Pixies reunite

matthew

This might not even be news anymore, but I haven't had time to post this. The Pixies are reuniting and they're starting their reunion tour in western Canada.

4/14 - Winnipeg, MB @ Burton Cummings Theatre

4/15 - Regina, SK @ Doris Knight Ballroom

4/17 - Saskatoon, SK @ Prairieland

4/18 - Edmonton, AB @ Red's

4/19 - Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall

4/21 - Victoria, BC @ Victoria Curling Club

4/22 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom

4/23 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom

They end their tour in California at the Coachella Festival whose lineup is simply phenomenal.

I know it's off topic, but what the hell, the news that I can see one my favourite bands 12 years after they broke up put a big ole smile on my face after a pretty dismal couple of weeks.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

This might not even be news anymore, but I haven't had time to post this. The Pixies are reuniting and they're starting their reunion tour in western Canada.

They end their tour in California at the Coachella Festival whose lineup is simply phenomenal.

I know it's off topic, but what the hell, the news that I can see one my favourite bands 12 years after they broke up put a big ole smile on my face after a pretty dismal couple of weeks.

cheers,

matthew

:( When I heard that they were starting off in Canada I had my fingers crossed for a Toronto date. I guess Ill just have to wait for a while then.. and hope they don't have a fall out on the road :)

quote:Originally posted by matthew

cheers,

matthew

A couple of friends and I are hoping to hit both Alberta shows. If not both, then the Calgary date is already penned in on the calendar as a fer-sher (wife already gave her approval [^]). I was actually listening to Surfer Rosa the other day. Real interesting you should post it, by far one of my favourite bands from my previous life. :D

OH MY GOD I AM SOOOO EXCITED! i only got into them in 95 so i really haven't seen them live. saw frank black open for pearl jam but it wasn't the same. tho he did play wave of mutilation!!! i am sooooooo stoked to see the show at the fabulous commodore ballroom on the 23rd!!!

very excited that some people here are fans!

There's something that's not quite right about the Pixies playing West Edmonton Mall. But I guess where are they going to play now that The Rev has shut down. Playing at a curling club is kind of cool, the Commodore is a legend, Mac Hall is a U of C mainstay. I'm curious about the Winnipeg, Saskatoon (Prairieland???), and Regina venues tho.

They've actually got quite a volume of work to choose from now if they use the Pixies catalogue, the Frank Black stuff...btw does he stay as Frank Black or return as Black Francis?, the Kim Deal/Breeders stuff (Loved Cannonball and Divine Hammer.)

Those who attend...enjoy and report back.

BTW...Pixies fan poll. Favourite album/song

Me: Bossanova/Hang Wire

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

A couple of friends and I are hoping to hit both Alberta shows. If not both, then the Calgary date is already penned in on the calendar as a fer-sher (wife already gave her approval [^]). I was actually listening to Surfer Rosa the other day. Real interesting you should post it, by far one of my favourite bands from my previous life. :D

Doris Knight Hall is the smaller theatre attached to the Centre of the Arts which is a big opera hall kind of place (saw Prince there last year). Doris Knight is bigger than any club in town, but not huge. I think the last band I saw there was Steve Earle in his post-rehab phase. I've never even heard of Prairieland in Saskatoon, but maybe they renamed the Centennial Auditorium? That's where I figured they'd play. Gordon?

Favourite Pixies album is really hard, probably Doolittle. Favourite song is easy, Alec Eiffel is one of my all-time favourite songs and easily my favourite Pixies song.

Frank Black played some Pixies songs in Regina last year (and the crowd was absolutely reverent, I'm thinking I'm going to have to camp out for tickets), but I can't see them doing a bunch of Breeders stuff or even Black solo stuff.

I was tempted to go Winnipeg-Saskatoon-Regina, but it sounds like I'm going to go to Coachella, so I can't afford to burn the vacation time (plus there's some soccer games or something this summer/fall that I'll need vacation time for).

Nice to see people who appreciate good music on here.

cheers,

matthew

Prairieland is one of the buildings on the exhibition ground. Its basically a big warehouse/barn type building. I don't think it has any sort of permanent seating, although it does have a stage area. Would imagine that it would be more of a cabaret type function at that venue although the one's I've been at - and it has been many years - people just tended to crowd around the stage and dance wherever they were.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to beat a dead horse, but a warning for anyone who wants to see this band when (if) they get to your town after this prelim tour. The Pixies sold 1,500 tickets in Winnipeg in four minutes Saturday! In Regina they had sold more 125 in the first minute. No idea if it sold out or not.

Aerosmith tickets were on sale at the same time. Might have been interesting if anyone camped out at the venue.

cheers,

matthew

A friend of mine lined up 3 hours early for Pixies tickets, but didn't get any. Apparently people working for the ticketing agency were able to snap up tickets before the windows officially opened. If they're operating that way, and with some tickets no doubt going to corporate contracts (radio stations and the like), 1500 tickets can sell pretty fast.

Apparently scalpers are already selling tickets for the show on eBay for around $200.

I should specify that I am referring to the Winnipeg show.

That sucks guys. Does anyone know anything about on-line purchasing for things like this works? It sounds like there were a lot of people from around the world ordering on-line while people who lined up were left out in the cold. What's the point of lining up if you just need the fastest internet connection. And selling to staff first? That's shady too. It's bad enough that they set asside the first few rows for corporates or radio stations, but to encourage scalping like this is a pretty bad.

I don't even want to get into the whole Ticketmaster idea of charging more for the best seats.

cheers,

matthew

Old complaints about ticket sales. Dought if the process will ever get better.

Burton Cummings is a HOT venue though. Perfect atmosphere for a Pixies showing. Biggest regret is I missed B.B. King when he called on the place just after the refit when it was still The Walker. That and the Jim Rose Circus. Heard that was hot.

Say what you want about corperate seat alocations when your boss sends you two of the President Seats tickets "mommy corp." buys every year at the Arena for the Ozzy-Finger 11 show you won't complain either. Let me tell you, that was a bit of a conversation.

(Foggy memmory from another lifetime seems to recall The Pixies playing The Spectrum years and years ago. West End Cultural Center? Either way, The Walker is a big step up.)

Speaking of sold out. As I've got the week off from work, I thought it would be a great idea to go see a little heard of band from Scotland at the Horseshoe tonight. Apparently they are better heard of than I knew. Pretty good indie press coverage saying that they're a band to watch, also the Globe & Mail pointed out that British press has made legitimate noise about these guys. They're called Franz Ferdinand. Like I said, my last minute decision means that I'm typing this out instead of enjoying the sold out show.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I DIDNT GET MY TICKETS. IT SOLD OUT! DAMNIT.

Speaking of sold out. As I've got the week off from work, I thought it would be a great idea to go see a little heard of band from Scotland at the Horseshoe tonight. Apparently they are better heard of than I knew. Pretty good indie press coverage saying that they're a band to watch, also the Globe & Mail pointed out that British press has made legitimate noise about these guys. They're called Franz Ferdinand. Like I said, my last minute decision means that I'm typing this out instead of enjoying the sold out show.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I DIDNT GET MY TICKETS. IT SOLD OUT! DAMNIT.

Yeah, I was thinking of going to see Costello at Massey Hall, but the tickets are steep enough without the extra fees associated with ordering. Looks like I'll have to stick to Danko and hit some other concerts in the summer.

I've read about Franz Ferdinand, but haven't heard their music. You reccomend?

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Yeah, I was thinking of going to see Costello at Massey Hall, but the tickets are steep enough without the extra fees associated with ordering. Looks like I'll have to stick to Danko and hit some other concerts in the summer.

Heard the single, Im a fan of it.. I guess you can put them in the whole garage/retro scene, but they seem a bit more than that. Most press I hear compares them to Interpol, another obscure indie band from this side of the pond, which is favourable.

I haven't heard enough of them to either recommend or not (like the article says, their album isn't out in North America yet. I imagine that it should be available through downloads somewhere though.) I've heard a couple of their tracks on KEXP, which is a fantastic station to listen to while at work. http://kexp.org/home.asp?noflash=false

Here's the review of the Toronto show....

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040225/FERDINAND25/TPEntertainment/Music

btw, apologies to Pixies fans as FF has momemtarily co-opted this thread.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Archived