’s top soccer organizations. Hopefully my performances on the field will help towards Toronto becoming just that. Everyone involved with Toronto this season will be looking to improve on last season’s performance, and I can’t wait to get started in March.”

“We have signed Kris on the principle of bringing some excitement in the wide areas of the team,” stated Wilde. “He is a very creative and skillful player that can play down both the left and right flanks, an out and out winger that also has the ability to play in just behind the strikers. He is an excellent provider for the front line which will be critical in our quest to score more goals”.

The only loss will be Vinchello, but i could see why he would want to replace most of the team from last few years. To put it bluntly... we sucked, And now its time to start somthing new. I will miss Vinchello alot, but i am pretty sure he will find another club and beat us one day :)

Well, we knew Veenhoff wasn't coming back, even though most Lynx fans seemed to think he was more useful than the Lynx coaching staff did last year. Lucas will be no loss at all, in fact his absence will be an automatic gain. Vijnevic was on his last legs. Barclay on the other hand could have been useful, though I didn't view him as the automatic starter that he was used as last year and it wouldn't be right to simply lump him into the same category as Lucas. I do want to see us go with an all-Canuck strike force for 2004 so in that sense his departure won't be a bad thing, but if he is replaced by an

import who is just as useful as Lucas was last year (which wasn't at all) it won't be a good thing.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Lucas and Braclay just didn't score, so I see why they are gone but

was Veenhof that bad? I saw him play against the Impact and thought he had a good game. Comments Lynx fans?

Veenhof, being that much older, asked to be allowed to pursue european options. Great guy, as well as a damn good defender. I will miss him.

I get the feeling that our foreign contingent won't have any difficulty speaking English; hopefully the accents will be decipherable. The boys will become the lads. Trucks will become lorries. The players will have names that won't sound right doing 'La Donna Mobile' to. Farewell jogo bonito. Sigh...Ah well, just win, baby.

Blair

I get the feeling that our foreign contingent won't have any difficulty speaking English; hopefully the accents will be decipherable. The boys will become the lads. Trucks will become lorries. The players will have names that won't sound right doing 'La Donna Mobile' to. Farewell jogo bonito. Sigh...Ah well, just win, baby.

Blair

I am not sure that I would favour the idea of recruiting foreign players at the expense of domestic talent in MOST circumstances. Having said, I do like the idea of bringing in foreign talent if its a recognizable name within a certain community and/or if it means that it will sell tickets. I also think that there may be international players out there who still have some talent & still love the game but whose best years are behind them and they may be willing wind up their careers done in a less competitive setting. This type would also be a valued addition to an A-league club. Provided he brings a positive attitude, being surounded by this kind player(s) could prove a benefit to developing younger talent. The rumour at the end of last year peaked my interest in that the player alledgedly sought by the Lynx would have been perfect IMO. The difference in "star power" from that rumoured play and these two is very drastic to say the least.

The two players mentioned in this article are not recognized and are not going to sell tickets just by their presence. Presumably, they will bring a positive attitude but then there is a dilema. If it turns out that theuir presence greatly improves the team and that there are no domestic players who could have done better, then what does that say about the competitiveness of the league and by extension domestic players?. I would have hoped that the level of play in the A-league is better than the surroundings where they have been playing lately. None the less, at least it shows a willingness to go out a find talent and wish them all the best.

quote:Originally posted by drewsome

It is only 5 spots, the Serioux & Di Placido types are still there too. I don't think they are taking away Canadian Spots. There are plenty of announcements about players still to come. This only gives the Lynx 5 on the field so far.

Actually, with a bit of sleuth's work (well, I sent an email to the Lynx :D), I found out the players who are still on contract from last year. Turns out that Vancouver's boasting about multi-year deals is a bit passe, the Lynx have quite a few guys under contract.. Interestingly enough, Vincello is still under contract with the Lynx.

You can find the whole roster here:

http://www.torontoultras.net/team.html

A guy the Lynx should put in their cross-hairs is Semir Mesenovic, a Canadian U-23 international (granted as a sub vs. St. Vincent). He did score four goals and dished out three assists for Indiana last year in only 14 games. Remember that Indiana were horrid and it is unlikely he'd stay there and play in the PDL. He's from Southern Ontario (London, I believe) and would be a perfect young player to help bolster the attack.

Archived